“Top Notch!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #28 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
Lancaster,PA
“Top Notch!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

When I travel I don't tend to stay at places that rent rooms by the hour, but I also generally don't stay at the higher end of the spectrum. I like clean, quiet, good value....probably like most people.
Recently I stayed at the Westin while attending a funeral at the National Cemetary. I have to say this is one of the nicest hotels I have ever patronized. From the warm greeting at the valet parking, to the desk staff, the bell staff, even the cleaning staff...everybody was friendly and helpful. The room was more than spacious, spanking clean, and had a view of the downtown Arlington that was very much Washington-ish.
Our group sat in the casual seating near the bar for hours (thank doesn't sound good), and the wait staff was quick with drinks and snacks. In addition, they took the time to chat and even offer condolences. I never got the feeling they were hustling for a tip.
While there are ample restaurants and bars in the area, there is really no need to venture out. The breakfast buffet was very goo...fresh with a good variety.
I don't go to the Washington area often, but when I do I will stay at the Westin.

Room Tip: Get an upper floor for the view.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Lara F, Executive Assistant at The Westin Arlington Gateway, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share such a detailed review of your stay. I'm glad to see we could provide you with a comfortable experience even while traveling for this sad occasion. Our team wishes you the best and looks forward to serving you again in the future!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

This hotel could be a great hotel in the suburban DC area. Instead, their staff and poor maintenance make it one to skip. This was our second time staying here (we have friends that live a few blocks away.) Both times, the staff we encountered appeared like they would rather be someplace else. We had problems with the room both times, and when we would seek resolution at the front desk, they seemed bothered. Most recently, we had to request to be moved into another room because a building HVAC fan kept us up all night. The person processing the request seemed annoyed he had to go through the process - even though the hotel was nearly empty. Which brings up another point for any SPG Gold or Platinum members: no upgrades! Both times we failed to get a room upgrade (SPG Platinum). On the most recent trip, the check in clerk said that the hotel was so slow and empty, that they shut down a lot of floors, thus less suites available. So he admitted they had suites, but none for us. Certainly not what a Platinum member wants to hear. In the end, they comp'd us 1000 Starpoints for our troubles, but the impression I got was "that's just the way it goes at this hotel, if you don't like it, stay elsewhere" So, next trip we well. There are other Starwood properties nearby that hopefully want their elite members as guests.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Lara F, Executive Assistant at The Westin Arlington Gateway, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Thank you so much for providing your feedback regarding your stay. The Westin culture teaches us to help guests be able to depart feeling better than when they arrived. Your experience certainly does not reflect that type of experience and I want to offer my apologies on behalf of the entire team. We will meet with our front desk staff to discuss these comments you've provided. We do value our SPG Members, as well as all of our guests, and I hope that on your next visit to Arlington, you can feel confident that we strive to provide the best possible service. If you have any additional details you wish to share, please contact us at frontoffice@westin-arlington.com
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

I recently stayed at this property to join friends for the weekend and have mixed feelings. The staff was wonderful and welcoming with the exception of Housekeeping/Maintenance.

The front of the house is clean and new looking but the rooms are starting to show some age and neglect. Now don’t get me wrong this Westin is still miles away ahead of other chains but it’s not what I have come to expect from the brand.

Items in the room such as a desk phone are dusty and carpets stained in the vestibule (from flooding or snowy wet boots and coats, not sure). Paint touch ups in the bathroom were messy and obviously carried out in a rush, without care.

The arm chair fabric was not a good choice as its light and is looking pilled and the closet shelf was separating from the frame and was not painted so standing out brightly.

The soundproofing on the windows was ok, city noise is to be expected, but the noise from the hallway was as if the people were in my room.

I hope the management takes this as a warning that it’s time to take a closer look at the details before this property begins to slide too far.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Lara F, Executive Assistant at The Westin Arlington Gateway, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
Thank you for providing our team with this valuable feedback. I am very sorry to hear that your stay was anything less than exceptional. We are continuously working to improve the hotel, and our housekeeping and maintenance teams will be taking a deeper look into guestroom quality, in order to prevent the type of experience you have shared with us. If you would like to share any more details of your stay, please contact us at frontoffice@westin-arlington.com so that our team can take a detailed review of your room. I thank you for choosing The Westin Arlington Gateway, and I hope when you return to the area, we will be able to provide you with excellent service.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

We have stayed at this property numerous times and were pleased in the past (it is also convenient to the subway lines into DC). This time they stuck us on a floor that was under construction. Two steps off the elevator, you could see plastic on the walls and huge fans running all the way down the halls. The first night we noticed a continuous clunking, which kept all of us up all night. We reported it and they said they were going to check it out...they forgot to. The next night...the same noise and lack of attention. In fact, I even recorded the noise on my phone and when I asked them if they wanted to hear it, they said that "it wasn't necessary."

