“Week stay for business” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #28 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
“Week stay for business”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

Good clean hotel, very nice staff & the concierge Cynthia provided us with Very good support on everything! Would defenitely recommend it to anyone. The location is convenient but the metros toward the DC don't run as often (every 15 to 20 mins). All in all a good place to stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Roger A, General Manager at The Westin Arlington Gateway, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Dear Neil_Chin23,
Thank you for taking the time to review The Westin Arlington Gateway. I was so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and the close proximity to DC. I look forward to welcoming you for your next stay. Be inspired.
Roger Aberth

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Beirut, Lebanon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights while in the process or relocating from Senegal to Ballston (Arlington, VA). There's nothing REALLY wrong with this hotel, but there's nothing too great about it either.

Here are the highlights:

Good location. 3 blocks to Ballston metro. However, the Ballston metro is about a 15-20 minute ride into DC. There are also good chain restaurants within very short walking distance.

Good gym. The gym had ellipticals and treadmills with personal TVs. There were dumbbells and a few weight machines as well. The pool was indoors and could be used for lap swimming.

Here are the lowlights:

Good luck getting your room cleaned before 4pm. One day we actually had to contact the desk to ask them to send someone up to clean it.

A/C Broken. The A/C in our room was not working.

Mix up on check in. We arrived at the hotel directly from the airport after flying in from Africa. About a week before we arrived, I called the hotel reception desk to make two requests. The first was to combine two back to back reservations so that we could stay in the same room both nights. The person I spoke with told me she would put a note on the reservation so take care of this. When we arrived, they had no idea what we were talking about. The second request was that the hotel receive a package that I had shipped there (a surprise gift for my wife) and that they add a note to the reservation so that whoever checked us in would not mention the package when we checked in (because my wife would be standing right there). Of course as soon as we arrived the first thing the receptionist said was "there's a package for you here" and he sent to bellhop to go get the package. So that blew the surprise. It was obviously kind of funny, but the hotel guy was not apologetic at all. I thought he might offer us a drink voucher or something, but he didn't seem to think that was appropriate.

Paying for Internet. I know free internet access is probably rare in DC, but this is kind of a pet peeve of mine. In the year 2012, if you aren't charging guests extra for TV, running water, and electricity, you shouldn't be charging them for internet access.

Price. You can get a Federal government rate anywhere in DC, and the non-government rates at this hotel aren't much different than nicer hotels closer to DC. If you aren't getting a government rate I'd suggest the Hyatt Arlington. If you are getting a government rate, I'd say definitely look elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Senegeser,
Thank you for taking the time to review The Westin Arlington Gateway. I was glad to see that you were able to enjoy some amenities offered at the hotel and surrounding areas. I am sorry to see you had a dissapointing experience at the Front Desk and with the timeliness of housekeeping. Rest assured, I have relayed your comments with the team, and I hope that you consider staying with us again should you need lodging in the area. Be well.
Tacoma, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

Convenient location, very professional and helpful staff: concierges, bellmen, front-desk staff. Very clean rooms and bathrooms. Exercise room crowded most of the time but you can replace it but a nice stroll in the surrounding area.

Room Tip: Higuer floor
Dear f0097,
Thank you for taking the time to review The Westin Arlington Gateway. I was pleased to see that you had a wonderful stay with us. I hope that you have the opportunity to return to our hotel in the future. Be well.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

Its always nice to go to a place where you greeted by a person that seems a part of your family.I was amazed and delighted that Cal still remember me and the moment he saw me,he greeted me with a big smile,warm and a welcoming hug.His friendly nature is always the highlights of my stay!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Champs0612,
Thank you for taking the time to review The Westin Arlington Gateway. I am so glad that Cal was able to provide you with excellent customer service, and he and I both look forward to welcoming you back in the future! Be inspired.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

I stayed at the Westin Arlington Gateway many months for business, excellent place to be. I would like to especially thank the front Office Manager Stepan Sova and his team for the great service and assistance they provided me. Everybody made me feel special and welcome during my entire stay. Hotel looks great and is very clean, restaurant offering nice menu and great selection of the beers. I also would like to mention the great service I received from Maria at the bar. It's great that your property has a Starbucks located in the lobby. I would definitely recommend this property, and will most definitely be back!

Dear Tony B,
Thank you for taking the time to review The Westin Arlington Gateway. I am so happy that our ladies and gentlemen were able to welcome you and to make you feel special during your various stays with us. I have shared your positive feedback with the team. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future. Be well.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

While I think its overpriced, I can definitely say I enjoy how its in the middle of Arlington and very close to DC, which is good. The food at the italian place downstairs is really good, the front desk staff was very helpful and personal (thank you Yohanes, who managed the entire line of customers by himself) as was the rest of the staff. I had an issue with my safe box so I had to call the repair guy to come resolve it. After a long day of work and being stuck in the DC traffic, I didnt need anymore stresses but im pleased to say the repair and security staff (Hahn and Chris) did a great job of resolving my issues. Chris saw right through me that I was having a stressful day, so he recommended I try some breathing techniques and that I try dining at the Pinzimini and go for the salmon and to substitute the sides for sweet potato and grilled peach, as they are known to reduce stress. He was absolutely right; I felt so much better after eating down there.

Overall, while I think the the hotel itself is overpriced, I definitely love a hotel who's staff cares. I give my shoutouts to Yohanes, Hahn and Chris who made my stay worthwhile and I definitely plan on coming back.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Dear Ronald L,
Thank you for taking the time to review The Westin Arlington Gateway. I was so pleased to see that you experienced great customer service while here, particularly at the Front Desk and with Engineering. I have communicated your positive comments with the team. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future. Be inspired.
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

I've stayed at the Westin Arlington Gateway four times in the last several years, mainly to visit relatives. It is a fairly standard business hotel, situated about 2 blocks from the Ballston metro station on the Orange line. The metro will whisk you to downtown Washington, DC within 15 minutes.

The standard rooms are somewhat on the small side, but do include very comfortable "Heavenly beds." Housekeeping does a good job cleaning the room and restocking supplies. Bathrooms are a decent size, and include dual shower heads, which I had no use for. One gripe of mine is that they charge $8-$12 per day for internet use, which many hotels offer for free nowadays.

My main reason for selecting the Westin over the two others hotels nearby (Hilton and Holiday Inn) is that it is newer and has a good-sized pool. Unfortunately, the pool has limited weekday hours: open in the early morning and evenings, but all day on the weekends. The workout room next to the pool is also better than average, but they did remove some of the strength training equipment since my last visit.

They have an Italian restaurant restaurant off the lobby, but I've never tried it. The Ballston neighborhood has a ton of places to eat at within a few blocks of the hotel.

Overall, the Westin is a solid choice. The staff is professional and seem to take pride in their jobs. I've always stayed on the weekends, when the price averaged about $125 per night. However, it is not worth the $250 or more that they charge on weekdays.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Dear Johnnhog100,
Thank you for taking the time to review The Westin Arlington Gateway. I was pleased to see that you enjoyed our Heavenly Beds in addition to the other amenities that we offer here on property. We want our guests to leave feeling renewed and better than when they arrived, and I am glad that your stays with us have achieved this. We hope to welcome you back soon. Be well.
Roger Aberth

Been to The Westin Arlington Gateway? Share your experiences!