“Plusses outweighed minuses - pretty good overall” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #28 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
Vancouver, Canada
“Plusses outweighed minuses - pretty good overall”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Stayed there for the Inauguration weekend. Clean rooms, polite staff. A few minutes from the Ballston Metro station, and a few steps away from a mall (didn't check it out, unfortunately).
Not that I expect staff to be tripping over themselves, but other SPG hotels that I've stayed in have made me feel more welcome as a member. Also, unfortunately, wi-fi was not included. It was free in the lobby, but there was an event the evening I was there, making it awkward to hang out in the lobby. Perhaps it would have been an idea to make it free in the rooms for that evening.
Overall, a nice property. Could stay there again, ideally with more time to take in the amenities.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Roger A, General Manager at The Westin Arlington Gateway, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear Iyacom,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Westin Arlington Gateway. I was happy to see that you experienced our signature Westin service and that you enjoyed our location. In addition, I have shared your comments with the team regarding the internet and your SPG status.

I hope that should your travels return you to the area, you choose to stay with us again!

Roger Aberth

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for the Inaugural weekend/MLK Holiday. Check in was simple and ALL the htetl staff we encountered was polite. The bed were comfortable so much i didnt want to get out of it. We had a drainage problem with the sink but they sent some one up within 15 minutes and it was fixed.It's a 5 minute walk to the Ballston Metro which takes you into DC within 10 minutes.Even with the thousands of people for the event, this was the best way to go. After lots of walking in DC, we took advantage of the hot tub each night. A mall is down the street and there are plenty of places to eat. PF Chang is directly across the street and the Green Turtle is a great place to watch the game and they have late night menu. We actually went here twice. Food is great. Will definetly stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear BigTex201060956,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Westin Arlington Gateway on such a memorable occasion! I was so glad to see that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you were able to take advantage of our prime location.

I hope that you return to stay with us in the future.

Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Our stay was charming! The hotel is located near the mall, restaurants, and the Metro! I have never seen a white bathroom so clean!The rainfall shower head and wand was a delight. I don't walk barefoot in hotel rooms unless its spotless. I could do that here. Everyone was very friendly too. The only reason the hotel doesn't have straight fives is because it houses a restaurant that serves poor food. I feel I'm very fair. And I know their restaurant may be under separate ownership/manager but at the end of the day it reflects the hotel. I would stay there again without a doubt. But I would NEVER eat in the restaurant again!

• Stayed January 2013
Dear DivaLadyJ_28,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Westin Arlington Gateway. I was so happy to see that you were able to take advantage of our prime location, and that you were pleased with the cleanliness of the hotel. I am sorry that you had a bad experience in Pinzimini. Rest assured that that is not our normal standard of food service. I have shared your comments with the restaurant team, and I have also shared your positive comments with the housekeeping team.

I hope that you visit us in the future.

Be inspired,

Lincoln, RI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We went to DC for the inauguration in celebration of my mother's 80th birthday. In advance of our arrival I arranged for a wheelchair and for a celebratory acknowledgement from the hotel. Everything was ready when we were. The staff was extrememly accommodating, the facilities met our needs and the entire experience was a delight. The hotel was just two short blocks to the metro station and my son's apartment was less than a 2 minute walk so the location was ideal. We were able to get into DC with no worries and participate in the festivities.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Linda A,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Westin Arlington Gateway! I was so pleased to see that we were able to accomodate your wishes for such a memorable occasion.

I sincerely hope that you choose to stay with us again should your travels return you to the area.

NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Very nice hotel in a great location. Check-in was smooth and simple. This hotel is only a 10 minute drive from Washington DC and much more affordable than hotels in DC. However, keep in mind that a cab ride to DC will cost around $15 each way or more depending on where in DC you plan to go. Also, overnight valet parking is an additional cost to keep in mind.

Service was great at the hotel. Room size was sufficient with all of the standard Westin amenities. It does look like this hotel was renovated at some point, but not 100% renovated. The ottoman that goes with the chair seems like it was not replaced during the renovation and the carpet may not have been either (or they chose to replace it with a low quality old style carpet).

Overall, good choice since it saves you money from getting a similar hotel in DC and there are also great restaurants and shops in Arlington so you don't have to go to DC for meals.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Roger A, General Manager at The Westin Arlington Gateway, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Dear abcd18,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Westin Arlington Gateway. I was glad to see that you were able to enjoy our prime location and Westin amenities. Should your travels return you to the area in the future, I hope that you choose to stay with us again.

Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

When I arrived to the Westin Arlington Gateway, I had a less than happy front desk person assist me with my check-in process. Once I arrived to the room, it was a double bed, and my reservation guaranteed a king bed. It might have been nice had the sour front desk person bothered to even alert me or ask me about this. I had a WONDERFUL young woman who was helping with my luggage named Elizabeth. Elizabeth suggested I call and ask for another room, and when I did, the shift Manager named Joel answered the phone. Within three minutes, Joel and Elizabeth had me in a suite, continuously apologizing for the confusion. Elizabeth left to bring me my new room key cards and when she arrived with them, she had a letter from Joel with another card allowing me access to the concierge ameneties. Now, I am not an important Westin guest. In fact, I normally stay at Marriott properties and am a Gold rewards member with Marriott. But with this kind of service, I will definitely be back at Westin. I highly recommend the hotel to anyone in the Arlington, Va area. KUDOS to Joel and Elizabeth. This is great customer service in action!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Billy F,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Westin Arlington Gateway. I was so happy to see that what could have been a negative experience was turned around by Elizabeth and Joel! I have shared your comments with the team, and we certainly look forward to welcoming you in the future.

Be Inspired,

Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

I had to be in Arlington for business. I chose the Westin Arlington due to the proximity to my meeting. The rooms seem brand new with very nice, clean & modern bathrooms. I did not try the pool or gym since I was there for a short time, but the service was excellent and the business-related amenities were all you could ask for. The hotel bar is great as well.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Roger A, General Manager at The Westin Arlington Gateway, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Dear cramereast,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Westin Arlington Gateway. I was happy to see that you were able to take advantage of our meeting facilities as well as our bar in Pinzimini. I sincerely hope that should your travels return you to the area, that we are able to welcome you again.

Roger Aberth

Been to The Westin Arlington Gateway? Share your experiences!