“Visited Bar and Enjoyed Drinks and Snacks” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Le Meridien Arlington

Save Saved
You added Le Meridien Arlington to your Saves list
Le Meridien Arlington
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1121 N 19th Street, North Arlington, Arlington, VA 22209 (Formerly Palomar Arlington, a Kimpton Hotel)   |
Ranked #22 of 48 hotels in Arlington
GreenLeadersSilver level
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Visited Bar and Enjoyed Drinks and Snacks”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

I met a friend for a drink in the Amuse (?) Lounge here one evening. It's up on the 4th floor so I got a bit confused at first. But we had a nice spot by the fireplace and the wait service was excellent and polite. I had a great martini and my friend had a great whisky, everything brought the way we wanted it. I also ordered the American Burger which was very tasty and came with fries and a salad. This place is on the pricey side but obviously we're paying for the trendy classy decor (paintings, sculptures and ornate surfaces everywhere). It is wheelchair accessible but a bit hard to find your way around in although all staff were helpful. Cabs pull into the entrance or can be called by the doorman, and that's always handy when you've had a drink or two or three.

Room Tip: I'd ask for a room on the upper floor looking over the river into Georgetown.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

326 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

It seems no matter what country you visit Le Meridien provides a refreshing experience. Admittedly, the parking garage is confusing, but for $10 a night (weekend) we can live with some confusion. The staff at the front desk was friendly and helpful. Our room was delightfully decorated, although a tad small by American standards. The room was clean, well appointed and the toiletries had the familiar appealing Le Meridien scent. The staff in the lounge and the restaurant (for breakfast buffet) was most accommodating. We were briefly concerned about having a room next to the elevator, but since we were on the top floor we never noticed any noise and slept peacefully. For a morning stroll we took a short walk to see the Iwo Jima Memorial, U. S. Marine Corps War Memorial, a must if you are in the area. Without doubt we will return to Le Meridien, Arlington.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Allan b, Manager at Le Meridien Arlington, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Dear Lyn1950,

Thank you so much for your feedback! Very happy to know that we exceeded all your expectations. Thank you for staying at the Le Meridien Arlington, please visit us again soon.

New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

This was originally a Kempton property. Recently, it changed to a Le Meridien. Interestingy, absolutely nothing changed except for the signs. Room decor, the same. Front desk, the same, hotel staff, probably the same. The restaurant doesn't seem to have changed, though it is now a Jean Georges property. But the sait staff didn't even know what was on the breakfast menu. Ordered an item that was supposed to include mixed berries, muffin and orange juice. Got the mixed berries and they denied that anything came with it. Go figure. But it was two dollars less than the menu item...But, breakfast was included in the rate....

Room Tip: 5th floor is surrounded by a wall. Make sure and ask for a room above 7, and ask for a river view.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Allan b, Manager at Le Meridien Arlington, responded to this review, November 25, 2012
Dear Ohtobeinsandiego,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback! I'm happy that overall you enjoyed your stay at the Le Meridien Arlington. I'm sorry you had issue with the Amuse restaurant, I will definitely share your feedback with our F&B team.
Please contact me next time you book your reservation, we want to make it up to you.

Santa Monica, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

i was a guest in this hotel from saturday to monday, visiting from NYC for a redskins game. the game was great (RG3 threw four touchdowns, and we had 9th row seats), and the hotel experience helped to make it a great weekend.

the hotel is at an unassuming corner in arlington, across the street from a cosi and about kitty corner from a mcdonald's. it's a little more out of the way than some of the other hotels in the area, so my only niggle upfront would be that it's not as easy to catch a cab in off-peak hours, but that's something that can be addressed with a phone call from the hotel to the cab company.

check-in is on the fourth floor, so you have to go into the lobby and take one set of elevators up from street level to the fourth floor for check-in.

check-in was pretty simple, as the hotel was not very busy during the weekend. because i am starwood gold, i got an upgrade to a much nicer room, and this one actually had an elliptical machine in the room so i could have worked out in the room if i so desired--nice touch. there was a separate sofa and individual chair area for watching TV next to the bed, and a spacious bathroom.

i don't know what room i got upgraded to, so perhaps management can reply with what room 915 is considered to be.

everything was very clean and organized, and i have no complaints whatsoever. in a nice touch to be more green, the hotel did away with small individual bottles for shampoo, shower gel, and conditioner, instead mounting three large bottles in the shower, which dispensed the items when you pushed down on the handles. in concept it worked, but to be honest, it took a little more work to get the items out of the bottle. not sure i was a fan of that, but if that allows the hotel to save the environment...i can deal with that.

i didn't partake of the restaurant or room service, but i think the hotel has 24-hour room service. if you just want a sandwich, there is a cosi across the street, and there is mcdonald's nearby that is 24 hours on the weekends. the area is safe, if a little bit deserted on the weekends (most of the surrounding area is office buildings, so that is to be expected).

i had stayed here when it was the kimpton many years ago, and i would say that the transition was seamless. i would stay here again for a solid hotel that caters to both business and leisure travelers.

Room Tip: i stayed in room 915.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear andergtr,

I am glad that you enjoyed your visit at the Le Meridien Arlington! Glad to hear that you enjoued your weekend getaway with us.
Thank you so much for staying with us and for being loyal SPG Gold member. Please visit us again soon.

San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

What a refreshing experience to check into a new Starwood hotel in the DC area (especially after a horrible stay at The Fairfax on Embassy Row last visit - avoid that hotel, nothing goes well!).

From some pre arrival needs to making us feel like family during our visit, the entire staff went above and beyond.

