“Good Service but rooms are not up to par” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #28 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
New York City, New York
“Good Service but rooms are not up to par”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

I recently stayed at this property to join friends for the weekend and have mixed feelings. The staff was wonderful and welcoming with the exception of Housekeeping/Maintenance.

The front of the house is clean and new looking but the rooms are starting to show some age and neglect. Now don’t get me wrong this Westin is still miles away ahead of other chains but it’s not what I have come to expect from the brand.

Items in the room such as a desk phone are dusty and carpets stained in the vestibule (from flooding or snowy wet boots and coats, not sure). Paint touch ups in the bathroom were messy and obviously carried out in a rush, without care.

The arm chair fabric was not a good choice as its light and is looking pilled and the closet shelf was separating from the frame and was not painted so standing out brightly.

The soundproofing on the windows was ok, city noise is to be expected, but the noise from the hallway was as if the people were in my room.

I hope the management takes this as a warning that it’s time to take a closer look at the details before this property begins to slide too far.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Lara F, Executive Assistant at The Westin Arlington Gateway, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
Thank you for providing our team with this valuable feedback. I am very sorry to hear that your stay was anything less than exceptional. We are continuously working to improve the hotel, and our housekeeping and maintenance teams will be taking a deeper look into guestroom quality, in order to prevent the type of experience you have shared with us. If you would like to share any more details of your stay, please contact us at frontoffice@westin-arlington.com so that our team can take a detailed review of your room. I thank you for choosing The Westin Arlington Gateway, and I hope when you return to the area, we will be able to provide you with excellent service.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

We have stayed at this property numerous times and were pleased in the past (it is also convenient to the subway lines into DC). This time they stuck us on a floor that was under construction. Two steps off the elevator, you could see plastic on the walls and huge fans running all the way down the halls. The first night we noticed a continuous clunking, which kept all of us up all night. We reported it and they said they were going to check it out...they forgot to. The next night...the same noise and lack of attention. In fact, I even recorded the noise on my phone and when I asked them if they wanted to hear it, they said that "it wasn't necessary."

Room Tip: Rooms in another hotel would be quieter
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
David M, Director of Rooms Division at The Westin Arlington Gateway, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Dear MichiganMan90,

Thank you for providing your review of The Westin Arlington Gateway. I am glad that you find our location to be ideal for Metro access when traveling to Arlington, VA. I was disappointed to read about the shortfall in follow up and maintenance of your guestroom. I have shared your comments with our team so that we may complete the appropriate repairs. Please feel free to contact me directly at 703.537.4216 if you would like to provide additional details about your stay.

Blacksburg, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

Love a nice hotel that not only says they're "pet friendly", but their employees also exhibit that friendliness toward my four-legged, furry child. Our room on the 4th floor was very clean (bathroom was updated and spotless) and the bed was oh so comfy. Why only 3 stars? I can't get past a hotel in this day and age charging $12/day for slow wifi. Fast, easily accessible wifi from my room is more important to me than a flat screen TV. I can't work without it. I can't connect to my family without it. I don't care if you up the room rate by $15/night...don't ask me to pay for wifi...that just ticks me off and makes me want to go to a hotel where I get it for "free".

Regarding the "pet friendliness" - again, the staff was great with our dog. The only suggestion I have is a map or directions to where a pet can "do his business". Not being familiar with the area, we had a very difficult time finding a grassy/mulched area that didn't have a "no dogs allowed" sign.

Green Features: The water pressure in the sink was very low. Not what I'm used to but wasn't too inconvenient.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
David M, Director of Rooms Division at The Westin Arlington Gateway, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Dear tinainvirginia,

Thank you for reviewing The Westin Arlington Gateway and highlighting our "Love That Dog" program. The Westin Arlington Gateway does allows dogs under 40 lbs. to stay with you during your travels. I was disappointed to read that the WiFi offering failed to meet your expectations. The Westin Arlington Gateway offers a variety of guestroom packages that include High Speed Internet Access. In Addition, Gold and Platinum elite level members of the Starwood Preferred Guest program have the option to select complimentary internet access at time of arrival. I hope we have the opportunity to host you on your next visit to Arlington.

Loyola, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

We have stayed here numerous times and their consistency is the mark. Not fancy but clean, functional and quiet. The location is perfect. I66 and Metro station within a stones throw. Route 50 only a bit farther. The restaurant is good and quick and the bar service friendly. Starbucks in the lobby is a nice feature. The fitness center is well equipped for a hotel gym and always spotless.

Stayed December 2013
David M, Director of Rooms Division at The Westin Arlington Gateway, responded to this review, December 29, 2013
Dear T P,

Thank you for taking the time to review The Westin Arlington Gateway. I appreciate the positive feedback and will share the comments with our housekeeping team. Pinzimini is an ideal location to share one of our signature entrees over lunch, or unwind with a local craft beer and good company after a long day. We hope to see you again soon in the New Year.

Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

I selected the Westin Arlington Gateway for a two night stay for its location and reasonable company rates. The 'heavenly bed' was exceptionally comfortable and deserves its designation. The heating/ventilation system in the room was also very comfortable and quite. I wouldn't describe the reception staff as particularly 'friendly', but they were businesslike, helpful and efficient. Check-in and check-out was very quick.
My only quibble was with the prices for breakfast in the restaurant. A full breakfast of coffee, OJ, cereal and a hot plate came to over $30. The food was pretty good, but expensive. There are plenty of other eating options in the immediate vicinity for other meals but the only alternative for breakfast was an onsite Starbucks for those who just want a coffee and pastry on the go.
The most important things for me in a hotel stay are a good night's sleep and a decent breakfast.
The Westin exceeded my expectations for the former, but the later came with a hefty price.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dear repleo52,

Thank you for the compliments of the hotel during your visit. I was delighted to read that the 'Heavenly Bed' exceeded your expectations. Our culinary team, lead by our new Executive Chef Bo Palker, is currently reviewing the menu offerings. I look forward to your next visit to the Arlington area so that you may enjoy the new seasonal offerings.

York Haven
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

Great experience at the Westin Arlington Gateway. Robert at the Front Desk was superb. Answered all questions and was extremely helpful. Room was clean..pillow and bedding was so comfortable!!! The rainfall shower was a spa experience. Hotel was close to most arlington locations. The staff has excellent customer service skills. Only negative was the high fees for the parking garage!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
David M, Director of Rooms Division at The Westin Arlington Gateway, responded to this review, December 19, 2013
Dear cruizn302,

Thank you for the glowing review of The Westin Arlington Gateway. I will be sure to pass the compliments to our Guest Services team. I was delighted to read that both the Heavenly Bed and the Heavenly Shower 2 exceeded your expectations. Prior to your next visit, be sure to check our offers page as we frequently have guestroom packages that include valet parking, breakfast or other amenities.

Seattle WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

Stayed here for a conference. It is very well located for he area restaurants as well as the subway..which can get you everywhere. The staff was great as well as the rooms..which were clean and well stocked.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
David M, Director of Rooms Division at The Westin Arlington Gateway, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Dear Steve_L_WA,

Thank you for your review of The Westin Arlington Gateway and for attending the conference. I look forward to sharing your comments with our housekeeping team that our room was " Clean and Well Stocked". We hope to see you again soon.

Dave Meredith

Been to The Westin Arlington Gateway? Share your experiences!