“You Get What You Pay For” 2 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #40 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
Asheville, North Carolina
“You Get What You Pay For”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Arrived May 22 for my first trip ever to Washington, D.C. I will have to admit that the hotel was very easy to get to, access in and out of the parking lot was great (at a traffic light with not a lot of oncoming traffic), and close to the advertised Metro stop (Pentagon City). Unfortunately, those are the high points.

We arrived around noon and were allowed to check-in early. Staff at front desk were helpful and friendly. Room was on the second floor (no elevator). It was definitely an older motel, paint peeling on outside walls, and air conditioners had standing water outside under the units.

Going inside, the carpet looked very clean but had a strange odor. The rooms had two queen sized beds and great open space with table, dresser and newer model TV. Bathroom, however, was horrific. The walls and floor were uneven, caulk around the tub and sinks was either missing, peeling off, or moldy. Someone had also sprayed white spray paint on the walls of the shower to hide mold and discoloration. Our second night there we found a dead roach under the bed and small ants in the bathroom. I mentioned this to the front desk and they had someone come in to spray while we were out.

Beds were comfortable with plenty of pillows, but you could hear EVERYTHING at night. TV and guests in next room were loud, and when the A/C kicked on, it sounded like an airplane was taking off (nearly fell out of bed the first time I heard it).

Breakfast was O.K. Hot food was more like room temperature or cold. The eggs were watered down and tasted powdery. It's probably safest to stick with muffins or boxed cereal, and there is not a good variety of fresh fruit.

Shuttle was on-time most of the time, clean, and got you to your destination in 10-15 minutes as promised. It was close to full a few times as it also services the hotel next door. Try to line up at the stop a few minutes in advance so you don't have to wait for the next shuttle.

I don't know if it was because I was originally over-charged, or if it was because I complained a few times, but I did get $25 knocked off of my final bill on check-out.

I probably would not stay here again, but there are trade-offs if you are on a tight budget and need quick and easy access to downtown.

On a final note, the price was much lower if you booked through the Best Western telephone reservation number than through the Best Western website. It was also cheaper than booking through any of the travel websites.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
GeneralManager2013, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Pentagon Hotel - Reagan Airport, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Thank you for your comment and the time it took to write it. Your opinion will help us to improve the quality of our hotel and services going forward. We have addressed your issue and took the steps necessary to improve our facility for the better. We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Saint Louis, Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Our family of 5 stayed at the Best Western Pentagon Hotel on Sunday, June 23rd. Our flight from Reagan National to St. Louis was cancelled due to weather and the airline recommended this hotel since it was nearby, reasonable (we had to pay), and they had a free shuttle. We waited for the free shuttle for 50 minutes. In that time we called the hotel four times - letting the phone ring for 2 minutes each time - NO ONE answered the phone. Finally, I called the Best Western national reservation line, explained the situation and asked them to call the hotel. When they called the hotel, they were put on hold immediately and after 2 minutes hung up so that they could get back on the phone with me! We finally got into a cab, paying $30 to get to the hotel. When I arrived at the hotel the phone was ringing and the front desk was still ignoring it! I explained that I called 4 times letting it ring for 2 minutes without any response and they even failed to respond to the Best Western national line. The front desk response was "I can see how that would be frustrating."

Be forewarned that this hotel is a converted motel with only walk up access to rooms not on the ground floor. We found this out when we had to lug our 5 bags (we were returning from 2 weeks overseas) up to the room.

The rest of our stay was uneventful, and on the bright side the room was recently remodeled, and they brought us a rollaway for our 5 year old. Wifi was free and had okay speeds.

We did not get to use the free breakfast as we left the hotel at 6am, and breakfast didn't start until 6:30.

Finally we did notice there was a Arlington City police car in the lot both when we checked in at 10pm and when we checked out at 6am. At 10pm the officer was in the car with it running (it seems like he may have been in the area to keep an eye on some folks hanging out in the parking lot). At 6am the officer was out walking the area and returned to his car - I was a little concerned when I noticed he was wearing body armor.

If I ever have to stay in the Reagan National area again I would NOT spend the night at the Best Western Pentagon.

Room Tip: Request a ground floor room.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
GMPentagon, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Pentagon Hotel - Reagan Airport, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Dear Guest,
I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you had during your recent stay with Best Western Pentagon. We strive hard to keep guests happly and make all effforts to deliver what we promise.
I am aware of the front desk situation and unfortunately due to flight cancellation the hotel phones were ringing off the hook, with host of guests waiting to check in at that time. It was really overwhelming and have addressed this with my staff.
I appreciate you letting us know your concerns and I will address them to make sure we make things better for our guests.
Thank You for your feedback and hope you will give us another chance to proove ourselves.

Coconut Creek, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Rooms were spacious. We stayed there for 5 days. Shuttle to the Metro was always on time. Breakfast was good. I agree that there needed to be more fruit and meat. The first day, there was a pan full of pancakes then they changed it to a pancake making machine which took a long time to cook two pancakes and created a LONG line. Staff was very friendly and helpful.

Dear Guest,
I really appreciate your feedback and thank you for taking time to let us know about your stay.
We recently installed the new pancake machine and it takes time to cook fresh panckaes and with house full I can imagine the wait..which I am sure was worth it..!!
I once again thank you for staying with us and hope to see you during your next DC trip.
Chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Stayed in this hotel on my recent trip to DC. Its about 7 min by taxi from Pentagon which was our first destination to see in DC. From the airport its about 10 min or so and costs about &20.
The hotel is okay, the rooms are spacious but the in the shower was broken, looked like it was about to fall off completely. Also they advertised they had full breakfast where in reality it was only eggs and porridge. No cheese or ham or fruit. Very very poor breakfast.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
GMPentagon, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Pentagon Hotel - Reagan Airport, responded to this review, June 22, 2013
Dear Guest,
I thank you for taking time to give us your feedback about your experience and stay at Best Western Pentagon.
I sincerely apologize that we short of your expectations as regards the breakfast. We have full breakfast buffet and offer freshly made instant hot pancakes from new pancake machine and two hot items which includes scrambled eggs and a meat item. Our counter top refirigerator carries assorted cream cheese, butter and margarine with shelled hard boiled eggs. Besides we do offer two different fruits to our guests with a host of selection for breads, pastries, juices and liberal helping of fresh yougurt with raisin & nuts topping.
I am sure you give us chance and stay with us again to make sure we provide you with best experience and best breakfast the brand offers.

Nashville, Tennessee, Usa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

Clean grounds, friendly, free shuttle to metro station. We had a great stay. Breakfast was adequate, we stayed for 7 days so the same thing over and over got old, but the food was good. Staff was very friendly and helpful throughout our stay.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

The place to stay if you are in the DC Area, free shuttles to the metro were awesome and on time an amazing feat considering the traffic , they drop you off at the amazing five or six story mall where you can actually walk to most visited spots, wear you're walking shoes and carry some water cause nothing is cheap two hot dogs and 1 bottle of water..hold onto your seat..burr ump bump..,16.50!!! She said politely you're in Washimgton D C with a cute smile

• Stayed May 2013

Been to BEST WESTERN Pentagon Hotel - Reagan Airport? Share your experiences!