“Go somewhere else” 2 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Ranked #32 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
“Go somewhere else”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2011

Few words: don't go there.
1. I reserved a "city view room" but was given a room looking over the sad building. I complained at the front desk and the response was "the city view depends on availability". That should have been enough to leave and go somewhere else.
2. Restaurant: smelly, poor service, the chef frequently changes ingredients vs what is listed in the menu.
3. Skydome: nice view, but mediocre food.
4. Locaton: not convenient.
5. Front desk: not friendly

• Stayed November 2011
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, November 14, 2011
Thank you for your review. My apologies you had a poor experience. I do hope you will contact me directly so I can get further information. Reserving a city view room is just that and will not depend on availability. If you reserve a roomtype, then you should get that room type. However, during the reservation process there is an option to request an upgrade to a certain room type for a fee (lesser than if you reserve that room type) if the availability is there at check in. These upgrades do depend on availability. Without knowing the specifics of your reservation, I can not comment on why you did not receive a view room. Please contact me so I can look into this further.

This is the first I have heard about the restaurant being smelly. I am in there all the time speaking with guests, eating, or assisting and have never noticed or been told of a bad odor. Once again, I do hope you contact me so I can get more information. I did pass your comment about the consistency of ingredients to the Director of Food & Beverage. This should be the same for the dish each time it is ordered and should match the menu. I am sorry this did not occur for your order.

In the review you label the location as not convenient, but isn't that subjective to where you need to be? The hotel is 3 walkable blocks from the Metro and 1 mile from Reagan Airport. Complimentary shuttle service is offered to both. The Pentagon is a block away as are so many government buildings. A major shopping mall is 3 blocks away and the shuttle to the Metro can be used for this too. This hotel is the closest VA hotel to Washington DC as the bridge is literally outside our door so access to DC attractions is easy via driving or Metro. I am sorry you found the location inconvenient to where you are going, but I respectfully disagree with the blanket categorization.

Once again I am sorry your stay was not a positive one and do hope to hear from you not only to get more information, but to try and make this right with you. Thank you for the review. As always, I invite anyone reading this to contact me anytime.

kevin.feldman@hilton.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
College Park, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2011

Possibly the worst Hilton family hotel I have stayed in. In fairness, some of this results from a series of renovations and repairs, both inside and out.

While the hotel is four blocks from the Pentagon City Metro station (please note that while the hotel is in Crystal City, the Pentagon City Metro station is much closer to the hotel than the Crystal City Metro station is), the walk from there to check-in seems even longer--down the long drive, and then up to the second floor to the front desk. The front desk agent was a bit brisk and not as welcoming as I might have anticipated--though she looked up my address to get my HHonors number and provide my Gold amenities. While I booked through Priceline, she never mentioned that, and swiftly gave me the room keys, breakfast vouchers, and the internet code.

The room I was given was dated, and not as clean as it should have been--there were pubic hairs in the bathtub and the toilet hadn't been thoroughly Vanished. I called down to the front desk, and the very helpful and apologetic agent offered to switch my room. A bellman was sent up with a key to the new room, which turned out to be a new room, indeed. Why, as a Gold HHonors member, I wasn't given a renovated room from the start, I don't know.

The renovated room was much, much nicer than the old, dated room I was given to start, but this room, too, was dirty--there was blue construction tape in the bathroom, a layer of carpenter's dust along the bathroom baseboard, and the outside of the tub wasn't cleaned.

Internet access is a Gold HHonors amenity, but the internet never worked throughout my stay--even with a call to the support desk.

Oddly, for a hotel in the nation's capital, MSNBC is not offered on the cable TV--even as Fox News and CNN are. Epic miss, Doubletree.

Continental Breakfast, offered as a Gold HHonors benefit, was basic. By the way, the customary Hilton bifurcation of what HHonors members get, and what the buffet offers to "paying" diners, gets annoying and a bit petty. I don't think the muffins were included, but the server let me have them anyway. Note to Hilton--just include whole breakfast as the benefit. You come off as petty to fence off the hot stuff to your loyal customers.

The hotel boasts views of the Potomac and the Washington skyline, but many guests will never see these. Some rooms overlook these--most don't--and the pool was closed when I tried to see the view. The meeting room was locked up as well. Oh well.

