“Great Value- Lots of Freebies!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Clarion Collection Hotel Arlington Court Suites

You added Clarion Collection Hotel Arlington Court Suites to your Saves list
Clarion Collection Hotel Arlington Court Suites
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1200 N Courthouse Rd, Arlington, VA 22201 (Formerly Arlington Residence Court)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #14 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
dallas
“Great Value- Lots of Freebies!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

I stayed for2 nights at the Arlington Court Suites. Right off the bat, when the taxi pulled up, I was quite concerned that this might not be the place. The address was correct, but there was no sign that stated Clarion Hotels, which is what I was looking for. It said Arlington Court Suites. I had not realized that the last 3 words of the 6 word name would be the name on the sign. In fact I did not even remember the last 3 words on the sign! I just thought it was the Clarion at the Courthouse.

I was kinda hoping the taxi driver would stay put a minute just to make sure I was at the right place. But upon entering the doors, there was a sign INSIDE that said Clarion. So, all was well. One more odd thing… there was a scale, a tall, medical scale in the lobby against the wall to the left of the registration desk. I did not ask what the purpose was… I almost took a picture but opted not to… it was there the 3 days/2nights that I was there. just one slight little oddity… maybe it was to discourage people from eating too many of the free cookies on Thursday nights (wink). On second thought, probably not, because the employees were trying to get us to take as many as possible. More on that later.

I really have only no complaints about this hotel. I think it is an excellent value. I was taking a training class at a facility near the Arlington Courthouse. The Courthouse is at the top of a hill, 2 blocks from the hotel. The training facility is halfway up the hill, 1 block from the hotel. The training organizers listed 2 hotels that were within walking distance- the Clarion and the Hilton Garden Inn. I am guessing that the majority of people opt for the Hilton as it is directly across the street from the facility, facing the property- literally 1 minute away, and no hill to climb. The Clarion is at the bottom of this VERY steep hill and across the street… maybe 3-5 minutes, depending on how fast you can make it up that hill! (people who live in the area and take the metro, which is also at the top of the hill, must have GORGEOUS legs!)

For my money, I would choose the Clarion (excuse me, Arlington Court Suites). It is the better value. The room prices for me were about the same, though I think Clarion was maybe $10 cheaper when I checked (AAA rate). The room I got was a double queen with a sitting area, balcony, and full kitchen. In comparison, the room at the Hilton Garden Inn was a standard double or King. The Clarion comes with free hot breakfast daily. The first morning of my stay they served sausage links, home-style potatoes, and eggs. There was a selection of juices, yogurt, cereal, and coffee. The sausage was rather bland, the potatoes and eggs were fairly decent…. Filling, but nothing to write home about. The second morning was better: bacon, eggs, potatoes, hot pancakes, and the same additional cold items. The pancakes were super light and fluffy and fairly tasty. There was a slight taste of pancake mix from a box, but nothing to detract from the overall taste, and nothing that some maple syrup couldn’t hide. I enjoyed them. The eggs tasted better than the day before and the bacon was a vast upgrade from the sausage. So breakfast will either be so-so or very good from my experience. Either way, it’s free.

As though that were not enough, Monday through Wednesday they provide dinner. Now I know that in DC, people can eat at some of the finest dining establishments in the world. But if you are tired and do not want to go out, this hotel provides options. The dinner that I had on Wednesday consisted of “BBQ” Ribs, Baked Beans, Mixed Veggies, Mixed Green Salad, and Chicken Potato Soup… (I took the menu from the refrigerator and will post it here.) The salad was good, I did not try the soup or the beans. The mixed veg was also good. I have issue with them calling this BBQ as it was obviously ribs in a pan, baked/broiled and covered with BBQ sauce. This does not a BBQ make… being from TX, that is an insult to BBQ. However, they were pretty good baked ribs. I would not go out of my way to dine on them, but if they were serving and I was staying, I would help myself to some. And again- it was FREE!

On Thursdays they do not offer dinner, but they do offer free cookies in the lobby. These cookies had to be about an inch thick and maybe a 3 inch diameter! They were huge! Sugar and Oatmeal were the only varieties… I really wanted chocolate chip, but beggars cannot be choosers. The staff was trying to get people to take as many as possible. I also managed to come down when a fresh batch was being delivered- yay! I liked the Oatmeal the best. The next day a lady in the elevator was raving about the sugar ones. They were very good, and again, emphasis on free!

The hotel offers room service and the offerings are not nearly as expensive as they were at the Sofitel where I had been 2 weeks earlier. In addition to room service, there were restaurant menus in the hotel’s welcome book/binder. I ordered from Jerry’s Pizza and Subs and they delivered to my room. I ordered a personal crab meat pizza and salad… very good. I had to order something else to get my total up above $10 as that is the minimum for delivery… how often does it happen that you have to struggle to reach $10, especially in DC?

On my last day in DC, I scheduled a late evening return flight so that I could take in a few sights before I left. I arranged to meet a friend at the Smithsonian Museum of American History. The hotel stored my luggage for me. I took the metro to the museum and back. Upon my return, the hotel ordered a cab for me. Oddly, the cabbie did not give me a receipt. I asked how much and he said, about $20. He did not take credit cards, so I had to go to the 2nd floor ATM to get cash out. (It only cost 15+ tip on the way from the airport, but this was more of a TownCar and less like a standard cab, but I digress.)

