“Great hotel & staff!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #33 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
Valdosta, Georgia
“Great hotel & staff!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

My family and I stayed here on vacation for a few days while visiting DC. We were fortunate enough to stay in a recently updated room and it was fantastic. There's some ongoing renovations but nothing that inconvienced us. The hotel was clean and modern. We also had a perfect view of the Pentagon. Kevin, director of group sales, made sure we were taken care of. Thanks for the cookies!! The entire staff was friendly from the bell hop to the maids. First class, I highly recommend this hotel if your visiting DC.

CJ Rowe
Georgia

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, June 14, 2012
Thank you for the review. I am so glad to read that you had a positive experience. Yes, the major renovations are complete; now it is just touch ups which have no impact on our guests. IT is great to hear & read all of the positive feedback given to us about the renovations to our Lobby and South Tower rooms.

In my responses, I always invite people to contact me, so I am very happy to help when someone takes me up on that offer. Thank you for contacting me prior to your arrival to alert me of your room preference. I am glad you enjoyed the tin of cookies!

I appreciate the kind words about the staff and will pass them onto the team. Thank you again for the review and for the recommendation to other readers. We hope you return soon and we will work just as hard to make sure we exceed your expectations. As always, I invite anyone to contact me anytime.

kevin.feldman@hilton.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

Here on business, hotel is tolerable. Good points; all staff helpful, kind, well trained, and pleasant to deal with. No bad points really.

The hotel is convenient to Pentagon City and Crystal City metro stops, so easy to get to get into DC. Unless you want to eat fast food at Pentagon City, it's a good 30 minutes walking to the restaurants in Crystal City. On the plus side, it's very easy to walk around (not always the case in the US) and the area appears clean and safe. Lots of people out walking dogs in the evening, which is always a good sign!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, June 11, 2012
Thank you for your review. It is nice to read that there are only good points, but we will continue to work hard to earn a better title than "OK Hotel". We work hard to make each guest interaction a positive one so thank you for mentioning the friendliness of the staff. I will be sure to share the comment with them.

I appreciate you mentioning the convenience of the hotel to the Pentagon City Metro Stop. You also mentioned it is a long walk for food option. Actually, right behind the Metro station is the Pentagon City Fashion Centre (a large indoor mall). There is a food court with plenty of fast food options as well as some sit down restaurants. Our shuttle will also drop guests off on 23rd street, which has plenty of dining options of all cuisines. There are literally all different types of restaurants side by side lining both sides of the street. Please note that this drop off/pick up is on request only.

Yes, Crystal City is a safe place to walk around. Of course, with any city there is crime and we encourage our guests to be smart & safe when going out. However, many of our guests stay with us rather than staying in Washington DC for that exact reason.

Thank you again for the review and for choosing to stay with us on your trip to the DC Metro area. We hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my response to contact me anytime.

Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

I got this on Priceline as a 3.5 star hotel. I think it's more of a 3-star, but it was fine. Super nice desk staff. Warm cookies on check in. the room was ok. In need of some fixes (mirrored closet door off track, dings on bedside table). However, everything was clean, which is most important. The location isn't super convenient, but it's within walking distance to the subway, 15 or so minutes to the ttractions. Given the cost of more centrally-located hotels, this icould be a good alternative.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for your review. I am glad you found the staff to be friendly and enjoy the cookies. My apologies that the closet door was off the track. I wish you would have let us know when you were here so it could have been fixed. I will let the Director of Housekeeping know as the housekeeper should have caught this prior to check in.

I guess the convenience of the hotel is subjective based on your needs. The large majority of our guests comment on how convenient the location of the hotel is, especially due to the shuttle to Reagan Airport, the Metro, and Mall. It is also worth noting that the Metro/Mall is only 3 blocks away, so walking is definitely an option (7-10 minute walk). There are dining options in the area as well as in the hotel and that the hotel is the closest VA hotel to Washington DC. I am sorry it was not convenient for your needs, but do appreciate the positive review. We hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my response to contact me anytime.

Vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

This hotel has 2 towers. The first night we stayed in the North Tower where renovations were ongoing. The decor on our floor was dated but the beds were comfortable with crisp linens. Bedrooms were a tight squeeze without a safe or fridge. Next day we switched to a suite in the South Tower which I would rate as a 4 star. This room had been re-decorated with modern decor and included a fridge, microwave, coffee equipment, and safe. The bedroom (had a TV) was separate from the sitting area which included a comfortable sectional, good size work table, and another TV. The bathroom was much bigger than the one we had in the North Tower.
Be sure to use the heated indoor pool after a day of sightseeing or sit on a lounger poolside to read as it is just lovely bright and warm in this area.
Unfortunately, dining choices in the evening are limited at this hotel. On the Friday we were there the lounge on the top floor was serving food and drinks. People were dressed very casually and it was extremely noisy. The menu had burgers as well as some dinner entrees bewteen $20 - $29. The meals we had were delicious. Breakfast buffet, which was served in a cafe in the North Tower, was included in our stay here. One could order a la carte from a menu as well. The buffet was very nice with a selection of hot and cold foods: pancakes, scrambled eggs, quality sausage/bacon, french toast, fresh fruit, hot/cold cereal, yogurt, and a nice selection of bakery breads, muffins, and bagels. We noticed eating here that many service men and women use this hotel.
The hotel offers a free shuttle to either the Reagan airport, 1 mile away, or to the Fashion Center Shopping Mall (4 floors of shops and large food court) where the Metro station, Pentagon City, is located. Walking to the mall from this hotel took us under 10 minutes.
The hotel is located amidst other chain hotels and condo buildings with nice sidewalks for walking to the Mall/Metro Station. Metro is easy to use, clean, and safe. It takes under 10 minutes to get to the Smithsonian buildings downtown. Use the Metro's excellent website to calculate ride costs and time needed to reach your destination station. This will help you to decide what type of Metro ticket to buy. Use the hotel's website to check out their services and dining options. We stayed 4 nights here and became very comfortable coming and going to this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the South Tower as these rooms may have been recently re-decorated.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your response. I am glad you were able to experience both an unrenovated & renovated room. The majority of the South Tower rooms/suites have been renovated and the remaining South Tower rooms/suites and the entire North Tower are slated for renovation at the end of this year. We have received great responses from guests that have experienced a renovated room so I am glad you had this experience as well. However, as you pointed out the unrenovated rooms, while a little older, are still very comfortable.

It is nice to read you took advantage of the pool. Many of our guests enjoy sitting poolside and relaxing or looking out the window as the pool area overlooks the Pentagon and offers a view of Washington DC. I am sorry that you found the dining options for dinner limited. We do offer the Skydome Lounge, the Lobby Bar, and room service. All three choices serve dinner off the menu and there is also Cafe Go, for people on the run. The Lobby Bar is offered as an option to the Skydome for guests that prefer a quieter atmosphere. The Skydome is a nice quiet place to eat & enjoy the fantastic views until 9pm. After 9pm, the music gets louder and it becomes more of a lounge than a restaurant; although dinner is still served. I am happy you found your dinner to be delicious! Thank you for mentioning the breakfast buffet and I am glad you found it to offer many choices and be a good option for dining. You are correct, given the Pentagon is only one block away, we are proud to have many service men/women stay with us and appreciate having the opportunity to thank them for their service.

The shuttle is a nice option for going to the Metro/Mall, but as you mentioned walking is also an option as it is only 3 blocks away (7-10 minute walk. Having a shuttle to Reagan Airport saves a lot of our guests money as there is no need for a rental car or taxi.

Thank you again for the review. I am happy to read your overall experience was a positive one and we hope your return soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my response to contact me anytime.