On the balance, the staff was very nice, but this hotel's shortcomings are too numerous for them to keep up with--this in a hotel where the "best available rate" the night I stayed there was $219. The bed was comfortable, but frankly I've seen better hotel experiences where the rack rate was $80.

The fitness center looks to be recently renovated, and was nicely equipped for a hotel facility.

This hotel might be nice when it is all done--until it is, however, you'd be best to avoid this Doubletree. Note to Hilton: A hotel with such extensive renovation warrants a substantial note on your website alerting guests to the mess they will experience once they arrive.

To be fair to the hotel, I contacted the management as I was checking out--to share my experience and to let them know I'd be posting a scathing review of my experience. While the front desk manager called me back, her response was underwhelming and her GM never called me back. The number of problems this hotel enjoys likely has the harried staff much more versed in apologies and HHonors point remedies than really correcting the issues of dirtiness, shortcomings, and omissions--proactively.

From other reviews here, it appears that top management is in the habit of responding to adverse comments on TripAdvisor in print. I would have much rather the hotel been more nimble about dealing with things while I was on property--better still, correcting things before they affect a guest's stay.

If every Hilton experience were this bad, I'd cut up both my Gold card and my HHonors American Express card and return these in protest, postage due, to Hilton headquarters a few miles from the front door of this unfortunate Doubletree outpost.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms at the hotel are renovated. INSIST on one of these--the old rooms are notably wor...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, November 10, 2011
Thank you for your detailed review. My apologies for your unfortunate stay. In your review you mention that management prefers to respond in print on Trip Advisor. Thank you for reading my responses and I sincerely wish I could call every review, but unfortunately I am not given the opportunity as I only can respond via print. There is no personal information passed to me that would allow me to identify the reviewer so I can obtain a phone number. In each response, I do leave my contact info and receive so many calls & emails from guests that read the responses. It is my preference to talk rather then email if given the choice. Also, every Mon - Fri all managers call our guests that arrived the night prior to get feedback and leave contact info should someone want to correspond. One more method of communication is I personally send a welcome email the day after check in to so many guests everyday inviting them to contact me at anytime. We much prefer to handle any challenges while the guest is here so we can properly correct the challenge rather then hear about it after check out when it is too late to impact a guest's stay. I am very sorry the response you received when sharing your feedback was not one of empathy and wanting to improve. That should not have been the case.

The current HHonor amenity is for a continental breakfast. Hilton Worldwide would like all hotels to comply with the amenity program so it is consistent from hotel to hotel. However, I will pass your comment to the HHonor desk as they often tinker with the amenities.

It appears the renovated room you received after switching was not cleared to be used which is most likely why it was not assigned to begin with. This was an error on our part and I am sorry about that. Your comment has been shared with the Director of Front Office so she can go over them with the team to help us improve.

Thank you for your suggestion on the tv channel. We do change these often based on guest comments and I will share yours with the proper management team.

I wish you would have gone up to the Skydome to see the view. This is opened 4:30 - 1am every day. Meeting rooms that are not in use are locked for security purposes. Anyone wishing to have a view room can reserve this room type at the time of reservation or ask for one (if it is available) at the time of check in. There is a difference in price as these rooms are very popular. There are 75 view rooms in the hotel. From Labor Day - Memorial Day our pool is open 5pm - 10pm Mon - Fri and 10am - 10pm Sat/Sun. It is on the 14th floor and overlooks the Pentagon.

Again I am very sorry you had an unsatisfactory stay and invite you to contact me anytime so we can discuss this further. As always, I also invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Iowa City, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2011

We stayed at the DoubleTree in Arlington for one night in November. The hotel is currently undergoing a renovation, which is good because it really needs it. The location is good. It's close to the airport and only a four blocks (three is you use the shortcut) from the metro station. However, there are nicer hotels in the same vicinity which are even closer to the metro and are connected to the underground tunnels which are great in inclement weather. The room was adequte albeit very dated. Breakfast at the restaurant was fine, although it was a little bit difficult to find the restaurant. I didn't have any complaints about my stay but I also have nothing great to say about this place either. You can certainly find much nicer accommodations with better amenites in the vicinity. It was clean and the staff was friendly.

