“Outstanding!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #33 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
Cranberry Township, Pennsylvania
“Outstanding!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

My family and I came here together for a business/pleasure trip. We chose the DoubleTree based on its location, and we were not disappointed. Our room had an absolutely killer view of the city. The staff was friendly and helpful and we could not have been more pleased. The room itself was pretty reasonable, considering the location. I had never been to a Doubletree, and was very impressed (although I am an HHonors member, so I do like Hilton properties). The room was close to Reagan airport, but noise was never an issue. We did have an issue with water leaking through our bathroom light, but it was handled quickly and efficiently.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
Greensboro, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

My daughter and I recently stayed at this Doubletree during July 14th-18th. I'll be honest, I picked this hotel after reading through Trip Advisor and seeing how attentive Kevin Feldman was to the comments people had posted - both good and bad comments. I like that attention to detail. The main purpose of our mother-daughter trip was for some R&R and to visit some sites in D.C. that we were not able to get to on our last trip. The location of this hotel was ideal. They have a shuttle that picks up/drops off guests at the airport and the local metro stop. Sometimes we didn't even wait for the shuttle at the metro stop because there is a very safe shortcut for walking between the two locations. We stayed in a King Jr. Suite with a balcony, and I guarantee that some bigger city dwellers would be envious of all the space! The balcony had to be about 20' long and 5' wide and we could see the Capital, the Potomac River and the planes landing at the airport. While it was a busy area, we had no issues with noise in our room. Also, I knew when I made the reservation that some sections of the hotel are in the midst of renovations, but we were never bothered by the construction because we were up and gone by the time they got started and I don't believe they worked on the weekend. The service from all of the staff was extremely attentive and gracious - from the valet stand, bellhop, front desk and room service! Our original plan was to land at the airport, shuttle to the hotel, check in and dump off our luggage so that we could race right out to get to the Bureau of Engraving & Printing for our reserved time, however, the front desk let us know that the room was not quite ready so they held our luggage at the bellhop station. When we returned in the evening to check in, they were very hospitable about the delay even though we were not affected by it in the least. My daughter and I received some very thoughtful amenities from the folks here at this Doubletree, and I cannot emphasize enough how much the staff at this hotel really takes pride in making sure their guests feel welcome to stay and invited to return. I know this will be my hotel of choice when we visit the area again in the years to come!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, August 1, 2011
Thank you for the review. It is so nice of you to comment that you enjoy my responses. I hear from people that read them often and I am very appreciative when I do. I am so happy that you had such a positive experience and were able to enjoy the R&R with your daughter. I agree that It is nice to have the option of walking to the Metro or taking the shuttle. Yes, the views off the balconies on the Deluxe Suites are awesome! I love watching the planes take off & land at Reagan Airport and the view of DC is stunning; especially for first time visitors to the DC Metro area.

You are correct, the renovation work being done is mostly not even noticed by guests. The work hours are usually 10am - 6pm when most guests are out of the hotel. Our goal is to have the renovations not effect the guest stay at all; I am glad (and so are our guests) that we are meeting this goal thus far.

I am glad you had positive interactions with the staff. We work hard to make sure each guest knows we appreciate their business. Our ultimate goal is to satisfy every guest - every time. We look forward to your next visit and thank you again for the review.

As always, anyone reading this can contact me anytime.

California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

The rooms are a good size, and the bed is great (king size--very comfortable). The bathroom is not the handiest, but the shower is of decent pressure. They are renovating so perhaps that will help. The only bad part was that it was a non-smoking room, yet it smelled like smoke. The first night I thought I could muddle through, but by the second night i wanted a room change. They could not accommodate it, but they did offer to spray some chemicals to reduce/mask the smell. It did not help. They credited me a small amount of money on my bill, which I felt was appropriate. In my opinion, the staff is really great, and very friendly. The walk to the Metro is about 10-15 minutes and there are some decent restaurants in the area.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. As a non smoker I can definately understand why having a non smoking room that smelled like smoke would be frustrating. I am sorry we could not accommodate your room change request and really wish we could have. However, I am glad to see you were fairly compensated and thank you for your kind words about the staff. I have passed your comment to the Director of Housekeeping as the houskeeper should have picked up on the odor prior to your arrival.

It is a quick 3 block walk to the Metro and as an alternative we do offer complimentary shuttle service. Thank you for the mostly positive review and I do apologize for the smokey smell. I do hope you will return as this is not the typical guest experience.

As always, anyone can contact me anytime!

Anchorage, Alaska
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

I had a bad experience with a careline person named Yolanda. I was frustrated with my TV not working for the second day. The first day a tech came and fixed it, and then I had a different problem the second day. I called the careline and she kept interupting me with advice when I tried to describe the problem, so she didn't even listen to the problem. I told her I didn't want the tech to come up. I was already ready for bed and didn't want anyone in the room. I admit, I got frustrated with her and just said thanks and hung up. She tried to call me back twice and then sent the tech up. I told him I didn't request him. She then called back again after the tech said I didn't want him in. She was trying to make her point that I hung up on her by her not letting me be. She didn't have the listening skills to give me the information I wanted, then she kept pestering me to make her point that I hung up on her. She is not the type to be a customer service person. Also, the room was too hot and there was no way to adjust the a/c.

