“Very comfortable, but very poor service” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #29 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
Miami, Florida
“Very comfortable, but very poor service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2014

I take the view that the best way to gauge how good a hotel is how well it handles unforeseen problems/mishaps and how it ensures the comfort of the guest. In this sense, the hotel failed miserably.

I checked-in late on a Thu night. On Fri, at 1000hrs and 1300hrs, with a couple of my colleagues (one who was staying at Westin too), we had scheduled two very important and what we knew to be strenuous meetings at a nearby government agency. Fri morning, the cold faucet of the bathroom sink could not be closed and water was pouring (not dripping) out. As I left for my meetings, I called up the front desk and notified them.

I returned for a short bit of time after the first meeting, and the problem appeared to have been fixed. After my second meeting, I was very tired, and all I wanted was to take a long nap. But then the faucet problem surfaced again. I called up the front desk, and they sent a plumber up. He was very nice and apologetic. He took about 30-45mins for the repair. All through the scraping and the banging and the hammering, there was no nap for me. As he finished his job, the problem appeared to have been fixed. But no such luck.

On Sat morning, I wanted to get about 3 hours of work done before leaving for the airport for my 1255hrs flight. The faucet problem loomed its head again and water was gushing out. I simply couldn't wait in the room and get my work done. By this time, I had given up calling the front desk because they were not interested in fixing the problem, and they were clearly not too concerned about the comfort of the guest. And, the waste of gallons of water did not seem to bother them either. So much for the environment!

I just checked out at around 0800hrs and took a cab to the airport. Sad to say, but I was more comfortable at the terminal!

Let me end with something positive. Fri night, I wanted to relax and have a few drinks at Georgetown area (M Street + Wisconsin). As I was walking out trying to decide whether to take a cab or public transportation, a lady just came forward and asked me what she can do to assist me. When I told her about going to Georgetown, she was so so very nice to give me all the assistance I needed. She told me which bus to take, which train to take, what route number of the bus, etc. She then went on to give me map of the bus/train routes and recommended the 38B bus which takes you right to the heart of Georgetown (with no route changes). It is unfortunate that the front desk personnel were not that helpful with the faucet problem.

Room Tip: The hotel is clean and comfortable. But pray to whoever you pray that nothing goes wrong.
Green Features: The hotel does not appear too much to care about the environment. Otherwise, it would have taken more effective measure to fix the faucet.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Lara F, Public Relations Manager at The Westin Arlington Gateway, responded to this review, September 19, 2014
On behalf of our entire team, I must offer my sincerest apologies for the problems you encountered during your stay. The service issues you faced are unacceptable and we will be sure to make a devoted effort to resolve the matter and prevent it from happening again. I invite you to contact our team at frontoffice@westin-arlington.com to provide the room details so that we can have our Engineering Director review the call log and speak to the appropriate team member. The Westin brand is dedicated to meeting many green standards, and these issues do not properly represent our environmental goals. Again, I am very sorry to see these reoccurring issues that took place during your stay, and we will work to resolve them. When your travel plans bring you back to the area, we hope that you'll give us the opportunity to provide you with the best possible service and a comfortable stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2014

We stayed here for four nights over the 4th of July holiday weekend. The room was comfortable, quiet and we slept very well. We liked the touches like the coffee in the room. The gym is brilliant and has an abundance of machines so it never felt busy. The location of the hotel is excellent - a short stroll from Ballston Metro Station and there is also a bus that goes through Georgetown that leaves from near the hotel. For this reason, the hotel is great for visiting the sites in D.C. The hotel is in a modern part of Arlington and there is a shopping centre across the road from the hotel. The area was quiet at night as it is in a residential area but felt extremely safe and is nice to walk around. There are some eating options close-by but we tended to travel into the city to eat. The highlight of the stay had to be the friendliness of the staff. A great big thank you to Michelle, David and Hieu, the front desk agents we interacted with. They answered our many questions, gave us a late check-out and held onto our luggage for us when we did check-out. Their friendliness made our stay even more pleasant.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for sharing such kind words about your stay. It's this type of feedback that helps us know we're reaching and exceeding our service goals. Michelle, David, and Hieu will be excited to receive this recognition and I look forward to sharing these comments with them. On your next trip to Arlington and the Washington DC area, we hope that we'll be able to welcome you back for another enjoyable visit.
Fayetteville, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2014

