“Very nice hotel!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #28 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
Springfield
“Very nice hotel!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

We stayed for 7 nights in June and had a wonderful time. The room was spacious, clean, and well appointed. The breakfast buffet was excellent. It is 4 blocks from the metro and a short ride to all of D.C.'s attractions. There are lots of restaurants in the area as well as other shopping opportunities. We would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Danbury, Connecticut, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

My wife & I stayed here for a few nights over the 4th of July weekend. This hotel provided a much better value than other options within DC, and its location just 2 blocks from a Metro station gave us easy access to the city. The entrance and lobby is airy and modern, and we loved having a full Starbucks store right off the lobby to start the day.

We didn't use the hotel restaurant, but it looked decent. PF Changs and other good dining options are also right across the street.

We had a standard king room, which was comfortable, but the bathroom felt a tad on the small size. Bed and bath linens seemed particularly nice. The swimming pool was on the 3rd floor and the standard-height ceiling seemed a bit low for that type of space.

The staff was very friendly and promptly accommodating. Free valet parking is also a nice touch. I'd definitely consider staying here again next time we plan a visit to DC.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

I chose to stay at Westin Arlington for my past experiences with Westin Times Square. This hotel was a nice place to stay, too. Rooms are very clean. The signature of White Tea Aloe aroma is my favorite thing in Westin hotels, and it was there again. I loved it.

Details:
I stayed in a room in 5th floor. There was a noise problem from the windows and air conditioner which will disturb you. I couldn't sleep well, honestly. On the other hand, the beds are very comfortable. For two nights of parking, which is valet parking, I paid $58, excluding the tips.
Another problem was with the internet in the rooms. I had two devices, laptop and cell phone, by which I wanted to arrange some of my works online at night before midnight. Started at 11pm but couldn't connect properly for half an hour. And I called for Express Service. An IT expert came over the phone and we talked for about 30 minutes (at which I already missed my deadlines=fines on the way). Anyway until I go to sleep on 1AM, the internet wasn't properly provided in the room. So I was left with my works and deadlines and fines. The day after I had no time to take care of those and a simple problem led to more problems with me.

All in all, I liked the hotel but the noise and internet problems were a killer for me. I won't go back again to this particular one.

Room Tip: Don't go to rooms on the 5th floor for the noise.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
pzalocha, Director of Sales at The Westin Arlington Gateway, responded to this review, July 12, 2014
Dear Safa704,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I apologize for the inadequate internet service and noise issues you experienced during your stay. We will review your comments with our management team, and do everything we can to exceed your expectations on your next visit.

Paul
Chino, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

The staff was very friendly...The rooms were great and the beds were very comfortable. The pool area was clean and there was a lifeguard who was always checking to make sure the pool was clean. The room service was average.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Linz, Österreich
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

Beautiful, clean hotel with nice staff. Metro station (Ballston) is just two blocks away. Around the corner of the hotel there is a mall (not that awesome but quite ok) which is very useful if you need something from the pharmacy or want to grab a bite to eat. There are also some restaurants in the neighborhood and next to the hotel lobby there is a Starbucks.
Our room was on the third floor, spacious and clean.
The gym could have been better equipped (more heavy weights!), the indoor pool is quite nice.

The room rates are rather high so I don't understand, why WIFI is not already included.

Green Features: "Make a green choice" is an awesome project. For each night you decline housekeeping, you get a voucher or Starwood Preferred Guest Starpoints. Very nice idea.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

The streets in the area are a bit confusing. The hotel itself is very nice (tall shower, fridge, nice bed). It was worth the price we paid, but I cannot imagine paying full price. You can park overnight for free on a nearby street (a 4 minute walk). There are many restaurants nearby. I'd stay again. Next time I'd memorize a street map first.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Washington, DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

I stayed here for almost a week as my organization has an event here. I was given a room on the eighth floor and I asked to have my room changed. There were mold in the bathtub and also the toilet was not cleaned properly. There was just one spot and no matter how many times I flushed, it stayed there. I was much happier when they gave me another room. Bathroom cleanliness is definitely a deal breaker for me. Here are the pros and cons of staying in the hotel:

Pros:
Great location, near the metro station, and walking distance to many restaurants
Friendly staff at the front desk

Cons:
Mold in bathroom
A few nights I had requested some amenities, and it took forever for them to bring it up. Sometimes, no one answered the phone on the housekeeping line
Very very small gym
Weak room wifi (wifi is not free except in the lobby area)

I expected more as the room rate is quite high. I would recommend a higher level floor if you are bothered by the traffic.

Room Tip: Higher level room if you are a light sleeper as it can get noisy.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear Dizziey,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We will review your comments with our team, and work to improve our cleanliness and response times. I'm pleased to share that since your stay we are now offering complimentary basic internet service in our guest rooms, and have a rooms renovation scheduled to begin in January 2015. We hope to welcome you back to our hotel and deliver an experience that will exceed your expectations!

Paul

Been to The Westin Arlington Gateway? Share your experiences!