“Superb. True Fine Dining” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Liberty Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #30 of 645 Restaurants in Arlington
Cuisines: American, Pub
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Irving Street
Transit: On the corner of Wilson Boulevard and Irving Street in Arlington, The Liberty Tavern is easily accessible from downtown DC, Route 66, Route 395, and is across the street from the Clarendon Metro Station.
Arlington, Virginia
“Superb. True Fine Dining”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

Excellent fare! Huge portions. I ordered the pork chop from the classics menu and was blown away by the balance and intensity of flavors and texture of the meat. My wife and I also had the octopus appetizer which was larger than expected and grilled to perfection. Wine selection was top notch. My only complaint was that our 2-topper didn't offer enough room for all of our courses! Make sure you order something grilled when you go.

Falls Church, Virginia
“The Old Reliable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Had dinner with a friend Sunday, and enjoyed once more the reliably good food and attentive service. Yummy delmonico steak; they happily replaced the steak fries with my requested polenta; the creamed spinach was perfect. My friend's potato champ was the only discordant note: way too rich and greasy to accompany the skirt steak, which itself had a rich sauce. We suggest they add a few malbecs and carmeneres to the wine list. You need to offer more affordable vinos.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Northern Virginia
“Too Salty”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I wanted to like Liberty Tavern last night -- I was being treated to a birthday dinner and the atmosphere, service and presentation all pointed to a memorable meal, but alas the chef grabbed a couple handfuls rather than pinches of salt. Dinner consisted of fried ("crisp") shrimp and clams, roasted beet salad, New England Style Fish "Soup", a half order of ravioli and a half order of pincianelle (more pasta), a kids order of fried (not "crisp" for the kids) shrimp and a kids order of a branzino fliet (Seriously! Aquaculture in Europe must have really brought the price down). With the exception of the beet salad, everything was too salty (in contrast, the salad was flat, lacking flavor despite the presence of arugula and a honey-juniper dressing). My salt-loving 8-year old daughter ate her filet and wanted more -- that by itself might have been worth 1 circle since her palate seldom extends beyond chicken and grilled cheese -- but even she noted that the fish was salty. The broth of the fish "soup" (why the quotes or why not call it a stew or chowder? I don't know) tasted a bit too much like the sea, and the salt monster in the original Star Trek would have loved the lamb ragu that came with the pincianelle (which looked like hand-rolled thick spaghetti, or pici). To end on a positive note, the French press Peruvian decaf coffee was quite good.

• Visited January 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Hilton Head, South Carolina
“Thanksgiving Buffet - Awesome”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

We ate here for brunch on Thanksgiving Day. It was one of the best Thanksgiving Day Buffets I have had. Lots of variety in the food and since it was a small restaurant, they kept replenishing the foods so they maintained their freshness. Enjoyed turkey and dressing, fruits, large cocktail shrimp, eggs, bacon, muffins, salad, a good mix of healthy and non-healthy foods. I chose not to have any desserts but they looked good as well. Only issue was cramped seating. I reserved on open table for 11:00 and when we arrived the hostess said our time was 11:30 and we would have to wait (which was wrong - I checked) but the manager in charge, said they would seat us right away which they did. Will go back.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Fairfax, Virginia
“Enjoy the Cheese Selections”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

We were finally successful in getting a group reservation to Liberty Tavern (what a popular place!). The beer and wine offerings were plentiful and being visited by both the sommelier and beer manager was a plus - really added insight to our dining. I enjoyed the short ribs (cooked 48 hours) and root vegetables (never thought I'd say that). Others in our group worked through a large portion of the seasonal menu. All agreed that the cheese course we started with was the biggest hit. Everything was very good, though the dumplings that came with the trout and the duck fat onion rings fell a bit short of expectations.

• Visited December 2012