“Good Experience” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #33 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
Newmarket, Ontario
“Good Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

Very good hotel close to the airport. The front desk team and breakfast area staff at this hotel were very focused on good customer service. During breakfast, the staff was very attentive to making sure I had everything thing I needed. Nice team overall and this is what sticks out in my mind the most. The lobby area is very nice. Rooms were quite good and clean...no issues.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
Thank you for the review. I am so glad you had positive interactions with the team and the staff exceeded your expectations. We understand our guests have so many options to choose from and one way to have guests leave wanting to return is to offer them excellent service.

Thank you for the review and we hope you return soon for another issue-free stay. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

kevin.feldman@hilton.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
richmond
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012 via mobile

I expect more for a Hilton hotel. I have always loved the doubletree so was excited to get this through a Priceline bid. The rooms are old and outdated. The carpets were very stained and dirty as well as the windows with the great view of the pentagon. Enjoyed the view but the room was just old with peeling wallpaper and in need of some Sheetrock repair in the bathroom. They did have a flat screen in the room. That was the only plus. The breakfast buffet was ok but the floors were sticky I could not walk. It was like someone dropped a gallon of syrup on the floor. Crystal city was nice though.

Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
Thank you for the review. My apologies for the room condition and I hope you will contact me directly so I can obtain the room number. The engineering team would like to inspect the room and make the needed repairs. We are working on updating our rooms as many rooms in our South Tower have been recently renovated.

I am glad you enjoyed the fantastic view and hope you will return soon. Should you return please advise prior to arrival so I can work to make sure you experience a newly renovated room/suite.

It is possible that someone spilled syrup and I am sorry this occurred. Our breakfast staff typically cleans the floor often, but I am sorry if this did not occur when you were in the Cafe.

Thank you again for the review and I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Lewes, Delaware
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

Although I am a Hilton Honors member and prefer Hilton Brand, I scored this hotel for $65 on Priceline.com. Agree with the other travelers that the parking is very pricey. If you don't need your car perhaps there are places nearby that would be cheaper. The pool was very nice after a long hot day at Arlington Cemetery. Also the revolving lounge! Who knew. My son and I went there for happy hour (5-7) and we sat down and had mozzarella sticks ($7) and a drink and enjoyed the panoramic views. We came up again after dinner to see the lights at night. Very nice, do not miss that.

Regarding the internet (which should be free, sorry) I was able to use the code provided in the lobby in my room and avoid having to pay $12.

Our room was very nice, comfortable beds and climate control. I did hear noise from neighbors bathroom very early in the morning, It was loud enough to wake me. The bathrooms are basic, small and my shower head leaked (room 809).

A really nice thing happened on this trip. We were about a mile away after dinner and I did not see any cabs. I went into the lobby of another Hilton and asked the bellman to call me a cab, well it was a Hilton and the driver shuttled me to the door of this Doubletree, free. (I tipped) Class move for Hilton.

Room Tip: Try to get as high as you can!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. There are meters to park out on the surrounding roads, but you need to be lucky to find an open one. Of course, those are an option on the weekend and/or nights when there is no charge. Other than that, I am unaware of any nearby parking areas that would be cheaper. Our parking prices are in line with other area hotels and much cheaper than hotels inside of Washington DC.

I agree, all guests should experience the Skydome. It is so unique and such as great way to see Washington DC. Thank you for providing your room number so I can pass it on to the Director of Engineering for follow up. He also will follow up on the noise from the bathroom of the adjoining room. I am sorry that you encountered these challenges.

That is nice that the Hilton offered to shuttle you here. I am glad you had a positive experience and hope you return soon. Thank you again for the review and as always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Lexington, KY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

Very pleased with staff at this hotel. Recently had an exceptional situation that required assistance from the front desk. The Front Office Manager (Ms. Safa Ouahidi) was very easily reached and quickly stepped up to resolve the issue. I travel quite a bit and have learned to expect the unexpected. I value hotels that recognize the challenges faced by travelers and I appreciate when extra efforts are made to insure our comfort and safety.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. While I am sorry that you had an issue I am glad Safa was able to efficiently resolve it. We really appreciate you returning and will continue to work hard to exceed your expectations. We much prefer guests let us know when something is not right while he/she is here so we can try to resolve their issue like we did yours.

Thank you again for the review and I hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Saint Paul
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

This hotel has a good location. There is a free shuttle from DCA, and there is a free shuttle to the Pentagon City Metro station. Otherwise, you can walk to the metro station (its about 700 yards away and there is a path that you can take). I was disappointed that we could not check in early and had to carry my laptop computer around D.C. The rooms were older, but clean. It did take a long time to get our room cleaned. We left around 8:00 a.m. to tour D.C. and got back around 4:00 p.m. and our room still had not been cleaned. We went out around 5:00 for dinner and when we came back it was cleaned. We had a very good view of the city and the national mall area. We booked our room on priceline for about $70 per night.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, August 15, 2012
Thank you for your review. Many guests enjoy the complimentary shuttle to Reagan National Airport and to the Pentagon City Metro Station/ Pentagon Fashion Centre Mall. It is nice for our guests to have the option to walk to the Metro/Mall as it is only a 3 block walk (7-10 minutes).