Room Tip: We had a Priceline room and our siblings paid regular prices. Their view was slightly better and on...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. Yes, we are excited about the renovations too. Soon, the hotel will boast the newest & freshest product in the market! I appreciate you mentioning the good location and ease to get to the Metro. My apologies that the location of breakfast was a challenge to find. In case this may be helpful to others reading this, the Cafe is on the lobby level down the hall from the gift shop & across from the Lobby Bar. I hope you will come back after renovations to experience the fresh new look. As with all major cities, there are plenty of hotel choices and I appreciate everyone that makes the Doubletree by Hilton Washington DC - Crystal City the hotel of choice when visiting!

Thank you again for the review and as always I invite anyone to contact me anytime.

Copenhagen, Denmark
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

The location of the hotel is weird. Come here only if you have a car, because you will be pretty far from the metro, the road to the metro is a dark and deserted (and I am usually not picky!), and the hotel's shuttle runs only every so often.
The rooms were nicely large.
The layout of the hotel is very strange, and you walk quite far without seeing anyone and with moving up and down escalators just to get to the lobby.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review. I am not sure why you feel you need a car to stay here. Actually, the large majority of our guests do not have a car. The hotel is 3 blocks from the Metro station. I walk it often and it is 7-10 minutes. There are two ways to get to the Metro station - walking. There is a path made through a field that is the most popular path to the Metro or you can walk on the sidewalk down Army/Navy Drive, which is well lit as you pass by other hotels and will be across from the Pentagon. Of course, we do have a complimentary shuttle to the Metro should a guest choose not to walk.

You should not have to walk very far at all before seeing someone as The entrance to the hotel is on the lower lobby which has our bellstand and plenty of seating. A guest can go up one floor up via the escalator or elevator to our main front desk. The elevator and escaltor is literally 10 steps after you walk in the door so I am not sure why you had to walk so far to see anyone. Many guests really like this feature as there is not the hot or cold breeze often felt in other hotels while waiting in line to check in when the door opens and closes. Also, there is far less congestion as people waiting for the shuttle or valet wait in the lower lobby. I am sorry you found this confusing.

Thank you for mentioning your room was a nice size and I also appreciate the review. I welcome you to contact me with more details so I can become clearer on the challenges you faced. I also invite anyone reading this to contact me anytime.

Winnipeg, MB, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2011

We stayed in Washington DC for 4 days as a part of our 9 day road trip. We drove in from Pittsburgh and was able to find free street parking on ArmyNavyDr just in front/ to the left of the hotel's main entrance. (slightly hard to find hotel as the street curves, and the entrance is tucked away from the street).

We stayed parked on the street until 8am the next morning-- We chose not to park within the hotel/valet parking as we didn't think it was worth the money- instead we found street parking behind the hotel on 12th street-- This is metered parking that allows you to use a credit card- during the day we paid $10 (or whatever the maximum amount was) to park during office hours- parking became free after 6pm. Generally we used the trains to get into DC for the museums etc as parking&driving there was too challenging.

Anyhows, about the hotel itself- check-in was fast& efficient (free warm cookie!) as we had prepaid for the room via Priceline- we paid <$70/nt so overall, it was a worthwhile stay considering the location. It was close to the Pentagon city train station and allowed easy access to the different areas of DC. Locationwise there isn't much happening in this area at night- there is a mall (maybe 2) that closes relatively early a couple blocks away and everything gets pretty quiet in the evening. Whenever we had to pick a place to eat that was interesting we used the car to drive out to them. (Ray's Hellburger, El Pollo Rico, Teaism, Horace & Dickies, HoneyPig Korean BBQ). We never used the shuttle since it was a quick enough walk-- There is a part where you walk through a field that is poorly lit to get to the mall/Pentagon City station, but I didn't walk alone so it was safe enough. The walk to the Crystal City station is a bit further (4-5 blocks?) but is better lit on the main streets.

