DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City
Ranked #31 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
Richmond, Virginia
“Nice Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

This hotel is as close to a stay in downtown Washington D.C. as you can get without staying in Washington D.C. You can virtually walk to the Pentagon. The shuttle service to the Pentagon City metro stop was always prompt and the drivers friendly and helpful. The hotel is undergoing renovations but it wasn't much of a problem for us. We received a renovated suite. Very nice, clean, and modern room. The staff was wonderful. Be advised the Skydome's food is expensive but the view is spectacular. Great stay overall. I would stay at this hotel again when returning to the DC area.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, April 10, 2012
Thank you for your review. I am so glad you had a nice stay experience. You are absolutely correct as the hotel is the closest to DC without being in DC. The Pentagon is a block and half away and the Pentagon City Metro Station is 3 blocks. It is an easy walk to both and our shuttle does take guests to both the Metro and Shopping Mall (one of the largest indoor shopping malls in VA) as well as Reagan Airport (DCA).

Yes, the renovations are winding down and the impact to guests is very minimal. We are excited for them to be completely done later this month! The reviews on the renovated product has been very positive and I hope many of the people reading this will visit us to see it.

Thank you for mentioning the positive interactions with the staff. We do change our Skydome menu often and I will make the Food & Beverage Director aware of your feeling that the price was high. He does try to keep the prices in line with other area hotels. I agree, the view is fantastic and I encourage every guest to go up and experience it.

Thank you again for the review and I hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone to contact me anytime.

Happy travels-

kevin.feldman@hilton.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2012

The Wost guest service, thin walls, very noisy, no parking, everything is an ordeal including check in.
Everything way over priced. 15.00 bowl of fruit and 3 dollar a minute Internet . Terrible experience!

• Stayed April 2012
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, April 9, 2012
Thank you for your review. I am sorry to read you had such a poor experience. Thankfully the large majority of reviewers on this site do not agree with your point of view as I invite the readers of this review to also read the many recent positive reviews we have received.

We do not charge per minute to the internet. The charge is for wireless $12.95 per 24 hours in guest rooms and offered complimentary in our lobby, Lobby Bar (when it reopens) and at the three computers in the lobby. In June, our business center will also be complimentary.

Also, we do have 2 level parking garage so I am unsure why you indicate the hotel has no parking. We also offer valet parking. Our menu prices are in line with that of other area hotels, but if the prices are too high for you there are other area options to choose from. I do hope readers of this review will read the large majority of other reviews which mention the positive guest service experiences.

Again, i am sorry you had a poor experience. However, I am confident that if given another opportunity that you would leave with a much higher impression of the hotel and staff. I invite you or anyone reading this to contact me directly anytime.

Wendell, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

When visiting DC with the family, we always like to stay in the Arlington - Crystal City area since its safe, clean, full of shops, convenience to the Metro stations. We are a family on a budget and were delighted to secure a room at this hotel offering such fine amenities. We arrived early from NC and were greeted with upbeat personalities the minute we pulled up to the lobby. Every person I ran into wearing a Doubletree uniform smiled and offered greetings. How often do you see this?

We were given a room in the North Tower on the 8th floor promptly 3 hours before official check in. The view was stunning of the DC skyline and the jets ascending nearby. Our room was spotless, the beds made without wrinkles, fresh towels, clean windows, clean furniture and floors, We brought our niece with us at the last minute and Doubletree was able to get a rollaway bed to our room within an hour of the request. The flat screen TV was new and the beds were very comfortable. The teens loved going to the pool at night after a long day of touring the museums, Georgetown Cupcake etc., the pool offers a marvelous view of the Pentagon and is stocked with plush clean pool towels for use. There is a fitness room too. The lobby here is large, with many tables for eating, working and offers wifi. Also, there were some computers for guest use, which I took advantage of every morning while sipping Starbucks. The snack store offers Starbucks coffee, fruits, yogurts, drinks etc., a restaurant also offers buffet breakfast.

The hotel is strategically located to DC, just across the river. A seven to ten minute walk will get you to the Metro -Pentagon City station, there are shuttles at the hotel that run every 30 minutes to take you there too, we didnt want to wait so walking to the station and Fashion Centre Mall was no problem whatsoever, afterall, in DC going to the sites, you're gonna walk. Tip: Take the Blue/Yellow line to L'Enfant Plaza, change to Blue/Orange line to Smithsonian. Some folks will take the Blue line all the way around. There is an upscale Harris Teeter grocery store 3 blocks away, its open 24hrs, there are various fast food joints and plenty of restaurants nearby.

Construction, I hardly knew it was happening. The lower level lobby in the North Tower was getting a facelift,, it - in no way hampered our visit nor interfered with our sleep. It appeared to me the renovations are close to complete, Its going to be just lovely when its complete.

We were very satisfied with the customer service, the room, the views. This was a very busy week for DC in general with Spring Break in full swing. I thought the staff and management ran the hotel efficiently. We want to come back in the Fall to visit the American Indian and US Holocaust museum again when the crowds have thinned. We will certainly stay here again, our room was quiet, didn't hear a peep from above and below! :-) Be sure to check out the Skydome at night, the Memorials, Monument, and Capitol look great lit up.

A field trip for about 100 8th graders is being planned next year, I will certainly suggest we try to get rooms here. The teens will love riding the Metro, shopping and swimming at night. It's a great hotel. Loved it. I would like to come up for July 4th and stay here, best view in town would be the Skydome or a Cityview room.

