“Disappointing for a Westin” 3 of 5 stars

Special Deal
Complimentary Breakfast
Ranked #29 of 47 hotels in Arlington
Georgia
“Disappointing for a Westin”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

Friendly staff, and a nice location. Close to the Metro and there are plenty of restaurants nearby.

The rooms are dated. They are just not up to what I would expect for a Westin, and what they expect people to pay to stay here. Also other than location, this hotel really doesn't differentiate itself in any way, which is a shame because there are plenty of other properties within a few blocks.

My TV did not have a HDMI port, it was that old. One of my biggest pet peaves in 2013 is no place to plug in a smart phone near the bed, this should be mandatory. This should have been mandatory 8 years ago. Also the bathroom had some moldy spots and the hardware was just not impressive, as I showed in the pictures.

The wifi is a complete joke, especially the part about wanting people to pay for it. When I did connect to the "standard" internet, I realized that it was about 5 times slower than my smartphone, so I gave up, complete waste of money.

The pool is small, but the workout room is nice and there is plenty of equipment. The club lounge is uninspired both in the morning and evening. For instance, the yogurt and bagel varieties lose out to the last Fairfield Inn that I stayed at.

The location is good, the restaurant below has very friendly staff, there just isn't a compelling reason to stay here.

Room Tip: The higher the better, no view and you want to stay away from the busy road outside.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
David M, Director of Rooms Division at The Westin Arlington Gateway, responded to this review, November 10, 2013
Dear Falqon,

Thank you for taking the time to review The Westin Arlington Gateway. I am sorry you found the hotel disappointing during your visit. We are currently reviewing options to make the rooms more convenient and I look forward to posting about them soon.

Be well,

-Dave

537 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

Rooms are standard for Westin, beds are fantastic! Weekend staff must not be their A team. Significant waits for valet parking and check-in, combined at least 30 minutes. Far from ideal.

While the hotel is nice, prices are not low and there are many other viable options in this area.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Lara F, Manager at The Westin Arlington Gateway, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
I appreciate you taking the time to submit these comments regarding your stay and provide me with this valuable feedback. I'm so sorry to hear that you experienced some issues during your visit. Our team strives to provide the best possible service to every guest, and I will bring this information back to them to review. I agree that the wait time for the valet is not ideal, and I will be sure to meet with that department to discuss. If you have any additional information or would like to go over the details of your stay, please reach out to us at frontoffice@westin-arlington.com.

Again, my sincerest apologies that you did not experience the best possible service during your stay with us. We hope that you'll consider The Westin Arlington Gateway on your next trip to Arlington so that we may exceed your expectations.
Riverdale, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

I recently stayed at the Westin Arlington Gateway for a business trip for two nights.

Front Desk:
There was no wait for check in and the staff was extremely friendly and professional.

Rooms:
The rooms are standard Westin rooms. They were very clean and the linens and bathrooms were also clean as well. If you are looking for a room with a view, there is not much of a view of anything unless you are on an extremely high floor as the property is in downtown Arlington. The Rooms do have a fridge, ironing board, electronic safe, flat screen tv etc. As with most Starwood Properties, unless you have status with SPG, in room internet is $10 a day but there is free wi fi in the lobby. This is my one pet peeve as you are paying top dollar for this property and have to pay al a carte for wi fi? (Even the doubletree has free wi fi in the room! Come on Westin). I however will saved my $20 and just hot spotted my phone for my own wi fi.

Lobby:
The lobby is very nice and contains the front desk, concierge, Starbucks, and business center as well as pinzImini restaurant. However, one feature I did not like about the lobby was that there was not a lot of space to do work if you needed to sit and do work and the business center is also located in the lobby where it very loud and busy and there is no privacy.

Restaurant:
PinzImini serves breakfast and dinner and we only ate there for breakfast. The breakfast was pretty good and fairly priced for a Westin. There was also no wait so we were in and out in no time.

Pool: there is a pool on the 3rd floor but I did not get a chance however to check it out.

Parking:
Parking is $26 a day and is valet only. If you are looking for other alternatives, there is a garage across the street for $24 a day self park or for a more cheaper option, downs the street is a mall where it is $10 per 24 hours.

Location:
The westin is located in a great area as there are a lot of shops, restaurants, and bars within walking distance. Also, if you walk about a block and a half, you will find the Ballston Metro Station (orange line) whee you can take the metro into d.c.

All in all, this is a nice property in a great location.