Room Tip: Ask for a view room.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. I am sorry that your experience with the CAREline was a negative one. Yolanda is typically one that receives praise for follow up and ensuring guest needs are met. It is unfortunate that this was not your experience with her. I have made sure the Director of Front Office is aware of your comments so he can follow up with not only Yolanda, but also the entire front office team to remind them that listening is just as, if not more important than talking. It is important to be able to understand exactly what the guest needs before offering a solution. Thank you for your comments as we take guest comments very seriously. We use them to learn and improve.

The room temperature is controlled by the thermostat on the wall.

Thank you again for your review and I do hope you will return. As always I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

7hsjvk1qjfgso08prilhi2g60-9jbr3jgrwojqnjkee3xll-cye3ppuzgcx6c
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

I attended a conference here with my family used points for 1 room for 2 nights and also booked other room. It was a terrible experience due to the fact the air was not working properly. It was in the 90's in the hallways, in the lobby and in many conference rooms. In some conference rooms the air would freeze you out. My room was 76-80 degrees. I called the lobby and they said they would send someone up, the room stayed the same. Many people were complaining of the lack of air conditioning. My other family members staying there had issues with their air as well. We were told that the air conditioning was over 30 years old.
In addition, we had a dinner in the Jefferson room on Friday night with over 100 people attending and the temperature was in the 90's in that room. They brought in small fans but it did not even put a dent in the heat. The hotel did give us free bar for that night for our group. I feel that I wasted my points staying at this hotel due to the conditions of the air. In fact my brother and his wife and kids were supposed to stay there this week and I have called them and advised not to.
In addition, on Saturday nite I had to call to the lobby to complain about the noise level from the room next door. The people staying there were playing video games from 300a-500a screaminig at the top of their lungs. Once I called the lobby they did come up and quiet the group down.
Unfortunately the pool stayed packed because it was so hot in the hotel, so we were not able to take the kids to the pool.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, July 26, 2011
Thank you for the review. I am sorry the challenge with air conditioner caused you to have an unpleasant stay. Unfortunately the 2 weeks of close to non stop 100+ degree days caught up to us. The unusually extended hot weather had all a/c units on full blast for so long that there were some challenges. Actually, in speaking to my hotel counterparts at other properties, this seemed to be the case at many hotels in the area. I can assure you that the hotel chiller is not 30+ years old. Thak you for mentioning the hotels efforts to make the group happy while the a/c was being worked on. Not only did we offer an open bar, but in the end offered over $7,000 in compensation to the group.

Today, I received a call from a gentleman that indicated he was traveling in with his family, but his brother attended a conference and had a/c issues. He wanted to cancel, but i assured him that I would have engineering inspect the room prior to arrival to ensure the a/c was working. I hope that was your brother. Also the weather finally broke and we are experiencing a little cold spell that has the temperatures in the low 90's.

I am so glad with your call security was able to calm the people in the room next to you down. While we do have 24 hour security constantly patroling the hotel, they can not hear everything so it is important to call down if something is bothering you.

I do hope people reading my response will know this was a challenge that does not occur often and was not isolated to this hotel. I invite the writer of this review to contact me directly and confirm your reservation information so I can send you a complimentary return certificate. I'd love to have you back and feel confident you would leave with a much better impression of the hotel. We will work hard to restore your faith in the Doubletree by Hilton Washington DC - Crystal City. I also invite anyone reading this response to contact me anytime.

Rochester, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

After a long drive from Upstate NY, I gave a call to several hotel to see if they had any available room for early Check-In at 8, and only Double Tree did so that's how we ended up here. Arrived at 8, checked in at 9. I'm not familiar with the cookie that Double Tree gives out, and we were not offered one, probably due to the early check - in time but with all the reviews mentioning it it's making me really curious as to why everyone loves it so much. The room was clean, the A.C was great when it worked, but the bathroom was not the best. The bathtub was stained yellow. Did not get a chance to check out the pool or the Sky Dome due to lack of time but I wished I did. I will probably return to this hotel again in the future to check out these features and try out this cookie. Hopefully that time after the renovation the bathtub problem is fixed.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, July 25, 2011
Thank you for the review. I am sorry we did not have a cookie available for you at 8am; they were most likely baking at that time since check in is not until 3pm. If you contact me directly and offer your confirmation # or last name/date for verification I will be glad to send you a tin of cookies. You will love them! As an fyi, any in house guest can stop by the front desk anytime to get more cookies - even after check in.
The renovation is underway, but you'd never know it. We have blocked off a floor at a time to work on as well as the floor above & below to minimize guest impact w/ noise. To date, we have had only one noise complaint relating to the renovation. It will be great to be able to offer a brand new product! The bathrooms are included and I hope you do return to not only experience the new suites, but also enjoy the spectacular views from the Skydome & pool.

As always I invite anyone to contact me anytime.

Devon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2011

So much good about this hotel; well-appointed, clean, spacious rooms with comfortable chairs in which to sit and look over the Washington skyline, free internet, good shuttle service to get to the Washington subway or Ronald Reagan airport, supervised swimming pool. However the catering lets it down badly; breakfast is adequate as long as you choose carefully but the dinner experience was one to forget. I would suggest you get the shuttle and eat at the shopping centre.

The other downside is the soundproofing; it is in the flightpath of the Ronald Reagan airport and the freeway runs underneath but you cannot hear any noise from these. You can hear people talking in the next room and in the corridor. But we did sleep well as we were at the end of a corridor.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple