“Comfortable, updated room, convenient location, great views, good value!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City

DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   300 Army Navy Drive, Arlington, VA 22202-2891   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Low Rates from $89!
Ranked #33 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
“Comfortable, updated room, convenient location, great views, good value!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2011

One night stay at the doubletree. They have a shuttle that takes you to airport, pentagon city area and metro station. It has a fixed time schedule, so no on demand service.

The hotel looks new in lobby and well maintained, my room was renovated, check in was quick, received a city view room. Also got a warm cookie! Hmm.

The room was clean, comfortable, spacious, the desk area and chair comfortable. The bathroom was all functional, clean. The view of DC was impressive, also at nighttime!

I personally do not like the coffee machines that they have, the pod style, I think that the coffee is weak. The downstairs coffee is better, it may be the same coffee, just stronger.

The hotel guests are mostly business people, in and out, so staff is not overfriendly, they are used to interact with busy or transient guests, so don’t be put off with non chatty staff.

The hotel is walking distance from metro station, a 15 minute walk, I did have my roller carry on and was ok walking to hotel. Upon return used shuttle to airport that was quick.

The hotel lobby is on second floor, so ground entrance is a bit odd, adjacent to traffic and then the elevators on lobby are around the back corner of lobby, not a complaint, just an odd layout.

Pleasant stay, would return and recommend it, received exactly what I expect of a doubletree!

Room Tip: If planning to walk to metro, area shops, ask ahead of time for shuttle schedule. You can catch a ri...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, October 17, 2011
Thank you for your review. I am glad you had a positive check in experience and enjoyed your room. The views are great so I am happy to read you were able to stay in a view room. The coffee offered in the rooms is not the same that is at the Cafe or Cafe Express. The Cafe & the Cafe Express use Starbucks brand coffee and the rooms offer Wolfgang Puck coffee.

I appreciate your understanding of the hotel clientele, but that is not a reason for the staff to be not as friendly. Actually, on the weekends it is mostly families or tour groups coming in to do some sight seeing in DC. As with any hotel or place of business, some people are definitely more chatty then others, but all should be friendly to all of our guests.

I am glad you took advantage of the shuttle service as it is such a convenience to get to the Airport or Metro. The 10-15 minute walk to the Metro is an easy one, but sometimes it is better to relax on the shuttle.

So many of our guests comment on liking having the lobby on the 2nd level rather then by the door. This causes less congestion of people and there is no breeze of cold or hot air with the door opening or closing. You say odd, I say unique. Good observation though.

Thank you again for the review and I do hope you return. Next time I hope we can not only meet your expectations, but exceed them. As always, I invite anyone to contact me anytime.

kevin.feldman@hilton.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (251)
Westfield, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2011

My husband and I chose the Doubletree because of it's location near the metro into Washington. The best thing about this place, as mentioned before, is the warm cookie you get at check-in. Check-in itself was quick and smooth. Our room was nice, though not decorated to my taste. Rather dark. We chose a room with a city view, which was lovely at night, not so special during the day.

My issue was with the concierge. My husband and I are vegetarians. I looked up early dinner options in Arlington online (at the computer kiosk in the lobby), and found several possibilities. What I needed help with was locating them in relationship to the hotel. i.e. how far away were they? When I went up and spoke to the concierge, I had barely gotten to explain the situation before she was picking up the phone to make us reservations at a Lebanese restaurant nearby. Lebanese would have worked, but we wanted something casual and quick. We were NOT looking for a restaurant that needed reservations. She was quite insistent, and didn't really want to help us with anything else. When I persisted in asking about other restaurants, she finally gave in and told us how to get to California Pizza Kitchen. Map in hand, we headed out. We must have looked befuddled when we exited the hotel, as one of the valets (I wish I could remember his name!) came up to offer help. He gave us a much shorter route (2 minute walk) to the restaurant (which is right next to the metro, our next destination). I really felt like the concierge was out to get a kickback from the Lebanese restaurant, and was not interested in truly helping us. The valet was sincerely nice and helpful.

Upon getting home and talking to my sister, I learned that her family had stayed at the same hotel during their summer visit to Washington, DC and had learned about the "shortcut" to the metro from a valet. Perhaps the same one? Danny? He's the hero of my story.

BTW, I think charging for WiFi is arrogant. We stayed at Hampton Inns at the other locations on our road trip (on the VA eastern shore and the Outer Banks, NC) and the rooms were just as nice, larger, cheaper, with free breakfast and WiFi. I know things have to cost more near a large city, but...

