“Very nice!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Le Meridien Arlington

You added Le Meridien Arlington to your Saves list
Le Meridien Arlington
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1121 N 19th Street, North Arlington, Arlington, VA 22209 (Formerly Palomar Arlington, a Kimpton Hotel)   |
Ranked #21 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
GreenLeadersSilver level
washington dc
“Very nice!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

I stayed at this hotel recently on a weekend. It seems that the weekends are slower than weekdays, leading me to be upgraded to a suite, which I will review here.

In a word, I found this hotel to be excellent -- probably 4 1/2 stars rather than 5, but still extremely nice. The suite had a nice layout, with a nice view of Georgetown over the Potomac river. (For the Rosslyn area, the view was excellent!) The room was very quiet, and the service was excellent, with a coffee maker equipped with a decent grade of coffee and tea.

The bathroom was very large, and included both a stall shower and a jacuzzi-style tub. There are also (European style?) shower gel, shampoo, and conditioner dispensers in the shower.

The layout of the hotel is a little odd; one enters at the ground level, but the front desk, restaurant, and lounge areas are on the 4th floor. The hotel decor is interesting, sort of avant-garde dark wood, though the suite itself was brightly lit with an attractive white and grey color scheme with a modern, clean, slightly European flavor. Service was friendly and excellent.

The only down things to watch out for is that the handle of the hot water valve in the tub becomes very hot to the touch.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Allan b, Manager at Le Meridien Arlington, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Dear John B,

Thank you so much for the feedback Mr. John B! Happy to know that you enjoyed your stay at the Le Meridien Arlington. Sorry you had trouble with hot/cold water, we will definitely fix the issue.
Thank you so much again and we look forward having you back soon.

Allan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Lobby, Location. We are currently staying at the Le Meredien, leaving this afternoon. I have read and agree with much of what other reviewers say about this hotel. The lobby is lovely with scattered fire places, abutted by a balcony that overlooks the river and Georgetown. The location can feel a little out of the way but is really only a short cab ride from DC's justly famous monuments. Weekend prices can average right around $100 (plus taxes) per night--although our rate was 50% more than that, but included breakfast. All in all, a good buy for the budget-minded traveler.

The Room. Our room is a postage stamp. There is a king sized bed which takes up most of the room, a desk and a desk chair. This means that one of us has to sit on the bed if we are both in the room and in a sitting mood. This would really not be a problem for someone who was only going to sleep in the room or a solitary traveler. Since my husband is currently recuperating from surgery, it would really be nice if we had a little more room, and, I suspect that there are others who also, for their own reasons, want a room for more than just a nightly sleep--maybe watching TV before bed or having a personal chat. If so, you should really know how small the rooms can be. For others, this would be no problem. The bed is comfortable--a good thing since my husband is spending a lot of time there. The room is nicely furnished and was certainly clean when we arrived. (I opted to agree to the "green" program which means that we have had no room cleaning since we arrived--although we could have asked for clean towels.) The large windows on the outer wall help the room from feeling claustrophobic. But you definitely could not have an extra person, even the smallest baby, in this room. So, be aware of what you are booking. This room does not feel like anything I have ever experienced in a Starwood hotel, certainly not in a Le Meredien.

Staff. I have had very little reason to interact with the staff, but they seem to be cheerful and helpful.

Restaurant. The restaurant here is called Amuse, and it generally well-named, although both the food and the service can vary. We are uniquely qualified to speak of the restaurant since, because of the aforementioned surgery, we have eaten every meal here.

Breakfast. The breakfast, included in our room rate, is of a lower than average quality. There is a surcharge for having eggs cooked your way ($2) or for having an omelet ($4). There is no yogurt, smoked salmon, vegetables, etc. When I asked about yogurt (something my husband can eat), I was told and I quote "What you see is what you get." And since that meant they were out of most of the fruit (9 a.m. on Saturday) and the scrambled eggs were cold--pickings were a little slim. The cook--who was actually quite nice--did refurbish the scrambled eggs. And other waiters were a lot more jolly, although I wasn't asking anything of them except for coffee.