Room Tip: Rooms in another hotel would be quieter
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
David M, Director of Rooms Division at The Westin Arlington Gateway, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Dear MichiganMan90,

Thank you for providing your review of The Westin Arlington Gateway. I am glad that you find our location to be ideal for Metro access when traveling to Arlington, VA. I was disappointed to read about the shortfall in follow up and maintenance of your guestroom. I have shared your comments with our team so that we may complete the appropriate repairs. Please feel free to contact me directly at 703.537.4216 if you would like to provide additional details about your stay.

Blacksburg, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

Love a nice hotel that not only says they're "pet friendly", but their employees also exhibit that friendliness toward my four-legged, furry child. Our room on the 4th floor was very clean (bathroom was updated and spotless) and the bed was oh so comfy. Why only 3 stars? I can't get past a hotel in this day and age charging $12/day for slow wifi. Fast, easily accessible wifi from my room is more important to me than a flat screen TV. I can't work without it. I can't connect to my family without it. I don't care if you up the room rate by $15/night...don't ask me to pay for wifi...that just ticks me off and makes me want to go to a hotel where I get it for "free".

Regarding the "pet friendliness" - again, the staff was great with our dog. The only suggestion I have is a map or directions to where a pet can "do his business". Not being familiar with the area, we had a very difficult time finding a grassy/mulched area that didn't have a "no dogs allowed" sign.

Green Features: The water pressure in the sink was very low. Not what I'm used to but wasn't too inconvenient.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
David M, Director of Rooms Division at The Westin Arlington Gateway, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Dear tinainvirginia,

Thank you for reviewing The Westin Arlington Gateway and highlighting our "Love That Dog" program. The Westin Arlington Gateway does allows dogs under 40 lbs. to stay with you during your travels. I was disappointed to read that the WiFi offering failed to meet your expectations. The Westin Arlington Gateway offers a variety of guestroom packages that include High Speed Internet Access. In Addition, Gold and Platinum elite level members of the Starwood Preferred Guest program have the option to select complimentary internet access at time of arrival. I hope we have the opportunity to host you on your next visit to Arlington.

Loyola, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

We have stayed here numerous times and their consistency is the mark. Not fancy but clean, functional and quiet. The location is perfect. I66 and Metro station within a stones throw. Route 50 only a bit farther. The restaurant is good and quick and the bar service friendly. Starbucks in the lobby is a nice feature. The fitness center is well equipped for a hotel gym and always spotless.

Stayed December 2013
David M, Director of Rooms Division at The Westin Arlington Gateway, responded to this review, December 29, 2013
Dear T P,

Thank you for taking the time to review The Westin Arlington Gateway. I appreciate the positive feedback and will share the comments with our housekeeping team. Pinzimini is an ideal location to share one of our signature entrees over lunch, or unwind with a local craft beer and good company after a long day. We hope to see you again soon in the New Year.

Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

I selected the Westin Arlington Gateway for a two night stay for its location and reasonable company rates. The 'heavenly bed' was exceptionally comfortable and deserves its designation. The heating/ventilation system in the room was also very comfortable and quite. I wouldn't describe the reception staff as particularly 'friendly', but they were businesslike, helpful and efficient. Check-in and check-out was very quick.
My only quibble was with the prices for breakfast in the restaurant. A full breakfast of coffee, OJ, cereal and a hot plate came to over $30. The food was pretty good, but expensive. There are plenty of other eating options in the immediate vicinity for other meals but the only alternative for breakfast was an onsite Starbucks for those who just want a coffee and pastry on the go.
The most important things for me in a hotel stay are a good night's sleep and a decent breakfast.
The Westin exceeded my expectations for the former, but the later came with a hefty price.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dear repleo52,

Thank you for the compliments of the hotel during your visit. I was delighted to read that the 'Heavenly Bed' exceeded your expectations. Our culinary team, lead by our new Executive Chef Bo Palker, is currently reviewing the menu offerings. I look forward to your next visit to the Arlington area so that you may enjoy the new seasonal offerings.

Director of Rooms Division

Been to The Westin Arlington Gateway? Share your experiences!