A nice spot if you have business in Northern Virginia, or even DC, as it's just across from Key Bridge and Georgetown.

Our team will be back.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the river and Georgetown.
Dear TFKinPS,

Thank you so much for your feedback! I'm very happy to hear that you and your team enjoyed your visit at the Le Meridien Arlington. Thank you so much for your business and we look forward having you again very soon.

Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

This should be a 4-5* kind of hotel, and mostly it is -- nice beds and sheets, good size room, nice view, quiet. Two complaints.

First, the toiletry restrictions are extreme, presumably in the name of being "green" -- no take-home shampoo, fine, saves wasted plastic. But one bar of soap for the bathroom, not replaced the 2nd day. Not everyone likes to use "shower gel" to clean the body. In particular I don't. This is a Meridien, not a motel 6. Give us soap for the shower.

Second and more important -- they have this program where you put a hanger on the door by 2am to choose the "green" option of not having your room cleaned, and you get a $10 bar credit. The green option is not to have your sheets changed. The labor-killing option (hence the 2am deadline so they can manage their staff needs day by day) is not to have it made up. They are essentially asking you to fire your room-cleaner for the cost of 2/3 of a drink at the bar, and calling it green. They can call it blue or orange, free country, but the only thing green about it is the increased profits for the hotel, and the dollars that don't go to the cleaners. It would be nice to have a green option of keeping the same sheets and towels but not firing the staff for the day.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Allan b, Manager at Le Meridien Arlington, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear eternaloptimist25,

Thank you so much for staying with us and taking the time to share your feedback. I am glad that overall you enjoyed your stay. I certainly do agree with you that we should provide 2 bar soap in the room, we will definitely do that moving forward.
Please feel free to contact me when you get a chance so I can better explain our "Make a Green Choice" Program, sorry we failed to explain it to you while in the hotel.

Thank you again for staying with us and I look forward hearing from you.

703-894-5062
allan.bella@lemeridienarlington.com
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

So this will not be a typical review. Or, I should say that it is not a typical hotel experience.

To start, if I had stayed at the Le Meridien during a normal week, or for business, this would have been fine. The service at the hotel was excellent. The gentlemen at the front desk and the porters were amazing and helpful. I loved the decor and the modern feel.

My room was very small. I booked a standard room with two beds. And, for two people, it was pretty cramped. If you can book a lager room, then I would recommend it if you are traveling with someone else.

Now, for the special circumstances. I booked this hotel one year in advance since I was planning the run the marathon that starts and ends near the Le Meridien. At the time I booked the hotel, it was still the Palomar. The reservation was switched over the SPG and I had no problems with the transfer.

I was preparing to travel to DC for the marathon and was going to stay from Friday through Tuesday. The week before, we started to hear that Hurricane Sandy could come up the coast and cause some big problems. Being from Philadelphia and taking the train to and from DC, I decided to shorten my stay when the forecast changed for the worse. In hindsight, good thing we did. We wanted to leave on Sunday afternoon instead of Tuesday. If we would have stayed, we would have been stuck in DC with no Amtrack service available.

I checked my cancellation policy and it stated that I had until 6pm before the day of check in to cancel. Knowing that I wasn't canceling, I researched deeper and found the change policy which stated you could change the check out date, but if you changed the check out date after check in, then the hotel could impose a fee. It was still 24 hours before the check in time, so I felt that I was fine. I called the hotel, asked for the check out date to be changed, the gentlemen made the change, told me I was all set and that he would email me the new itinerary, and I hung up. I went to my email and discovered that by changing the check out date, the reservation rate was reset to the current room rate for all nights. This was never mentioned on the call and I would have never agreed to it considering the reduced stay at the higher rate cost more than the original, longer stay.

I called customer service and was told there was nothing that could be done. I asked them to call the hotel, which they did, and the hotel itself in Arlington refused to honor my original rate. I asked to speak to a supervisor and she told me, in a not-so-nice manner, that they have done everything that I asked and they cannot help me. I hung up. About 15 minutes later, I received a new itinerary in my email with the original room rate. No call, just an email with the itinerary.

I had started to book with a nearby hotel so that I could use the cancellation policy, but decided to stay at the Le Meridien when I saw that the original rate was honored.

I checked in and and stayed through Sunday. Again, the hotel was fine and service at the hotel was great.

I checked out on Saturday afternoon. Having just run the marathon, I showered and checked out after the established check out time. I expected to pay for another night. I had actually changed my reservation to leave on Saturday, but to pay through Monday to ensure I could keep the room. The gentlemen who changed my reservation told me that this was my only option since they would not grant a late check out. However, the lady in front of me checking out was in the same position and was told that they were granting late checkouts for the marathoners. I checked out and was given a receipt for Friday and Saturday night. I was not charged for Sunday. I left feeling somewhat better after all of the hassle with the reservation. I got home and they applied a full night room charge on my american express above my invoice total.

I was extremely disappointed with the experience considering the hotel was nowhere near capacity. If they were granting late checkouts, then I feel that they should have been equally distributed to all people in this situation.

I have had such great experiences with SPG in the past. This was very disappointing.

Room Tip: Standard rooms are cramped if more than one person in the room
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Denese_54321

Thank you so much for your continued business. I am sad to see that you had trouble cancelling your reservations. Please contact me at your convenience and I would like to make things right for you. Thank you so much for your feedback and I look forward hearing from you.

202-894-5062
allan.bella@lemeridienarlington.com

Been to Le Meridien Arlington? Share your experiences!