Lunch and Dinner. The restaurant is full at lunch time and for good reason. The hotel is located in an area surrounded by office buildings and near the Pentagon, but then there are lots of restaurants in this area and in Georgetown across the river. The reason there are so many people here is that the good is, for the most part, terrific and reasonably priced, and I do mean reasonably priced. I had the best flatbread I have ever had anywhere here--brie, carmelized onions, bacon and apples topped with greens. Unbelievably good. (Unfortunately, the second time I ordered it they forgot the onions but it was still good, just not unbelievably good.) They have great soups at $6-7 a bowl, not a cup. Again, something my husband can eat. The salads I. had were terrific. The salmon we ordered at dinner was absolutely terrific. We ordered a lovely Pacific Rim Chenin Blanc for $30 (although oddly I had to ask for a wine list as opposed to the by the glass list on the regular menu) and I was allowed to take the bottle back to the room since again my husband is not drinking much. The only disappointment was the Nutella cake which is described as a molten chocolate cake. Jean-George (who is a consultant to this restaurant) popularized these desserts and they are fantastic at all his restaurants, but not here. For one thing, the center is not molten. It is rather a warmed-up chocolate cake served with a smallish scoop of ice cream and hazelnuts. Not bad, but not up to the Jean-George standards. On the other hand, a scoop of ice-cream or sorbet is $3--hen was the last time you had any dessert anywhere for $3? And, it was lovely.

Service. We had one of the best waiters ever here. I wish I knew his name. But he was terrific. We also had a rather likable curmudgeon--reminded me of the waiters in Chicago's Berghoff. Everyone else (except the snippy waiter at breakfast) was professional, if sometimes slow.

So, read the reviews. Remember to be sure that you know what you are getting and what you will be happy living with. And yes, I would come back under some circumstances. And I will dream of the first of those flatbreads. Wonderful, and did I mention that it was $11?

Room Tip: Avoid classic. Families probably need a suite.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Stayed here over the weekend for a total of three nights. I found the staff friendly and the room clean and comfortable. The food in the restaurant, as well as what we ordered from room service, was delicious. The staff at the front desk were all friendly, welcoming, and very helpful. The only slight annoyance was having to take an elevator to the lobby, then change elevators to get to the rooms. However, this wasn't enough to deter us from recommending this property or staying here again. The location was convenient and the price was great. Definitely a great choice.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Allan b, Manager at Le Meridien Arlington, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Dear Vineyardmeaghan,

Thank you so much for your feedback and for staying at the Le Meridien Arlington!

Very happy to know that the staff exceeded your expectations, please visit us again in the near future.

Asheville, NC USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Recently had lunch while doing some business in Rosslyn, VA. I had never been to Le Meridien before, but had a delightful lunch there with one of my colleagues. The food was excellent and i was glad to see one of my favorite waiters, Tony (who used to work nearby at Tivoli). It was good to see him and (as always) he had some good menu recommendations. Will be happy to eat there again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
St Louis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

I loved my stay at Le Merdien. The hotel decor is sleek and the bar is great for after work happy hour. Drink and food choice at the hotel restaurant was quite good. The room was spacious and clean. The beds were very comfortable and I had a great view to the river and Georgetown. The gym is stocked with new equipment and a wide variety. Service from the staff was great. They recommended and made hotel reservations as well as booked transportation to the airport. I will be staying there again for my next trip.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Allan b, Manager at Le Meridien Arlington, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Dear farm2fork,

Thank you so much for your feedback! I glad to see that you enjoyed your stay at the Le Meridien and enjoyed the food in Amuse. Thank you so much for your business and please visit us again soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Le Meridien is a great hotel with a friendly staff close to the Rosslyn metro station. Their restaurant Amuse was the highlight of our stay! Daniel and Yodit get a lot of credit for making us welcome and enjoy our stay at the Meridien.

• Stayed October 2012
Allan b, Manager at Le Meridien Arlington, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Dear Nicole G,

Thank you for your feedback!

We are always happy to see when we not only meet our guests expectations but exceed them. Happy to know that you very much enjoyed your stay at the Le Meridien and enjoyed the food and service at Amuse Restaurant.

Please visit us again in the near future.

New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

hi, i stayed here for one night the reason why im writing this review because the hotel was very bz . Weh i came at front desk to check out i have to stand in line. i was late about to mis my flight.there was only one person was working at front desk he was very help full fast guy. he was handling very well professional name was Adeel , but the problem was phone was keep ringing i have to wait in line to check out. i think it will be nice if they have more people at front desk in bz time than we dont have to waist are time.other than that every thing was great im coming back with family for thanks giving to c my parents.

Room Tip: great stay
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Susan b,

Thank you so much for staying with us! Very happy to know that you enjoyed your stay with us, sorry you had to wait in line to check out. I will definitely address this issue. Please visit us again soon.

Allan

Been to Le Meridien Arlington? Share your experiences!