“Stylish, comfortable, quiet... but...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Le Meridien Arlington

You added Le Meridien Arlington to your Saves list
Le Meridien Arlington
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1121 N 19th Street, North Arlington, Arlington, VA 22209 (Formerly Palomar Arlington, a Kimpton Hotel)   |
Ranked #21 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
GreenLeadersSilver level
Jacksonville, Florida
“Stylish, comfortable, quiet... but...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

We booked a pre-paid, no-refund 3-night stay via Hotels.com for an inaugural weekend getaway. This wound up being a great value! The hotel is very conveniently located across from the Rosslyn Metro station, assuring easy access to everything we wanted to see/do in the DC Metropolitan area. We were greeted warmly and check-in was very smooth. The hotel is beautiful with sleek modern decor and music that adds a slight "hipster" vibe. Our room had no view, which initially disappointed but found that this actually made our room incredibly quiet and dark enough in the early morning to sleep in. The bathroom was spacious, the shampoo/soap products good quality. The king bed was very comfortable and we slept great.

I'd have given this hotel 5 stars if not for issues with the downstairs doormen. Again, we visited during inaugural weekend and knew that this could be a "gouge the tourists" opportunity but we were very put off by the pressure of a particular staff member to hire a town car. While trying to hail a cab (something a different doorman had done for us!) he kept telling me we would never get a cab, no one would stop, etc. I called a local cab service and then told the doorman that we'd have a cab in 10-15 minutes. He then regaled me with how notoriously unreliable this cab service was and "they are probably going to jack up their rates." Given that he offered me a "deal" on a town car at the rate of $85.00 an hour with a 3-hour minimum, I found that beyond laughable. We wound up paying about $20.00 for our cab ride.

I would and probably will stay here again. But beware of looking like a tourist and do a little research. Part of what makes a truly good hotel is feeling that the staff truly want you to have a great stay... feeling preyed upon does not promote that!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Allan b, Manager at Le Meridien Arlington, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Dear Ms. Robin O,

Thank you so much for your feedback! Very happy to hear that you enjoyed your visit at the Le Meridien Arlington. Please accept my apology regarding the issue experienced during your visit. Do you mind giving me a call to further discuss so we can fix the issue moving forward?

I look forward hearing from you, thank you again for staying with us.

Allan
703-894-5062

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

The hotel is located in a prime location if you have business in the North Arlington area. There are a large number of companies very close by. There are a few food options around at different price points. I took a quick 5-10 minute walk to expand my restaurant choices a bit. Not too bad, as you don't necessarily have to take a cab to find something to eat outside of the immediate area.

It's a fairly quiet area of town. very safe, clean, business mixed with residential as you go up the street. The room itself was very nice. I was upgraded to a suite due to my starwood status which had a jacuzzi/tub and elliptical in the suite. There are full size shampoo/conditioner/shower gel dispensers in the shower so that's an added bonus for those who travel with only carry-ons and have to deal with <3oz items and who would prefer these over the little trial size bottles hotels usually provide. If you have a tub like the one in my suite be careful not to step on the plugger or better yet just pull it out because you can step on it and plug the tub while showering and not notice right away like I almost did.

Not sure what the hoopla is about housekeeping. If you put the tag on the door that signals you want to skip housekeeping. If you do not hang the tag on the door, then housekeeping comes by. I did not put the tag on my door and housekeeping came by each day. If you do hang the tag on the door they will not clean your room, towels, sheets, etc. in exchange for a $5 food credit or 500 starwood points.

The room was clean, in great condition, and the staff extremely helpful as I was a business traveler and my first time in Arlington. There is a happy hour of some sort that provides complimentary wine/beer and seems to wrap up at 6. Not sure when it starts..maybe 5. All in all nice stay.

Room Tip: Sign up/become a Starwood member.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Allan b, Manager at Le Meridien Arlington, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Dear ATLGAPeach,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback! Very happy to hear that we met all your expectations. Please visit us again soon.