With all that, I would probably stay here again on a visit to DC, because it is clean and convenient to the metro.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the review. I am glad you had a positive check in experience, enjoyed your room and the cookie. It is interesting to read the many points of views in the reviews or emails I get. Some people really like the view more during the day then at night and others enjoy it more in the evening. Either way, the view is spectacular and I am glad you stayed in a view room.

My apologies for the concierge causing you frustrations. I am unaware of any kick backs she gets from local restauarants and apologize if you got this impression. We will share your comments with her as she really does a nice job, but unfortunately she let you down during this trip. She will use your comments to learn and improve so when you return you do not have the same negative concierge experience.

I am glad to read the valet helped you with the directions and that he offered it rather then having to be asked. Thank you for mentioning the positives as well as the negaitves in your review.

Charging for wifi is not a hotel decision. Hilton Worldwide has decided to charge for in room internet for all full service brands (Embassy Suites, Doubletree, and Hilton). This is the same decision made by all major hotel chains (Marriott, Hyatt, Sheraton, etc) to charge at all full service brands. We do recognize that not all guest want to pay, which is why we offer complimentary wifi in the lobby & Lobby Bar. There also is a complimentary internet quiosk in the lobby and I am so glad to read you used this service to find a local restaurant.

Thank you again for the review. I do hope you return soon and as always, I invite anyone to contact me anytime.

Anchorage, Alaska, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

No free wifi, you can't count on shuttle service to always be ontime, and they only run at their own set times. The only thing I liked about this hotel is the cookie they gave at check in

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, October 14, 2011
Thank you for the review. In your write up you wrote No free wifi, but that is not entirely true. The hotel offers complimentary wifi in the lobby & Lobby Bar. There is also a complimentary internet quisok with pc's, printers, and USB ports. Gold & Diamond HHonor members also receive complimentary wifi. The choice to charge for in room wifi is not a hotel decision, but one made at Hilton Worldwide. Hilton Worldwide charges for in room internet in all full service hotels (Doubletree, Hilton & Embassy Suites). This is the same in all major hotel chains (Marriott, Sheraton, Hyatt, etc) as they all charge for in room internet in their full service hotel brands. We offer the complimentary lobby service for people that do not want to pay for the internet. While not as convenient, it is an option that is offered.

Hotels of this size need to have schedule to properly run the shuttle. If the shuttle were to be on demand it would never be able to meet guest expectations and people would have very long wait times. It is common practice for larger hotels to offer a shuttle schedule. I am sorry that you were kept waiting and would be interested in hearing the details. Our drivers follow the schedule as closely as possible. Of course from time to time there are uncontrollable things that may cause a delay (traffic, weather, etc), but for the most part the guests find the shuttle very reliable. Once again, I am sorry you did not.

I am glad you enjoyed the cookie and hope you return for another. Thank you again for the review and as always, I invite anyone to contact me anytime.

Asheville, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2011

i stayed at the Double Tree by Hilton in Crystal City and was impressed by several factors. The customer service was excellent. The fromt desk person called me when I got to my room to assure all was to my satisfaction. They offer a complimentary shuttle from Reagan International Airport and to surrounding shops & restaurants and the metro. The warm cookies each day are a special touch. The SkyTop restaurant offers spectacular views - food above average but not awesome.

Room Tip: They are in the process of updating their rooms. Ask for one that has been updated already.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, October 13, 2011
Thank you for the review. I am so happy to read you had an enjoyable stay. I am glad you took advantage our shuttle service as well as the Skydome. I agree, the views are spectacular!

I do hope you return soon. Thank you again for the review and as always invite anyone reading this to contact me anytime.