We try to accommodate early check ins, but that is not always possible. The bellman will be happy to store luggage. Laptops can be checked with our security office as we do not allow the bellmen to check these. I am sorry we could offer an early check in to you.

My apologies your room was not cleaned earlier, but I am happy it was done once requested. This hotel has the unique feature of offering fantastic views from many of our guest rooms. To those that are interested in this, be sure to book a view room upon making the reservation.

Thank you for staying with us and I hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Fortaleza, CE
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

The free hotel shuttle, and excellent chocolate chip cookies were nice extras (one had to ask for the cookies after initial check-in, but the front desk folks learned we liked the cookies and offered them when they saw us). Parking at $24 and Wi-Fi at $11.50 were more expensive than at other area hotels we'd stayed at and in the case of our corner balcony room on the 7th floor, worked consistently only if we used our laptop on the front desk near the room's front door (elsehwere we often had no signal). The fact that Hilton charges such fees at all of its "upper" hotels does not make the cost more palatable, and we did in fact pay more than we had at a regular Hlton in downtown San Francisco.

Breakfast is not included. The buffet was about $16 and was good. One morning I ordered an "American breakfast" for about $14, but after adding coffe and OJ ended up paying nearly $20. $4 for a cup of coffee?? One did get free coffee in their room. Our room was large. The bathroom was particuarly large, but much of that was tkaen up by a very big bathtub. The shower, on the other hand, was older and very, very small (the smallest we'd encountered in many hotels). The air con system was loud. There were two TVs-- in the living area and in the bedroom. We had a balcony and opened the sliding glass door to go to it the first night, but the door would not close. Although this was late on a Saturday night, two men from maintenance quickly arrived at our room to fix it. We did hear some airplane noise from National Airport some mornings.

The revolving restaurant and bar on top of the North Tower gives great views of DC and parts of Alexandria. On Friday and Saturday nights there is a $10 cover charge, so we ate in the bar downstairs, but we went to the tower room on other nights, both for food and drinks. Curiously, one gets free nuts with drinks in the downstairs bar but not in the revolving lounge (which was nearly empty some nights).

We walked to the Pentagon City Metro station a few times. Took maybe 10 minutes.

Room Tip: To avoid high costs of breakfast, go to Pentagon City mall or elsewhere. Do take advantaghe of the h...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. The shuttle is an excellent amenity for our guests and I am glad you took advantage of it. As you mention, it is nice to have the option of walking to the Metro/Mall as it is only 3 blocks away (7-10 minutes). Cookies are offered at check in and you are correct, if a guest would like more during his/her stay all he/she has to do is ask. We happily supply cookies upon request.

We do check area hotel parking rates to make sure we are in line and find that our charges are in line with similar hotels as the parking rates fall between $21 and $31. The $12.95 internet charge is pretty standard at full service hotels in the area, but there are some at $11.95 and another at $14.95. Again, we are in line with what the area charges. I am sorry you found these prices to be high. The costs for both parking and Internet vary by area and I am sure the Hilton San Francisco is also in line with what hotels in that area charge. I do know that both the Internet and parking charges are higher inside DC than in Crystal City.

The Internet should have worked in both the living room and bedroom of your suite. Did you let us know of this challenge during your stay? It could have been that the wireless access point servicing your suite needed to be reset. My apologies that this was a challenge for you.

We do have packages that include breakfast in the room rate and I encourage you or anyone else to check our website for these deals if this interests you. I am glad you found the suite to be large. The air conditioning unit should not have been loud and I am sorry if this disturbed you and also for the balcony door not closing. However, I am happy this was quickly fixed.

I agree, the Skydome offers fantastic views. The cover charge on Friday & Saturday nights starts for all guests in the Skydome at 9pm. I recommend to guests that want to go to the Skydome, but want to avoid the cover charge, to come up a 8pm as that is plenty of time to enjoy your meal before the cover charge kicks in. Like most dining establishments, the Skydome can be very busy some nights and much quieter on others. I will pass your comment on the barmix to the Food & Beverage Director.

Thank you again for your review and we hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my reviews to contact me anytime.

Martinsburg, West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012 via mobile

Took my wife on a weekend getaway in DC. Always wanted to try and find a hotel with a great view of the city. We checked in late and went to our room. Opened the windows and walla there it was. Views of the Washington Monument, Jefferson and Lincoln Memorial and the Capitol. Ordered room service in the morning and the staff was very helpful, even callin the room to make sure our meal was OK. Would stay again!

• Stayed August 2012
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Thank you for the review. I am so glad that you had a positive stay experience. The views offered from our view rooms are fantastic and a truly unique feature that this hotel can offer. The Skydome Lounge also offers stunning views, but due to the many windows so much more can be seen. I recommend all of our guests go up there to enjoy the view while having a drink or a meal. I appreciate you mentioning the positive interactions with the staff.

Thank you again for the review and we look forward to your return. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.