Very comfortable, staff very friendly. We got there very late and they were nice enough to extend our checkout time. They had no other parking other than valet parking which is pricey. Would be nice if they had another parking option less expensive.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for choosing The Westin Arlington Gateway! We're glad to see you had an enjoyable stay. The DC and Arlington areas are limited with parking options, so we're always looking for ways to improve this service. I will pass your feedback to our valet team. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back for a future visit.
Pittsburgh, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

I'm with the "3.75 star" contingent here. Three-state six-room weekend family reunion. 2 1/2 blocks to Ballston Metro and Cosi for a quick meal. My sister got us great rates via Expedia so the value for that price was fine. Beds and shower heads truly fabulous. Quiet A/C. Funny how a small detail like leaf-shaped soap lingers in the memory : ) Staff uniformly courteous, friendly, and helpful. Flavored water dispenser in the lobby welcome in the summer heat. Pool all one depth but clean and well-shaded (windows on one wall).

Just wish Westin would fix the website! I called on a Friday about 9:10 AM to ask about basic stuff like Wifi (free), parking (pricey at $29--adding my voice to the litany of objections here), safe in room ("depends on the room"--is that true?), pool ("indoor, weekends only"--that was wrong, it's 7 days)--stuff everyone wants to know, yet I could not find it on line. Called the hotel twice, rang for 3 min each time without any answer, wound up calling the Westin 1-888 #, was on hold over 5 minutes, and then some of the information they gave me was incorrect. Shouldn't have to spend 11 minutes just to reach a human--and this stuff should be easily accessible on the website in the first place. That's an easy fix, Westin--tighten up your basic communication with guests : )

Would return. Had some trouble with a dog barking late afternoons unattended on the 9th floor and was told they "usually keep dogs on lower floors." Would like to see pet policy on website, too.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for choosing The Westin Arlington Gateway for your family reunion! I hope your time spent together was memorable and relaxing. I appreciate your feedback regarding the website. I will be sure to review it for a thorough audit and be sure that it communicates everything that would be most helpful to our guests. I will work with our corporate office to make sure this information is properly included on the mobile site as well. Thank you again for taking the time to share these details with us, and we look forward to welcoming you back on a future visit.
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I spent 2 days/2 nights here with our 2 young kids. We travel regularly. Service here was superior in every way. we left sneakers in our room on checkout... We were on road at light a block from hotel and someone knocked on our window... He had run over with the shoes!!! In pinzimini restaurant (fabulous food), both mornings, staff were so accommodating. Rooms nice as well. Can't say enough good things.

• Stayed August 2014
Thank you so much for sharing this story with us! It's comforting to know that this level of service was provided to you and your family. I'm so glad to hear you had a great stay. We appreciate you choosing us for your trip and we hope to welcome you back for a future stay.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

i have zero complaints...every single person i encountered was so nice and helpful and high spirited. my room was impeccable -the location was excellent...walking distance to tons of things...i wish i was still on vacation...the pricing was superb, they accomodated my request for double beds at no extra charge...valet parking is expensive at 29 a night and unless you find somewhere to park on the street you have to use valet...so that sucks but overall i had a great time.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

I got this hotel for a really great price off of priceline for a weekend stay.The location is amazing.There are several restaurants within close proximity,as well as a mall.Overall I would rate this hotel a 3.75,but the overnight valet parking is a little pricey(29.00).I was also a little bummed I didn't have anywhere to warm my food.

• Stayed August 2014

Been to The Westin Arlington Gateway? Share your experiences!