“Great sangria, good tapas” 4 of 5 stars

703-413-8181
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Jaleo is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #20 of 675 restaurants in Arlington
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Doing business, Local cuisine, Outdoor seating, Entertaining clients
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 23rd Street
Transit: We are a 5 minute walk from the Crystal City Metro Station, located on the Yellow and Blue Lines. To reach us, exit the Metro, go left on 18th Street, right on Crystal Drive, and walk 5 blocks to 23rd Street, finding us on the right. Or come halfway up the escalator, left into the Shops, and proceed to 23rd Street, turning left to Crystal Drive.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Great sangria, good tapas”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

Had no idea what to expect here, but was pleasantly surprised. The red sangria was fantastic! The food options were plentiful and varied. The apple and fennel salad was very light and delicious. The fried pasta with shrimp and calamari was different and intense. Service was a little slow, but the ambiance was nice.

• 4 of 5 stars Food

75% Recommend
Columbus, Ohio
“Wonderful tapas.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Quality of food was very good. Service was excellent. We sat outside on the patio. Gazpacho was yummy.

Visited August 2013
“Great tapas a stone's throw from the airport”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

We popped by the Crystal City branch of Jaleo this afternoon. Decided to go the airport early and then try out Jaleo. Good decision.

The place was pretty quiet, which can go either way (disinterested service or extra attention). I'm glad to report that the afternoon shift doesn't let Jose down. Here's my rundown:

Wines. 5/5. Jaleo is on the pricey side for food. The wine list can get there, but you don't have to break the bank. We split a good bottle of rosé (Tempranillo), attractively priced at $40.

Pan - 5/5. Bread topped with tomato and jamon Serrano. Amazing how such a simple dish can be so good.

Papas bravas - 5/5. Again, a simple dish, brilliantly executed.

Mussels - 4/5. The mussels were perfect (wish I could get ones of such quality), but the dish was a bit bland.

Omelet - 4/5. Good, not great.

Service - 4/5. Everything we would want at the bar. Pacing was slightly off (three dishes arrived at once with a delay on the last. The bartender handled us well.

While there, we learned about the Subdat paella special. We'll be back for it!!!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Alexandria, Virginia
“Authentic Spanish tapas”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

Great selection of tapas and Spanish wine, almost as good as being in Spain. The small plates are perfect for sharing between two or three people and allow you to sample a wide variety of delicious foods.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“First time bar customer”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

My boyfriend lives in Potomac Yard, and we've both been in the DC metro area without trying the famous Jaleo, so I figured we give a try that the random Thursday night. We headed straight for the bar, and ordered two drinks each: two sangrias for me, and two draft beers for him. The sangria was good. At first it was a little sour but after the drink settled for a bit, I could taste more of the brandy and fruit. We split 3 tapas: grilled chicken with a chimichurri, stuffed red peppers with cheese, and the shrimp served in a brava sauce (the waiter insisted we order this and even offered to take it off if we really didn't like it). I thought the chicken was perfect, and look forward to ordering it again. The stuffed peppers were okay-- I was expecting a dish similar to what I had when I traveled to Spain (stuffed with goat cheese and honey), but it seems they used manchego or brie, not sure. Lastly, the shrimp was good too. i really like the brava sauce...next time i will get the patatas bravas. Judging by our tab, I think the waiter comp'd the shrimp anyway, but no loss to the house -- we'll be back. The only reason this got 4 instead of 5 points is the prices -- especially considering I've had these same dishes in Spain for considerably less. But I guess the cost is justified when having a taste of Spain within a 5 minute drive.

Visited August 2013

Been to Jaleo? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Jaleo, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.