Room Tip: Pay a little extra for a City View room!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. I really appreciate you pointing out the smiling faces upon your arrival. This is something we focus on and it is nice to read it is occuring. I agree with you, staying in Crystal City is a better choice than staying in the city for families. It is so easy to get to the monuments/museums, actually sometimes even easier than from hotels in DC, and the cost savings make it worth it.

Wow, what a great review of your room. The view offered from the North Tower rooms (higher floors) is fantastic; especially for people that do not come to the Washington D.C. area often. It looks like you took advantage of all the hotel amenities and enjoyed each one.

Good tip on the Metro, the train switch can be faster than staying on the blue line straight through. The location of the hotel is definitely an advantage as walking to the Metro/Mall is an option or taking the shuttle is another. You are correct, renovations are almost done! The impact on guests is now mimimal and everyone is excited to see the finished project.

We look forward to your return. It is sure a busy time now and we are working hard to satisfy all guests, but we will work just as hard in the off season. I am confident you will leave just as pleased.

Please contact me directly or our Sales Office to plan the 8th grade trip. We are very familiar with tour groups and handle many of them each year. Thank you for the recommendation!

The view of the fireworks on July 4th is awesome. The Skydome puts on a party and our view rooms book up very quickly, so please do not wait long.

Thank you again for the review and we look forward to your return. As always, I invite anyone to contact me anytime.

Dallas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

My room was clean, I had a newly renovated room. I wish I had a better view, I was facing the other tower. The bed was very comfortable. And the Doubletree service cant be beat down to the superb cookie. There was always a bag man on duty and the shuttle service was always very timely. I stay here for business purposes and I found everything adequate. I have to return to the area and I hope I get a room with a better view. Above all I hope the construction is complete.

Room Tip: Make sure to specifically ask for a Washington DC scenic view room. I did and the front desk guest a...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. I hope you enjoyed your renovated room; the feedback has been very positive. Yes, our most recent renovated rooms/suites are in the South Tower. The rooms with a view are in the North Tower and these rooms will be renovated in early 2013. it is great to read that you had positive interactions with the staff and found the service to be up to your expectations. The cookies are good & fat free! Just kidding, but they sure are good.

The last bit of our lobby construction should be done by the end of April... at least that's the schedule. The majority of it is completed and once our Lobby Bar is reopened it will all be just about done. We look forward to your return. Please contact me directly about the upgraded view room.

Thank you again for the review and as always I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Allentown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

We arrived Saturday early afternoon. We were able to get our room within 30 minutes. The room was great. Very clean and comfortable. The bathroom was clean and we had no problem getting extra towels. There was a working safe in the room along with fridge and coffe maker. We didnt have a veiw but we went to the Skydome and enjoyed the revolving room while sipping drinks. I will definitley stay here again. Best part was shuttle to the Metro. Drop off and pickup. Runs every 1/2 hour.

Room Tip: Have to pay for parking.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for the review. I am glad the check in process went smooth and your room exceeded your expectations. Yes, i encourage all guests to enjoy the Skydome; even if not for drinks or food. Please make it a point to go up to take in the awesome view. I agree, the shuttles are an excellent convenience. While the walk is not bad (3 blocks - 10 minutes) to the Metro and mall, the shuttle is preferred by many guests. We hope you return soon.

Thank you again for the review and as always, I invite anyone to contact me anytime.

Richmond, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

I was at the Crystal City Doubletree to attend a conference and was delighted to find it to be the comfortable hotel one would expect and also a great base from which to explore DC. It is a short walk to terrific shopping (if that's your thing), an excellent array of restaurants, and the Metro. And if you don't like the idea of a short walk (i.e. no more htan 10 miutes), the hotel shuttle will take you. The Metro is easy to use and an easy way to get to the major stops of interest. The hotel also has a revolving bar/restuarant with excellent views over the city, good food and not unreasonable prices. All staff were friendly and helpful - I had no problems at all and would definately return.

interest

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for the review. I am so glad to read you had an enjoyable stay experience and tok advantage of the hotel's location. You are correct, being the Metro and Mall are so close a guest can choose to walk or take the shuttle. It is nice to see that you had positive interactions with the staff and enjoyed the Skydome. I do hope you return soon.

Thank you again for the review. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Happy travels - -

1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

I have to stay here for work and it's terrible. Room is dirty, black mold in shower, so incredibly noisy I cannot sleep. Everytime someone turns on the water or flushes a toilet it sounds like a fright train is barreling through my room. The beds are all worn out and soggy in the middle. I have stayed in many different rooms here and the bed issue is universal. I wouldnt in a million years spend a single red cent on this hotel if I had the choice. This place makes holiday inn and la Quinta look like 5 star resorts.

• Stayed April 2012
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, April 4, 2012
Thank you for your review. I am very sorry you are so upset. However, I ask anyone reading this review to realize this is far from the norm. I ask that you also look at the other reviews and realize there is not one other comment about the loudness of the pipes or the uncomfortableness of the beds. I would have to believe that if it were as bad as indicated there would be many comments about it.

I can 100% honestly say I have never received a comment (until now) about the bed being soggy. In fact, the beds are so popular that Doubletree by Hilton now sells them on line due to the many inquiries on how to get them. Most Doubletree by Hilton properties have the same bed types.

I invite you to contact me directly so we can discuss this further. Once again, I am very sorry that you are so upset and hope that people will read the many other reviews to see that your experiences are not typical of other guests. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.