“Beautiful Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #28 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
Virginia
“Beautiful Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2009

We stayed here for our trip to the DC Zoo and for a day at the Baltimore Aquarium. The Reception staff was really great. The beds were super comfortable and the stay was really relaxing. Parking was a bit on the expensive side and I did end up spending a little more than I wanted to on drinks in our room b/c there wasn't a close convience store without getting the car out of valet and tipping the valet twice. I think I paid 3-5 dollars per bottled water and canned soda. The only thing that really bothered me was I took my 5 year old who is very used to staying in hotels and is really respectful and a pretty quite little girl down to the indoor pool to take a short dip. There was no life guard in site and the pool was locked. We waited because she really wanted to check out the pool, When the lifeguard finally came back with her dinner in hand she seemed iritated we were there. She then told me that I needed to make sure that I watched my daughter and said that she couldn't be loud then she told my daughter that she was not allowed to splash. I was so mad after her rudeness we didn't stay in the pool long. My daughter walked around in the water for a few minutes too scared to even enjoy herself.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Richmond, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2009

Very nice area, the only downside is paying $22 a day for parking. Everything is in walking distance. Oh by the way...there are no vending machines. The hotel seems to be very clean, which is a plus

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2009

Picked this hotel based on other traveller's review. They were right! This hotel is great!

Location: In the city of Arlington (Not within DC) but the hotel is few blocks from the subway so traveling to the city is not that difficult after all. There's a mall nearby the hotel (one block away) so it makes it easy for cheap dining options and there's a movie theater too. Starbucks adjacent to the lobby for those who needs coffee.

Room: Got upgraded to the Executive Suite in 10F. Have the view of adjacent office building. Its very spacious (1 Bedroom, 1 Large living room and a restroom connecting the 2 rooms). Living Room features DVD player, big LCD TV and a big sofa thats good to have a small party. Room features standard Westin Heavenly Bed and shower. However, bathroom is on the small side (same size as the regular room's bathroom I assume).

Executive Lounge: Features Breakfast & Evening Snacks. This is one of the few Westins that still offers Executive Lounge (Lounge is no longer required in US Westins). I had a very nice attendant and I did enjoy the time relaxing in the lounge.

Gym: Very good workout facilities with a nice Pool & Jacuzzi. Must be the fact this is a hotel/residental shared building.

Parking: Valet, didn't try.

Overall: Very good value as an alternative for those who did not want to stay in the DC metro area. Smoke free family friendly hotel that I will recommend to friends.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
southern california
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2009

In the past I have avoided this hotel only because it is the most expensive in Arlington. I recently discovered that I can get a corporate discount for this property. I usually stay at the Hilton next door because it is attached to the National Science Foundation, but the Hilton was booked and it is showing its wear. I booked into the Westin at the corporate rate and was very happy with my stay. The hotel is kept up very well. The room was nice, comfortable, no complaints, and the staff was very helpful. I had lunch in the restaurant and the food and service were excellent. I was only there for a very short time - in and out for one night, but I would try to book here again, especially at the corporate rate. The Westin has umbrellas in case it is raining and you need to take a short walk to NSF/ONR etc.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Western Mass
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2009

This turned out to be a frustrating stay at the Westin Arlington. Both air conditioners in our adjoining rooms (one a handicapped accessible one) never gave out cool air; they were more like warm air fans. After two different service calls, the issue was still not resolved. First, the filters were changed – they were filthy. The second time, the engineer came to work his magic, but nothing changed. We were offered to move when I complained the second time, but that was unrealistic as we were all unpacked, busy with a family wedding, leaving the next day, not to mention dealing with elderly parents and relatives. Our rooms never cooled off at night during the time we were there. Our hallway was a good 5 – 7 degrees cooler – wished I could have slept in the hallway instead. We were able to sleep in the warm room since the fan kept the temperature around 70, but I was most upset that no one followed up after our second call to see if the problem had been resolved. We checked out one week ago and my extensive constructive comments on the express checkout form resulted in no phone calls, emails, or follow-up from the Westin. I did not even get the generic customer satisfaction survey email about your “recent visit.” Also, the previous guests had left the alarms set for 6 AM in both rooms! We received a most unwelcome wake-up call the next day when we needed to rest. At the Westin, we expect that heavenly sleep means that someone checks the alarms in between guests to make sure they are off.
In addition, the pool/hot tub was sometimes closed during normal operating hours due to lack of a lifeguard or some other unknown reason. The staff was very accommodating in securing the one handicapped accessible room ahead of time and accommodating an early check-in. The Westin Workout was certainly above average, and the valet parking staff could not have been better. The restaurant/bar closed kind of early (11 PM) and for the money you pay at the Westin (a good group rate with taxes, fees, daily parking, high internet fees, etc.), this may be my third and last visit.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Buffalo, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2009

I arrived earlier than normal check-in and they allowed me to check in. Everyone was wonderful. The room was perfect and the location was great. There is a Starbucks in the lobby, a Panera across the street and a CVS nearby. The metro was a short walk away. I could not ask for anything else.

It was a trip I will never forget.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
WV
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2009

We stayed 1 night at the hotel to attend a family party with our teen-age son using a senior discount. We had adjoining rooms. We easily found the hotel and received a greeting from the valet. We needed our car again within a few minutes and he showed us where to park. Check-in was quick and the desk clerk answered our questions about restaurants and the mall. Our rooms were comfortable but missing soap bars on arrival. A call to the front desk had a quick response. The bed was great but the air conditioning is loud when it cycles on during the night. Also, outside traffic noise can be heard but it is faint. We ate lunch at Ted's Montant across the street and dinner at PF Chang's (cold food and loud noise). The mall with a movie theater is a couple of blocks away. Breakfast was just so-so in the hotel restaurant but service was good. We'd stay here again.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to The Westin Arlington Gateway? Share your experiences!