So, before or after all the freebies, you can walk up the hill (a 2 block hill, no less) to the AMC theater for a movie or to the metro to sightsee.

The Metro…. This was my first time experiencing this DC wonder. On my first day, I had to go into the office, which is near the White House and right next to a metro station, so I knew I could get there via metro (used the website for directions). I did not know where the station was so I asked the clerk at the front desk how to get to the metro. She said to go left for 2 blocks and it was across the street from the courthouse… kinda vague and I didn’t know where the courthouse was. She also failed to mention the 2 blocks were up that hill, but I knew… Here are directions to the Metro. Once you find it the first time, you can find a little bit of a shortcut by cutting across a courtyard and parking lot. (Exit hotel, turn left, go 2 blocks. Jerry’s Subs and Pizza shop will be directly in front of you, across the street. Do not cross the street. Turn left for about half a block and you will see a random elevator box and shaft that leads to the metro tunnel. Take the elevator down. When you exit at the bottom, turn right and walk until you come to an intersection. Turn left at the intersection toward the escalators leading down to the trains- someone may be singing opera here… also, there will be signs above you pointing you to in the correct direction.

The hotel is convenient to several restaurants and eateries, including a Subway, Courthouse Deli, another restaurant below the Deli that I do not remember the name of, and numerous other restaurants including… Jerry’s- which I thoroughly enjoyed twice!

I did have a complaint now that I think about it. There was no dishwashing liquid. They had Cascade for the dishwasher, but nothing for the sink, so I could not effectively wash out the coffee mugs or the coffee pot. And the little packets of coffee that come with 2 sugar, 2 creamers, and 2 saccharine packets are insufficient for my coffee or tea. Take hot chocolate from the breakfast area upstairs instead! I always brought my breakfast down to my room. Not sure if you are supposed to or not, but I did, as I was usually pressed for time. And there was not a heck of a lot of seating.

So the hotel is in a great area, the room was laid out well, the facilities were nice. The bathroom, heck the whole room was quite large… definitely a suite for the price of a regular room. This seems to have been an older hotel that went through a recent refurbishment. It is not a 4 star hotel. It is more like a 3.5 star hotel. So based on other hotels of that stature, I would rate this near the top. I think it is excellent for what it is, offers exceptional value for the DC area, and a very helpful staff. Did I mention the freebies?

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
G M, General Manager at Clarion Collection Hotel Arlington Court Suites, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Good day to you and thank you so much for posting your experience of our hotel. I wanted to share with you the reason for the scale. We do quite a bit of business with the US State Department and many of the travelers travel home internationally and must have luggage under a certain weight or they are charged additional fees. So we place it there when we know there will be departures from this group of guest.

Again thank you for your comments I will be sure to share with the entire staff!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Honolulu, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

Reasonable rates, comfortably large suite, full refrigerator/kitchen, good breakfast! Enjoyable hotel, great location- about a block away from the Courthouse Metro. Good mix of restaurants in the neighborhood. They were able to accommodate my request for early check-in. A big relief because of my red-eye trip from Hawaii. I will definitely return and recommend this establishment to friends.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Staten Island, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

This hotel is great for overnight stay with good kitchen, full breakfast, nice Capitol view from top floor, nice staff, parking, neighborhood restaurants etc etc...We will go back to same place and will recommend everyone......Nobs

Room Tip: Try rooms in upper floors................
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Prince George, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

We stayed here after purchasing the Groupon for a trip that was already planned. Parking was included. They let us park the car at 6:00 am that morning even though check-in was not until 3:00 pm. We used the free shuttle to get to the Courthouse Metro numerous times and it was an easy walk back on our own each time. They let us check in an hour early. The room was decent... could tell the hotel was aged a bit but they took good efforts to remodel the place. The room was fine. Very nice efficiency kitchen...modern. Crookedly placed ceremic tiles in the bathroom...a broken rim on the mirror... but nothing that interfered with my stay. Could have used a bit more dusting on some out of the way fixtures in the room. Free wi fi. Free breakfast. We kept our car there until 5:00pm the next day while we toured a bit more after 12:00 check out. Easy access to 395 South even during rush hour with no significant back ups...staight to the 95 South HOV lanes. This was $99 well spent!

Room Tip: Great deal if you get a Groupon. Another reviewer got the same $99 price via last minute booking...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

Stayed for 4 nights and found nothing to complain about. The room was first class and the amenities were also excellent. After nearly 24 hours travel form Sydney it was so nice to find a soft comfortable bed in a comfortable room....just what we needed!!!!.The room was very clean and upgraded bathroom and kitchen facilities.The breakfast was very good and extensive. We left our rental car in the hotel underground parking garage and used the metro rail service to comute back and forth to all the attractions in DC. The metro station is only a five minute walk from the hotel and a short 15 minute ride to The Mall.We had a great time and will return one day hopefully.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

We were very impressed with this hotel. Suites were very comfortable and clean. Rooms were large with a full size refrigerator, microwave, dishwasher, and small electric stove. A great price for the area near Washington DC. Very safe neighborhood to walk in. Close to the metro, which we took everywhere. Very impressed with the metro, unlike the subway in NY. People were very friendly. Close to restaurants and bars if needed. The breakfast and dinner buffets at the hotel were good. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

Will stay again if in area, rooms big and very comfortable. Very close to all sights to see in our nation's capitol. Staff very helpful for the out of town person. Felt very safe there. Easy in and out.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Clarion Collection Hotel Arlington Court Suites? Share your experiences!