Tampa Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

Stayed over Memorial Day weekend with family (kids ages 9 & 11) to tour DC. Best part of this property was the price: $90 per day total with all taxes, fees etc. That having been said, you get what you pay for. The room was adequate, but not great. A decent value. The biggest negative was the hotel's lack of proximity to the metro. It was about a 10 minute walk to the station and that didn't work well late at night or in the extreme heat of the day. The hotel offeres a shuttle to the metro station but waiting on its arrival and departure added alot of wasted time to the trip into the city. By the time you wait on the shuttle to the metro station and then wait for the metro to arrive, it can take close to an hour to get into the city.

It should also be noted that this property seems to be a favorite for school groups touring DC and other large groups that travel by bus. It is very close to the Pentagon City Mall which is a popular stop for bus groups that take advantage of the mall's large food court. Needless to say, school groups tend to be loud, disruptive and many of the students stay awake and make various noises late into the night.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, June 3, 2012
Thank you for the review. I am sorry you were not happy with the hotel's proximity to the Metro. It is surprising as one of the biggest reasons our guests choose to stay with us is the convenience of getting to the Metro. The shuttle runs on a set schedule (every half hour) and many guests make sure to plan their arrival/departure time around the schedule to minimize the wait time. I take the Metro very often & depart from the hotel. In all honesty, I have never experienced a trip that took anywhere close to an hour to get to DC. The shuttle ride is 5 minutes; walking is 7-10 minutes (3 blocks). The most you will have to wait for a train is 15 minutes & that is only if you arrive at the station the second one leaves in off peak hours (peak times, max wait time is 5 minutes). Then it is a 7 minute ride from the Pentagon City Metro station into DC. I am very sorry you felt the proximity to the Metro was a negative, but I do invite the readers of this response to view the many other reviews that list it as a positive.

Yes, tour season is most busiest from April- June. With the amount of student tours that come to the DC area, most people will have a very difficult time finding a hotel that does not have student groups. The only ones i am aware of are the 5 star hotels. Luckily. due to have two towers, we are able to isolate the students in one tower to try and minimize the guest impact.
If you are trying to avoid student tours please come visit us from July - January as there are very few tour groups in during these months.

Thank you again for the review and I hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone to contact me anytime.

Happy Travels -

Pickens, South Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

We stayed during the memorial weekend with our three children. The hotel was very nice. The room was nice and comfortable beds. It also has a nice pool with a lifeguard. The front staff could be a lil more friendlier but overall it was nice. The maids were very nice and gave us more pillows when we asked and the maintenance man had to fix something and he was also very nice. THe shuttle was outside when we came out and we didnt have to wait. We didnt order the breakfast because it was overpriced but overall the hotel was extremely nice and
I would stay again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for the review. I am glad to read you had a positive experience and enjoyed your room accommodations. My apologies that the Front Desk staff seemed unfriendly. I hope you will email me directly with some details so we can follow up on this. We take guest comments very seriously and use them to improve. I appreciate you mentioning the positive interactions you had with the Engineering & Housekeeping departments.

Thank you again for the review and we hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone to contact me anytime.

Woodstock, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

My cousin and I stayed the week of May 8-12 for girl's night. We had an exceptional room, excellent customer service and a wonderful view. Upon arrival there was a bit of misunderstanding about the room and were given oustanding customer service by the staff. Our room was upgraded the next day. I must say the staff and management were sure interested in making our stay comfortable and memorable. Thanks to Daniel, and all the staff that were so nice. What a great place to stay!!

Room Tip: The higher the room number the less view you have for the Washington Monument. The 4th floor does n...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, May 31, 2012
Thank you for the review. I am so happy that you had a positive stay experience. My apologies for the misunderstanding on your room, but it is nice to see the situation was handled to your satisfaction. A week's stay for Girl's night -- - that must have been fun. Thank you for choosing to spend it with us.

I appreciate you mentioning the staff and the positive interaction you had with them. I will be sure to pass along your thanks to Daniel!