“Nice Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Rates from $99!
Ranked #33 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
“Nice Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

Recently stayed at this hotel and I have to say that I was really impressed with the room. I stayed in a newly renovated King Suite (room 561) in the South Tower. The room was VERY clean, had a comfortable bed, and HD channels. I travel frequently, and stay primarily at Hilton properties, and this was one of the better rooms I've stayed in. The downside of staying in the South Tower is that you DO NOT have a view of Washington, D.C. I was told by the staff that I didn't want to stay in an unrenovated room, so I took their word for it.

The staff was friendly. First of all, I was able to check in the day before I arrived (since it didn't work for me online) and received an upgrade to a King Suite for being a Hilton Honors Gold Member. This was nice because my room was already assigned before I got there which made check in a breeze. The transportation staff was awesome. They drove me to Legal Seafoods, which is not a standard stop, and then came to pick me up when I was done. This was highly appreciated. I also did not have to wait long for them to arrive. They got there within 5 minutes of my call. The Housekeeping staff was great as well. They noticed that I was only sleeping with 2 pillows, so they moved all of the others off of the bed for me, which was a nice touch. A significant con was that I had a note on my reservation to have foam pillows in my room, and they were not, so I had to call down to get them. I did get them with no hassle, but it would have been nice to have them waiting. Overall I really enjoyed my stay, although the price tag was steep.

Room Tip: Stay in the South Tower. The rooms are newly renovated.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, July 2, 2012
Thank you for your review. I am so glad you read you enjoyed your room. We have received such wonderful feedback on our newly renovated rooms and it is nice to know that you too had a nice experience. Yes, the suites are in our South Tower and standard rooms are in our North Tower. I would like to clarify the front desk agent's statement though. When given a choice of a renovated room or not, the majority choose the renovated product. However, we have plenty of guests that prefer the view or stay in a North Tower room and leave very happy. The agent did not mean that you do not want to stay in a North Tower room only that she thought you preferred a renovated suite. I invite all of our guests to stay in either tower as I am confident you will leave happy & wanting to return.

It is nice to read that we could accept your early arrival and that you had such a positive check in experience. I am glad you pointed out that the shuttle did drop you at 23rd street, which offers many different dining options, as this came up in a prior review. This is not a scheduled stop, but will be made upon request.

My apologies the foam pillows were not waiting for you upon check in, but I am glad they were delivered quickly. I will pass on your positive comment to the Director of Housekeeping so he can share it with the housekeepers that cleaned room 561.

Thank you again for the review and we hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

kevin.feldman@hilton.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

My stay at this place was very nice except for the HARASSMENT of Valet guys downstairs and the RUDE LADY when I checked out. Every time I pass by they are always looking. It's so uncomfortable being stared at by all these men that works there. I stayed there for 4 nights and every time I come down the elevators, I always get self-conscious because I know what they are going to do. If you are a woman by yourself and somewhat attractive they stare at you like you're a piece of meat. ITS DISGUSTING!!!! I'm used to these when I walk I get turn heads from men but not when you're staying in a hotel. I feel HARASSED!!! It was warm when I was there so sometimes I wear shorts or dresses. I always bring my little sweater and wear them when I come down so I don't feel too expose for these HORN DOGS! GROSS!!!

My second complain was this lady at the front desk. She was so RUDE!! She did not even look at you nor smile while she was helping me. I finally asked her "are you okay?" She said she is okay. I told her she never smiled. She said Im so busy with other guest. I'm a guest too and smile is free. What kind of customer service is that when the person in front of you never looked at you. A group of people said the same thing next to me. That lady was very rude. I thought it was just me. Next to thing you know she went inside the door of their office and said I was assaulting her? NOw, I am being accused of ASSAULT? Then two security guards went outside. I don't know what that was about but It is a very serious accusation when and especially when two security guards comes out because she said I was ASSAULTING HER. NOBODY TOUCH HER!!!! All i said how come she look like shes angry and never smiled. The manager was there the whole time. That other guest that was complaining about her were being helped by the Manager of the hotel. Then, the manager said, maybe, its language barrier. Why is she working in the front desk if that was her problem?