Wilbraham, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

Our stay at the Doubletree was OK. First of all, this hotel has no real front entrance. The entrance is on the ground floor in the darkness under the lobby. The lobby itself is on the second floor. It's kind of odd. It's not a very appealing first appearance.
The front desk and lobby looked very nice and warm cookies were offered by the staff. Our room was on the sixth floor. Immediately upon stepping out of the elevator you were hit with icy cold air and an offensive odor. The cold air and odor filled the hallway and the smell was even in our room. I think the odor came from the ice machine.
Our room was clean and the bedding was nice. The room seemed to heat up during the day but at night if you wanted to run the A/C the noise was very annoying. So we slept with no A/C and we were very warm. I didn't sleep all that well.
The staff was terrific. The waitresses at the SkyDome restaurant, the concierge Saida, the van drivers, it seemed that everyone was very friendly and helpful.
The hotel has a great location to Reagan Airport, malls and restaurants. They offer airport transfers and continous round-trips to the closest mall.
All in all, our stay was OK. The thing that bothered me the most was the smell and the chill on the sixth floor.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for the review. It always interests me how people view things so differently. So many of our guests enjoy not having the front desk by the main entrance and comment on it often. They like how they do not feel the cold/hot air when the door opens and also it creates less of a crowd as people waiting for the shuttle or checking bags are in the lower lobby. I am sorry you did not enjoy this set up. Your description of the Lower Lobby makes it sound like you enter into a dungeon, but I'd like to point out the natural lighting from the sky lights, windows and door. It is spacious with seating and tables. However, I am happy to let you know that both the lower lobby and lobby level will be getting renovated late this year. Don't worry though, our cookies will still be available!

I am sorry you felt a chill and an odd smell. I have forwarded this note to the Director of Property Operations so he can invesitgate. Typically people mention the hallways as being to warm, but I am unfamiliar with the odd smell you had as we do not have any other mentions of this from the 6th floor (or any other floor) over the dates you stayed. I also apologize that your a/c unit was too loud to use. I wish you called us so we could have fixed this for you to enjoy a good nights sleep.

Thank you for mentioning your positive experiences with the staff and the great location of the hotel. I do hope you return as I believe the smell was an anomoly and you would not have this challenge next time.
Thank you again for the review and as always I invite anyone reading this to contact me.

Portland, OR
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2011

This was my second stay at this hotel. Both times we got the room on priceline and have been very happy. The staff is extremely helpful and courteous. The rooms are large and comfortable. The bathrooms are large, well-lit in the shower area, not so much over the sink. Plenty of outlets for recharging things in the room; good number of cable channels; nice view of the monuments. Parking is $23/night which is probably about average for the area. The Metro is about a 10 minute walk away, they also offer a shuttle bus. Walking distance to the Pentagon and 911 Memorial.

Would recommend this hotel and would be happy to stay here again.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a view of the Washington Monument!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, October 6, 2011
Thank you for the review. I am glad you returned and left wanting to come back again! We hope you are able to soon and appreciate all of the positive things you wrote in your review.

Thank you again for the time you took to write the review. As always, I invite anyone to contact me anytime.

Newport, Rhode Island
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2011

My wife and I stayed at this hotel because of its proximity to Arlington National Cemetary since we were attending a funeral there. First probelm, our guaranteed room . non smoking king, junior suite upgrade requesed - 2 nighs and upgrade fees committed , was not available and we were give a doulbe bed room with a take it or leave it attitude. After the funeral services., a group of those that had attended, were having dinner in the "Sky" restaurant/bar. Our evening of rememberance was interrrupted when the room manager decided to turn on the TV and broadcast a political program throught the room's audio system, and refused our suggestion that the room should be apolitical and most people would watch and listen in the privacy of their rooms.
In fairness, the catering service provided good meals for breakfast and lunch for the funeral attendees in our group.

Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for your review and I am sorry for your loss. My apologies that your room type was not available. As many readers will know, the hotel is going under some room renovations. In Sept, we decided to close off the entire South Tower so that the noise of the renovation did not disrupt any guests in the hotel, as there was a portion of the renovation that caused more noise then was anticipated. The South Tower houses all of our Jr. Suites and many of our King Rooms. While your title indicates the hotel is truly poorly managed, this decision should help prove otherwise. The management put a lot of rooms that could be sold out of order as we thought it would be unfair to ask a guest to pay for a room and not be able to enjoy it due to the renovation.

To be fair, what was shown in the Skydome was not a regular political program. It was an unscheduled speech given by the President of the United States. We had some requests to turn up the sound from other guests. While I agree with you that the situation could have been handled better to appease all guests please understand that had the request been denied to turn up the volume, there would have been a post on Trip Advisor on how the hotel refused to show the President. We do our best to accommodate all guest requests, but sometimes this is not possible. This situation has been discussed with manager of the Skydome so in the future it is handled differently.

Thank you for the positive comments on the catering food that your group received. I do hope that readers of this review will read other recent reviews which indicate the staff and management of the hotel had positive influences on the stays of our guests. As always, I invite anyone to contact me anytime.

Thank you again for the review and once again I am sorry for your loss.