Room Tip: Avoid the $26 valet parking fee and park down the street at the mall for $10.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Lara F, Manager at The Westin Arlington Gateway, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
I really appreciate you taking the time to give the details to each part of your stay. It's always helpful to our team to have a clearer understanding of what our guests do enjoy and what areas could be improved. I will be sure our team has a way to better communicate the parking and internet charges. I'm glad to see you enjoyed your experience at Pinzimini and that you were able to take advantage of the many options of our Ballston neighborhood. Our team thanks you for choosing the Westin Arlington Gateway. When you are visiting the area again, we hope to welcome you back for another stay.
Topeka, KS
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013 via mobile

My 2013 hotel stay went more smoothly than my 2012 stay which was a series of mishaps resulting in room changes. The only hiccup for my most recent stay was the fact that they had no record of my reservation that had been made through a third party. However, the front desk attendent, Beth, was great and found my reservation after making a couple of phone calls. The hotel and the room was very clean and in good repair. The location of this hotel is perfect for my business meeting, and there are lots of restaurants in walking distance. All of the staff that I encountered were very friendly.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Lara F, Manager at The Westin Arlington Gateway, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Thank you for choosing the Westin Arlington Gateway. I'm so glad you gave us the opportunity to deliver a better experience during your stay. We are always striving to provide the best possible service and these comments keep us motivated. Our team will take comfort in knowing that you were able to see improvement. We look forward to welcoming you back for a future visit and we hope to exceed your expectations yet again.
Dhahran, Saudi Arabia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

I stayed for two nights at the Weston hotel in Arlington while visiting the DC area. The front desk Beth did a marvelous work as initially she could not find me reservation but she managed to getbme a room with all the requirements I needed.

The room was very clean and the bed with the pillows provided a very relaxing sleep.

The rooms were spacious and in room 630 the AC had a buzzing sound but generally worked ok.

The hotel has a Starbucks coffee in the lobby which was perfect to get a morning cup of coffee. The coffee in the rooms was supplied from Starbucks as well.

The elevators are fast to come so no waisted time in waiting for them.

The hotel has a mall next to it, not too big but decent . Many restaurants around the hotel in walking distance (vapaino, panera, PF Chang and many others)

Check out was a breeze without surprises in the bell.

Over all it was a great experience

Room Tip: Check the AC noises when checking in as it might get louder
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Joanna S, Manager at The Westin Arlington Gateway, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your comments. It's great to see that our team was able to provide you with excellent service from check-in to check-out and I look forward to sharing this feedback with them. And thank you for bringing the AC unit to my attention. I'll be sure to have a member of our engineering staff look into it. We appreciate you choosing the Westin Arlington Gateway and we hope to welcome you back for a future visit.
Portland, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

This has to be one of the worst Westin's I have stayed in. The lobby and exterior of the hotel is very presentable. Its when you get into the rooms that you begin to wonder if you are in the same hotel. Stayed here for 5 nights (had 2 rooms, one suite and one double room) and could not wait to leave. The suite on 15th Floor, which is the Starwood Premium Floor, leaves a lot to be desired. The suite was dark and dreary. The sofa bed in the living room had seen better days. The cushions on this horrible sofa were squished, dirty and had seen better days. The carpet needs to be burnt. How can they justify this? The Executive lounge carpet (see photos) is disgusting and has stains which are blatantly visible. How can one eat breakfast in a place that looks like this? I did not. This is NOT a cheap hotel therefore its a total rip off. Housekeeping is sporadic. The service button on the telephone did not work for 3 days. The water pressure in the sink is a trickle at best. When I complained and they sent a person up told me that there is nothing wrong and the whole hotel has the same pressure. The refrigerator made a not-so-soothing noise day and night and it was in the bedroom.

The best is yet to come. The Valet backed our car into a wall in the parking lot in the basement! Seriously they did. But I must admit that the Management offered to take care of the repairs but of course not the inconvenience (they did not charge us for the parking). They should have comped the room. I am hoping that they still will when they read this (if they read this).

Do not stay here and do not use the parking facility. The Management needs to wake up.

Room Tip: Check the room before you move in - if you really do decide to stay here.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear KiraMexico,

I was disappointed to read your review of The Westin Arlington Gateway. From your comments we failed to meet your basic expectations and I do apologize. I would greatly appreciate an opportunity to discuss your visit, please connect with me directly at 703.537.4216.

Be well,

-Dave
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

This was my first time visiting DC and we wanted to stay somewhere near the Metro that wouldn't break the bank. After doing some research we decided on this Westin and when we booked on line and paid in advance we got a fairly good deal at least compared to comparable hotels in DC.

The Metro is just about 2 blocks from the hotel and an easy flat stroll. The hotel has a Starbucks right off to the side of their lobby which made it very easy to grab a coffee in the morning. They also had a little restaurant in the lobby We only had breakfast there one day which was OK. 2 eggs with toast and choice of meat was about $12.

I was on the 10th floor of about 15 total. No view to look at just the building across the street. Ask for a room away from the street if you are a light sleeper as it was a bit noisy during the evenings on the street side. The room was a rectangle box but had those heavenly beds and I slept great. The shower has the rounded curtain rod to appear to give you a little more room.

The concierge gave us a great recommendation for a restaurant just behind the hotel that was wonderful, Grand Cru. Would stay there again for the overall convenience and choices of restaurants in the area.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for choosing the Westin Arlington Gateway! I'm so happy to know we were a part of your first trip to our Nation's Capital and that our convenient location helped you get around town easily. I'm sorry your room did not exceed your expectations but I'm glad you were able to enjoy a restful sleep. Thanks again for your comments and feedback. Our team looks forward to welcoming you back for a future stay.

Been to The Westin Arlington Gateway? Share your experiences!