“Nice Older Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #30 of 48 hotels in Arlington
Williamsburg, Virginia
“Nice Older Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2011 via mobile

Nice hotel.. Older model but it's nice and refurbished.. Great location to Washington DC.

Breakfast was great on the first day but horrible on the second.. Overall it was a nice stay..

• Stayed May 2011
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, June 3, 2011
Thank you for the review. I am glad you had a positive experience during your stay. Please contact me directly so I can get more details on the 2nd breakfast & try to make it up to you. I agree that the Doubletree by Hilton Washington DC - Crystal City is in a great location! Thank you again for the review.

1,067 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2011 via mobile

I had a wonderful time. The staff was excellent, which made my stay more pleasant. The food was really good. I remember reading alot of reviews about this hotel prior to my trip, and I got really scared because I did not know what to expect. I had alot of mixed feelings, but when I got there I was very pleased with everything. They are in the process of renovating the hotel, which is very good and that still did not stop me from enjoying my stay. I read some people complained noise, but I heard nothing. I had an awesome time and I will be returning with friends next month. A BIG THANK YOU TO ALL.

• Stayed May 2011
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, May 31, 2011
Thank you for the review. I am so glad to read you had such a wonderful experience at the Doubletree by Hilton Washington DC - Crystal City. I am sorry you were scared prior to coming to the hotel and invite anyone that may share your concerns to contact me directly. The front drive area is almost complete and we have no other renovations planned through June. We really did not receive many noise complaints at all from the renovation which is due to containing the noise to the times when the hotel is not so full (9am - 3pm). We look forward to your return! Thank you again for the review and for choosing to stay with us.

Clinton, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2011

Each time I come to the hotel I am greeted by smiles and friendly faces. Some one is always asking if you need some thing or how can they help you. The gym is very clean and the equipment is always in working order. The hotel has a great lobby bar and the food is excellent. The Roof Top restaurant has an incredible view of the city, spectacular.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, May 19, 2011
Thank you for the review. I am so happy you are a happy repeat guest. It is our goal to ensure every guest leaves wanting to return so it is rewarding to read that we have been successful in making this happen for you. Our staff works very hard to try and remember the faces of our repeat guests and love making them feel welcome. The view from the Skydome is fantastic. You can see everything from the monuments, to the White House, to Reagan Airport, and the Pentagon. I have yet to find a better view of our nation's Capitol. We hope you return soon. Thank you again for the review. I invite anyone to please contact me anytime -

Greensboro, NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2011

We chose to stay in Arlington and ride the subway to D.C. to save money and feel safer being away from the busy city. The hotel is in a somewhat convenient location. Ther are very few dining options within walking distance besides local hotels. The hotel was in overall nice condition. The rooms are comfortable. We stayed in the north wing room 812, which was recently renovated. (The bathroom sink needs some touch up paint) The construction is a hassle because there is no clear indication as to where you should go to wait for the shuttle to the Metro versus the shuttle to the airport. (A sign with schedule would be helpful).
Staff is not very friendly or helpful. They are not overtly rude, merely professional with a flat affect. They will answer direct questions but will not provide additional details. I do not think that this is specific to this hotel but perhaps to the area. This may be bias because I'm from the south, but here are two examples that I encountered.

A man approaches the airport shuttle driver and gets him to roll down the window. The man asks if this is the shuttle to the metro. The driver says "No." then rolls up the window. Keep in mind that there are no signs indicating where to wait and per hotel staff it changes almost daily due to the construction taking place in the parking lot.The courteous thing would be to tell him where he needed to go to wait for the metro shuttle. (Shame on him for not properly forming his question in order to obtain the information that he desired.)

One night I realized that the maid did not leave any wash cloths. It happens. No big deal. So I went to the front desk to ask for some. The receptionist didn't listen. She was immediately on the phone to call someone because my room had not been cleaned. I interrupted her to clarify that all I didn't have wash cloths. She asks if I needed them. (I Note that I said that I didn't have any. That did not mean that I needed some. Perhaps it's too broad of an assumption.) She told me to wait. After the call I'm still stand ing there wondering if she wanted me to wait for someone that's coming immediately or go to my room. I would assume that they would bring them to my room but she told me to wait. If I leave will she assume that I changed my mind and didn't really need them after all? Meanwhile I'm waiting to take a bath and no wash clothes are on their way. So,I asked for clarification. She responds with "Do you need them NOW!?" "No, but you told me to wait" All of this for wash clothes? On a positive note they did call the room 30 mins later to see if they arrived. When I said no someone came within 5 mins.
Moral of the story: Beware how you ask a question because all you will receive is the answer.
Don't buy a metro day pass if you plan to spend the majority of your time in D.C. You won't get your monies worth. Purchase a Tourmobile Pass ($30 for 2 days) which takes you to all of the major attractions saving you time, walking, and the hassle of navigating.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the review. I am glad you chose to stay at the hotel and agree that it is very convenient for getting into DC, but it alleviates the stress some feel by staying inside the Disctrict as well as the extra costs that would be incurred. I have alerted the Director of Engineering about your comment on the sink and appreciate that feedback.