If you are checking in to this hotel. Avoid being helped by that person. I think she is of a middle eastern background with a very thick accent and curly hair. SHE'S VERY RUDE AND HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO CUSTOMER SERVICE SKILLS!

I was going to seek legal advice from these incident but I was told to just let it go and don't stay there. It's sad because the room were very nice and the location is perfect. Walking distance to restaurants and the Pentagon. My experience at the restaurant was very nice. The waiter that helped me during my stay was wonderful. I wish I could have gotten his name and mention him that he did a great job and made my dining experience pleasant.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Alexandria
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

Lobby & cookie at check-in is really quite deceiving -- rooms not so nice.

Cons: convenient store not so convenient for the price. Parking is literally highway robbery! Mold in bathroom & on shower curtain. Old carpets. Stuffy room - no freshness. No free wi-fi! Even less stars offer free wi-fi. Display room #s missing...kind of tacky. ie. 1112 appears as 1_12 - kind of tricky to figure out if it was my room or not! lol.

Pros: Cookies when you check-in. Bar/lounge in lobby. Restaurant food's awesome & price is good too. Staff is professional and courteous. Walking distance to Pentagon City metro.

Room Tip: I saw both double & king-sized rooms in N. Tower – really small. They have a North & South t...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the review. I appreciate you pointing out both the pros and cons of your visit.

As is common in most hotel gift shops, the space is leased and run from an outside company. The company that owns ours also runs gift shops in many area hotels. In my travel experiences, as I am sure is the same with most other people's experience, the gift shop is not the most price effective way to shop. However, if you have any suggestions please share them with me and I will be glad to pass it onto the owner.

I can understand why if you come from an area that does not charge for parking you would be surprised at the cost. Please keep in mind this is not a hidden charge as it is listed on the website and also on the email confirmation received. Our cost for parking is in line with other area hotels and much cheaper than downtown DC properties. I do not know of any area hotel that does not charge for parking and in fact most area parking lots such as the mall, shopping centers, and commuter lots also charge to park.

My apologies the room condition did not meet your standards. I am unaware of any mold in the hotel and wish you would have reported it. While we really appreciate and learn from the feedback given on this site, we would really like an opportunity to fix whatever is bothering our guests. I strongly recommend to all travelers that if something does not meet your expectation level, please let us know while you are here. We will work hard to correct the challenge and ensure you have a positive stay. I have passed along your comment to the Director of Housekeeping so he can follow up on the condition of your room.

The choice to charge for Internet is not one the hotel makes. Hilton Worldwide has decided that for all full service hotels (Doubletree, Hilton, & Embassy Suites) there will be a charge for the in room Internet. This is the same decision made by all major hotel chains (Marriott, Sheraton, Hyatt, etc) as they too charge for in room Internet at all their full service hotels.. However, we do offer options for those that choose not to pay. Our business center is now 100% free and offers the Internet as do our three terminals in the lobby. The lobby & Lobby Bar offer complimentary wireless Internet. Also all Gold & Diamond HHonor members receive complimentary Internet.

Thank you for letting me know that your room number is missing the outside of your door. I can understand why this would be troublesome and have let the Director of Engineering know so it can be corrected.

Again, I appreciate you mentioning the positives of your stay. I am glad to read you enjoyed the restaurant & Lobby Bar. You are a trooper walking to Metro in this heat! While only 3 blocks (7-10 minute walk) most of our guests prefer the complimentary air conditioned shuttle. It is great to have the option of walking or riding so we can meet all of our guest's needs.

Thank you again for the review. We take guest comments very seriously and use them to improve. As always I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

CALIFORNIA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

This hotel is very close to the Reagan National Airport and they offer complimentary shuttle to and from. They also offer complimentary shuttle to the Pentagon Mall a few blocks down, and the Metro station is in the same location. Bad thing is it runs every 30 minutes because the shuttles are shared with the Embassy Suites close-by; but they're almost always on time and run through 11pm. The shuttle driver Israel, is very nice and helpful with any questions you have.

The roms are pretty good and are very clean as well. The day and night staff is very helpful and even gave us extra complimentary cookies (DELICIOUS) when we asked for them!

The hotel is very nice and very well taken care of. It is also situated across from the Pentagon (the restaurant has an AWESOME view of the Pentagon, DC and the Potomac River!) and a matter of 15 min away from DC.

Their restaurant has very friendly waiters and the food is delicious.

I would definitely stay here again when I visit DC again!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for the review. I am glad you found the complimentary shuttle helpful. The shuttles to the airport run every 15 minutes during peak time and you are correct, the shuttle to the Metro/Mall runs every half hour. However, it is a short 3 block walk (7-10) minutes for those that prefer not to wait for the shuttle. I appreciate you mentioning that Israel exceeded your expectations and will be sure your comments will be shared with him.

Yes, we make extra cookies for those that choose to have another and I agree, they are delicious! I am so glad you went up to the Skydome and really recommend all of our guests go up there. No better view of Washington DC can be found and our guests are truly amazed when they look out at the panoramic views. Keep in mind this is the only revolving rooftop lounge in the area (next closest one is in New York).

We look forward to your return! Thank you again for the review and choosing to stay with us on your recent visit. As always I invite anyone reading my reviews to contact me anytime.

Wilson, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

Last week, my family and I enjoyed a wonderful stay at your lovely hotel, DoubleTree by Hilton Washington DC Crystal City. I wanted to personally write to you to let you know that we had a wonderful, albeit brief stay.

Every year, my step-children fly to Omaha to visit their Father for 4 weeks. This year, we decided that they would catch their flight from Reagan National, and that we would stay overnight to take in some of the sites in our Nation’s Capital. Your facility was in the perfect location to facilitate the proximity of the airport AND the city sites.

Your facility was right on the mark for the most desirable criteria: Clean, Comfortable, and Quiet. Check in was a breeze…the warm cookie for each member of the family was a delight after a long drive.

The hotel elevators were clean, quiet, and quite brisk. I only mention this as it is often overlooked, and a speedy trip to a high floor on an elevator in a crowed hotel is always a plus.

Your concierge was very polite and arranged an evening tour of the district. She was quite knowledgeable, asked just the right number of questions to secure a tour that was perfect for my family. She even took the time to walk me to the designated pick up point out on the street. This was a definite plus.

We had just enough time before our scheduled tour pick up time to visit your unique SkyDome restaurant to grab a quick bite (again, at the suggestion of the Concierge). The staff was very attentive and best of all, our meal was brought out swiftly. The view was breathtaking, and the food was delicious.

Upon returning from our tour, our room (I believe it was Room Number 1222) was, as mentioned before, quite, clean, and very comfortable. The allergy free environment augmented by the HEPA filter machine made for simply the best hotel room in which we have ever stayed. Our daughter has chronic allergies, and she slept like a baby. Perfect.

Breakfast the following morning was a delight. The food was delicious and hearty. The wait staff was, again, very attentive and pleasant.

Check-out was flawless. This was important because we literally had a plane to catch.

I only have one small complaint. When I reserved the room, I asked for, and had confirmed a room with a view of the city. Instead, we were assigned a room with a view of the South Tower. This was a big disappointment to my wife and kids. I thought that with such a price paid, $300+, we would be accommodated with the confirmed “room with a view”. Nothing to get bent out of shape about, but, in the intrest of improvement, I feel the need to raise the issue. With such a rigorous schedule, I must admit I did not take the time to make my complaint known to the front desk. In retrospect, I fully believe that if I had, we would have been moved to the other side of the building. We will try again in July when we return to pick up the kids from Reagan National. No worries. We have already made arrangements to stay at this property again.

Overall, we had a wonderful stay at your beautiful facility. I definitely plan to stay with you at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Washington, DC Crystal City next month when our children return from their visit to the Midwest.

Room Tip: Call ahead to confirm room indeed has a view of the city, if that is what you are paying for. Let t...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, June 26, 2012
Thank you for the review. I agree, the location of the hotel is excellent for people flying in to see DC. The complimentary shuttle to Reagan Airport makes it so convenient and hassle free to get to the hotel. Then the option of a short 3 block walk or complimentary shuttle ride to the Metro makes it just as easy to get to DC.

Yes, after a long drive or flight we understand that the last thing anyone wants is a long check in process. We have gone to a paperless check in and that makes it much quicker. Also the warm Doubletree cookie helps everyone relax and is a great way to start the stay.

Saida, the concierge, has been with us for quite some time. She knows the best way to see DC and can offer many suggestions to make the trip go smooth. We are very lucky to have her as making our guests happy is her number one priority.

I really recommend that every guest visits the Skydome. There is absolutely no better view of Washington DC and even if it is just to take in the view, please make it a point to go up to the Skydome. Of course, we would be happy to serve you a drink or a bite to eat while you sit & enjoy the revolving floor. Where else can you see all the sites the panoramic view offers without having to get up?

Our PURE rooms are a big hit for many guests, but especially those with allergies. The air quality in the room is much appreciated so guests with allergies or those sensitive to the air quality can enjoy a relaxing experience in their room.

My apologies that the view rom was unavailable. It is very rare that we can not accommodate a reservation made for a view room as we know how important they are to the travelers that book them. Being you wrote this letter directly to our General Manager I was able to locate the reservation. I do see your room rate was reduced, but apologize that the agent checking you in did not notify you of the rate change or the lack of view rooms available. The Director of Front Office Operations will follow up with the agent to make sure that does not happen again.

Please advise me when you will be returning so we can be sure that you are reserved a room with a view. We will work hard to exceed your expectations again on your next stay.

Thank you again for the review and for choosing to stay with us. We understand you had many hotel choices and are honored that you chose to stay at the Doubletree by Hilton Washington DC - Crystal City. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

This was our second stay at Double Tree, Crystal City. The first time we stayed we knew it was the kind of hotel we could trust for value and we were delighted to choose it when we had another trip to DC to make. This hotel is very clean and has very well appointed rooms. Their staff is absolutely A+. Everybody smiles and really cares about the guests. All the facilities are kept in emmaculet condition and the breakfast buffet is delicious. Our server, Asi deserves mention, she was wonderful. I know they were in the process of some renovations the last time we visited and the place looks even better than before. The beds are super comfy and the shower is very, very nice, 2 things I particularly care about aside from cleanliness. From staff to cleanliness to value, you can really trust this property and I highly reccomend it to you, without a doubt. It's great for just a visit to DC and has all capacity for much more. I hope we return.

• Stayed June 2012
, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, June 25, 2012
Thank you for the review. We are so honored that we have become your choice hotel for your visits to the DC Metro area. We will continue to work hard to exceed your expectations so you want to return.

Our staff works hard to make each guest interaction a positive one and I am glad this has been your experience with them. Your comments will be shared with the team and are very much appreciated.

Axi is one of our best servers and receives so many positive comments from our guests. Your comments will not only be shared with her, but with the entire team so she can receive the recognition that you would like her to receive & that she deserves.

The feedback on the post renovated product has been all positive. Our guests really like the new wide open lobby and the renovated guest rooms are in high demand. Thank you again for the review and for the recommendation. We hope you return too! As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

I stayed at this property about one week ago for the first and last time and had an awful experience. Very beautiful hotel but the front desk night shift team needs a bit of work. As I was checking in the gentlemen that was assisting me with my reservation was very rude, walked a way several times during my check in, never really wanted to answer any of my question about the hotel and treated me like I had did something wrong. I have stayed at many different hotels in DC. Sad to say but I will never return to this one!

Room Tip: High floor is a plus
Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for the review. I am very sorry that the check in process was so poor that it has caused you to make the decision not to return. Your comments will be shared with the Director of Front Office so she can follow up with her staff to remind them of the importance of proper guest service. I do hope you will contact me directly so I can get more details which will allow us not only to figure out which agent it was, but also allow me the opportunity to change your mind about returning.

I do recommend to all of our guests, that if something or someone has inconvenienced you during your stay to let us know while you are on property. We always have a manager on duty that is ready and willing to help make a negative experience into a positive one. While we will absolutely follow up on the comments received after check out, we would really welcome the opportunity to make a difference in a guests stay while they are still in the hotel.

Thank you again for the review and I once again apologize to you that we let you down. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Kevin B, Feldman