Allan
Lebanon, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

With the benefit of Priceline I was able to secure two rooms at the Le Meridian for a fantastic rate. As there was a total of 6 of us including our exchange student I emailed the hotel manager Allen and asked for 2 rooms nearby with two beds in each room and a higher floor~with such a great rate I thought I'd take a chance. I was thrilled when Allen emailed me back stating we would be able to have our requests. When we arrived I decided to self park and had no problems. It is initially confusing trying to exit the garage and then go to the 4th floor for check in and then a seperate elevator for the hotel rooms but there was always a valet or employee nearby to direct anyone where to go. Our rooms were on the 10th floor (again thanks Allen!) and had a nice view of the river. The location for metro access was ideal! We have been to DC countless times and stayed at a number of properties and being so close to the metro is a big plus. Rooms were neat and comfortable and good size. The lobby had free wifi but the teenagers were able to link on the wifi in the lobby and still have it on the 10th floor rooms. All in all I was pleased!!

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I stayed at this hotel frequently when it was part of the Kimpton boutique traveler group. It is now a Starwood property. You cannot beat the location, a block from the Orange/Blue line metro, a short walk across Key Bridge to Georgetown in one direction, Iwo Jima memorial with monument views in the other. For me it is an ideal location whether I have business in Virginia or the District. All the fixtures and finishes remain the same which is good as it is a nice, sleek design.

The service has slipped significantly and is motel standard. Bathroom amenities are soap dispensers on the wall and one tiny bottle of lotion. Bring anything else you would expect to find in a hotel, for instance Qtips. This $200+ night a hotel will change your sheets only every 3 days but they will not tell you this when you arrive, nor is it posted in the room. When I asked the Duty Manager about this he replied it was a Starwood standard - which it is not. One day they did not service my room at all. Again, the Front Desk defaulted the argument to this being a "green hotel."

There is a program where you can put a card on your door skipping maid service for a credit at the bar. Me, I'd rather have clean sheets and towels, especially when I am staying for 8 days.
I will stay again because of the location but will radically reduce my expectations.
Le Meridien, Green is Great but Cheap is Cheap and experienced Starwood hotel travelers who expect a certain standard know the difference.

Room Tip: Try for higher floor with water or monument views.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Epping, New Hampshire, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here while attending a program at Georgetown. The hotel is great.... Beautiful and classy, modern. The rooms are very comfortable. There are a lot of options for food nearby at different price points. However-- if you choose the green option at checkin- you won't get housekeeping and that was not explained. If you need to be at Georgetown, there are more convenient options... Cabs are 6- 12 depending on traffic. Overall, if the location works and you get a decent deal- it's a lovely hotel!!!

• Stayed January 2013
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

Well, I gave this hotel another shot last month,and I'm beginning to feel like I'm talking to a wall.

To begin on a high note, the things I appreciated before are still great: location, people, etc. however, much to my schigrin, the same ellipticals that were broken last visit were STILL BROKEN! This is completely unacceptable. The gym needs major work to qualify for a three star hotel gym.

Also, I find it incredibly cheap that they only offer communal shows products. I could care less if it is "green." I, and I think most guests, find this practice quite gross- and very cheap. (Side note:why do hotels use "green" to cover their cheapness???)

Finally, the restaurant was still quite good- although, I wish they would stay nope a bit later!

• Stayed December 2012
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

This is like many hotels in the Arlington Area. Nice, clean, near Metro, Convenient to DC, Georgetown. Nothing really special however. Check in is not on the first floor. You need to take an elevator to the lobby, not a big deal. The gym is adequate but small. No pool. Because this is a business area, prices on the weekend are reasonable.
The problem I had was that I like to self park so that I don't have to wait for the valet. They advertise self parking but the parking is owned by someone else so if you do self park, there is no in-out privileges. Every time you take out your car, you have to pay, and then get another ticket and pay again if you use it more than once in a day. All the hotels I have stayed at that have self parking allow unlimited in/outs. But they really don't have their own parking so you are stuck with the valet. The building is a mixed use with condos and a hotel. Worth it if you get a good price but nothing special. We got a free breakfast with our stay and the breakfast was good.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Le Meridien Arlington? Share your experiences!