My apologies that the staff did not seem friendly. This is something we work on and practice each day, but I am sorry the staff came off as curt. You are correct, the front drive area has been tough to navigate due to the contruction, but the good news is the drive should be done by 5/31. There is a sign posted in the lower lobby (on the bellstand) with the shuttle times so our guests know when the shuttle should be expected. Typically our shuttle drivers are more courteous when answering questions on which shuttle they are driving. This is a question they receive so many times, but we will remind them how to answer it properly. There seems to have been some confusion over your request for washcloths. I am glad the staff followed up on your request, but am sorry for the initial confusion. Again, this request we receive so many times a day, but follow up training will occur to ensure a response like the one you received does not occur again.

I 100% agree, the tourmobile is the best way to see DC. It is how I tour DC when my family comes down and it is without a doubt my #1 recommended way to see DC.

Thank you again for the review and I do hope you will return soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Pleasanton, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2011

I stayed here for a conference but this would not be my choice in Arlingon for future visits. I will say that all the staff was pleasant and I was fortunate to stay in the North Tower (refurbished rooms & bathrooms). Beginning with my arrival, the entrance to the hotel is poorly signed (perhaps this is because of the construction going on) and in a strange location to access the hotel. The front desk was inadequately staffed for the medium sized conference I was attending. The instructions for in & out parking were confusing -- I was supposed to be able to use my room key but it never worked so I was double charged for daily parking (the front desk corrected this) and given a separate parking pass and an explanation that made no sense. The room was clean and nicely decorated and the bathroom was refurbished. The in room literature referred to 24 hour dining but that wasn't the case -- room service shut down at midnight on a Saturday night. I was then told the skydome was open but that was a night club. The in room literature also mentioned room safes but I could not find one. The walls were thin and the room doors tended to slam. I did not hear airport noise but I did hear lots of room and hallway noises. It also makes me crazy that you have to pay for internet services.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, May 6, 2011
Thank you for the review. I am so glad to read that you had positive interactions with the staff. My apologies for the confusion upon entering the parking area. The renovations are scheduled to be completed this month. While we have posted signage and deployed staff to be outside to help, I can understand why it would be confusing. I am sorry the parking key did not work, but am glad the desk resolved the issue. I am unsure why you felt the front desk was understaffed, but invite you to contact me so I can get more details.
I went up and checked the literature in the room and could not find anything that referenced an in room safe. We do not currently have that as an option so I am unsure what you saw that referenced this. When our suites are renovated in July, they will have in room safes.
The Skydome is a nightclub atmoshere after 9pm, but also serves a full dinner menu. The Lobby Bar also serves off the dinner menu and does not have the same atmosphere as the Skydome.
Charging for internet is not a hotel decision, but one made at the corporate office. Hilton Worldwide charges for the use of in-room internet at all Hilton's, Doubletree by Hiltons, & Embassy Suites Hotels. This is the same decision made by all hotel chains to charge for the in-room internet at all full service brands. However, we do offer complimentary internet in the lobby & Lobby Bar for those that do not want to pay.
I do hope you will return and thank you for your review. As always, I invite anyone to contact me anytime.

Rochester, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2011

We just stayed thee, and its not quite 5 stars. Its about 4 1/2. The rooms were clean, but the wall tiles in bathroom were a little rusty. Beds were nice, room decor great. I would stay there again! The one thing is there can be a little noise in some of the hotel rooms, due to the fact that you overlook the main departure way for DCA but not quite 5 stars. 4 1/2

Room Tip: Request the north tower newer bathrooms, cityview
  • Stayed April 2011
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, April 28, 2011
Thak you for the review and your 4.5 star rating. I have not heard of noise complaints regarding the airport and ironically, there was another review posted not too long ago stating no noise came in from the airport. In all honesty, in the 3 years I have been here, I have not had one complaint from the noise being too loud from the airport. I do apologize if the noise disturbed you, but am glad to read you enjoyed your stay. I do hope you come back soon! Please contact me anytime.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2011 via mobile

Our girlscouts troop had to wait over an hour to check in. Our reservations were made months in advance. While waiting, we decided to eat our bag lunches. We asked the management for an area while waiting on our rooms. He said we could not use the dining area, which was located in the lobby , and closed. He said we were only allowed to eat in the lobby. We had a group over thirty ppl. And we had to sit on the floor. Very few seats were available. Ppl were walking by staring at us. Plus we had so many issues with flooding toilets. Our leaders constantly stayed @ that desk with complaints. Nothing was right, we were overcharged and treated badly. I will never go there again!

• Stayed April 2011
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, May 2, 2011
Thank you for your review. I have already responded to a review from your group titled Bad and am sorry your group had a poor experience. I wish in your reviews you would have mentioned that 3 rooms received breakfast for free for four people, as two nights complimentary parking for two rooms,and two room nights refunded bringing the total compensation to over $600. The hotel management tried to ensure your stay was a positive one and I am sorry it was not. As any reader of these reviews can check from past reviews the hotel rarely has any overflowing toilet issues mentioned so I am unsure why your group of children had two rooms with this challenge.
Once again I am sorry for your experience. I do hope the people reading these reviews/responses will be able to determine that your experience was not typical and no guest should expect the same experiences.

Thank you again to your group for both reviews and I invite anyone to contact me anytime -