We stayed in the North Tower and our room was at the beginning of the hall closest to the elevator. The room is larger than an average room- had 2 beds, sitting area with couch, another sitting area with 2 chairs , an inner bathroom w/ tub & toilet PLUS an outer bathroom (2 sink areas in total). Toiletries were CrabTree & Evelyn. The extra sink area was nice- we used it as a self-draining ice bucket. Very large closet w/ floor to ceiling mirrored doors. No complaints about room decor aside from the dated/tired look of the room in general. The toilet didn't flush when we first tried it out, after a call to the front desk- the service man came and fixed everything -- all sorted out in under 30minutes. Beds were comfortable- no sign of bedbugs. No odd smells. Clean- no traces of dirt etc. Decent view of the Washington Monument.

We didn't use the fitness room, but used the pool- it was decent enough- on a higher level (interesting view), lifeguard was on duty. There was no free internet access aside from 3 terminals that were mainly meant as board pass printing stations. Access was SLOW, and crashed/restarted often- and there were no chairs- just standing. Probably to discourage people from using them. Not very user friendly... Access was available in room and there was a business center - all for additional charge- No thanks- not worth the money for the amount of access we needed.

All in all, it was worth the money we paid- an adequate location from which to base our touring of Washington DC. The hotel is being renovated , so perhaps the decor will improve-- but perhaps the prices may not be as attractive as what we were able to get.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, November 7, 2011
Thank you for the review. I appreciate the detail you gave. Wow, that is great that you found street parking as that is very limited and not always available. This is a nice option to parking in the garage. Just make sure to keep up with the meters as the parking authority is very strict in Arlington (as you can imagine, being the Pentagon is a block away). There is a path to the Pentagon City Metro that cuts throughta field as you mention, but also one that goes right down Army Navy Drive and this very well lit.

I am glad you enjoyed your suite. My apologies for the challenge with the toilet, but it is nice to read that it was resolved quickly. The Deluxe Suites do offer a lot more space then the average suite.

The lobby quiosk is complimentary and an alternative to using the paid in room internet. The reason for no chairs is that when chairs were there, we found many to be inconsiderate and stay on the internet for an hour or more as other people waited. However, I am unsure why you had internet challenges as the computers are typically pretty quick. They are managed from an outside company, but the company is very responsive to any challenges.

Thank you again for the review and we hope you return. As always I invite anyone to contact me.

703-415-3846
Des Moines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2011

The staff was very good, except for the service in the Sky Dome. It was agonizingly slow. The food was your typical hotel restaurant food.

I was not happy about the $13 per day to use the internet. Considering how much the rooms are, they could at least have free internet access.

I am sure it will be less shabby after the renovations are completed. The shuttle van does a nice job.

The hotel is in a good location and there are places to walk to.

Room Tip: One side has rooms with a wonderful view of the city. Try to get one of those.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for the review. I am sorry you had poor service in the Skydome. Please contact me directly so I can gather more information. We have a new Food & Beverage Director and he is all about the service so I am sure he also would like more information.

The decision to charge for the internet is not a hotel decision, but one made by Hilton Worldwide. All full service brands (Hilton, Doubletree, & Embassy Suites) charge for the internet. This is similiar to the decision made by all major chains that also charge in their full service hotel brands (Marriott, Sheraton, Hyatt, etc). However, we recognize some people do not want to pay which is why we offer complimentary wireless in the lobby & Lobby Bar and also an internet quiosk in the lobby. While not as convenient, it is an option for complimentary wifi.

Thank you for mentioning the hotel location as I agree, it is a definite positive. I appreciate your review and hope you will return soon. I invite anyone to contact me anytime.

San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

I've stayed in this place and I was impressed. Withing walking distance of the Pentagon and shopping mall. Secure place with nice restaurant and close to good dining. Great Sky Dome was a nice place to go for drinks after work. Convenient shuttle service for Reagan airport only, but not for Dulles.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. I am glad you have had positive experiences at the Doubletree by Hilton Washington DC - Crystal City and I do hope you will return soon. You are correct, our shuttle does go to Reagan Airport. While Dulles is not as close, there are a few options to choose for getting to our hotel. There is a taxi stand, you can prearrange a paid shuttle, or soon there will be a Metro stop.

Thank you again for the review. As always, I invite anyone to contact me anytime.