“excellent place at a good price” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Cyber Monday Exclusive
Ranked #29 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
tinton falls, nj
“excellent place at a good price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

as soon as you enter the place, you will feel happy that you chose this hotel. i can stop the review right here but have a couple of points to add. there is no free parking. $25/day. if you are there for the weekend/holidays, you can find several free spots on sunday/holiday on the road. Very close to DC and lots of neat places to eat closeby. The staff make you feel very welcome ( they open the doors for you, give special attention to kids ) Lobby is awesome. Room is great. Our room was very quiet and bed was very comfortable. Walls are pretty thin as in most hotels, so I guess we got lucky that none of the rooms nearby were occupied or they had silent guests as well. Everything looked brand new. We were not ready to leave the hotel when our vacation was done. What more can I say !

Room Tip: Do not choose a room near the elevators
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Roger A, General Manager at The Westin Arlington Gateway, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Dear kalla78,
Thank you for taking the time to review the Westin Arlington Gateway. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were able to enjoy the surrounding areas. I sincerely hope that you will return to our hotel if your travels bring you back to the area. Be well.
Roger Aberth

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Newtown, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012 via mobile

The good- you can get a great deal if you book far enough ahead, clean and nice lobby

The bad: access from street is difficult to navigate, rooms are a bit smaller than I am used to, concierge could only recommend chain type pubs to go to when we were looking for local flare

• Stayed August 2012
Dear BrianBucksCounty,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am sorry that your experience with our Concierge left a little to be desired, and rest assured that I have shared your feedback with our team. Should your travels bring you back this way, I sincerely hope you will consider staying with us again. Be inspired.
Southern NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

We booked a 3 night stay here for a mini vacation to the d.c. area. Booked the room through the starwood website and snagged a std 2 double room at the AAA rate of 116/night including valet parking. Everything from start to finish was excellent. We arrived early @ about 1PM on our check in day- no problem checking in early. The hotel is very convienient to the Ballston Metro stop and we were able to get from the hotel to the White House visitors gate in 25 minutes(we were almost late for our tour. Many of the negative comments from the other reviewers may indicate a lack of research or planning on their part and they are surprised when something is not how they expect. I have rarely stayed at a higher end hotel and gotten free wifi. Room service food is always expensive and usually lacking in quality (there is a starbucks in the lobby$15/ breakfast for3). The website clearly indicates there is only valet parking and it is $23/day. I felt the service at the hotel was very good- concierge and desk staff were very helpful and responsive to our needs, bell staff and valet was professional and prompt with the luggage. The hotel and our room was clean and well appointed- the shower was great. There was a minifridge/small pantry area in the room- very helpful as we brought water, snacks, etc and now had a place to store them. The beds were comfortable. Housekeeping was done daily by the time we returned to the room each day from touring d.c. (about 4pm ish). We used the pool and hot tub 1x without any issues. The hotel was very quiet at night- if there were other people in the next room I couldn't hear them. There were good restaurants within walking distance from the hotel but the great restaurants were 2 metro stops away at the Clarendon station- Liberty Tavern was fantastic (and kid friendly). Overall a great base to explore dc and arlington. I will stay here again when I return.

Room Tip: use the AAA rate that includes free parking(prepaid but worth it)
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Roger A, General Manager at The Westin Arlington Gateway, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Dear Foodie8349,
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. I am so delighted that you enjoyed the various amenities that the Westin Arlington Gateway provides. We sincerely look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future. Be well.
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012 via mobile

We have stayed there many times since it opens. It was excellent when it was just done. But it is not now. We recently stayed there for 3 night. The room is clean. However, when I got back around 9 pm, there is not valet person. And I have running around in the lobby to find someone. Basically, there is no service.

The room is basic and barely minimal. It seems like they are gears toward overnight traveler now.

I will not go back again since there are so many choices in the area now.

• Stayed August 2012
Dear ShanghaiKevin78,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Westin Arlington Gateway. I am sorry to hear that your visit was less than satisfactory. Please be assured that I have shared your comments with the team to ensure that a similar experience does not occur in the future in regards to the valet, as this is not our standard of service. We want our guests to leave feeling renewed and better than when they arrived, and I sincerely hope that you will give us another chance to prove this to you. Be inspired.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012 via mobile

A very nice hotel near the Ballston mall. This is a very safe neighborhood. Great staff at the front desk. There is a nice restaurant attached to the hotel. Plenty of food and activities located within a couple of blocks. The hotel is located close to the Metro station. Fifteen minutes and you can be in downtown DC or at the National Mall!

Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Roger A, General Manager at The Westin Arlington Gateway, responded to this review, August 15, 2012
Dear CardHound,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review the Westin Arlingto Gateway. We want our guests to leave feeling renewed and better than when they arrived, and I am so glad that you were able to experience that. Be well.

Rome, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

I went to the Westin Arlington Gateway for a business meeting. If it weren't for business, I'd have never chosen it.
Let me point that the hotel is well-furnished, very clean, common spaces are very fine, and its relatively well connected to the center of Washington (quite close to Ballston Metro Station, on the orange line). But, in my opinion, given the high fares which are charged for rooms, many expected details are missing.
First of all, they charge you for wireless connection in your room (10$ per day), so that if you do not want to pay you must go to the hall (where it's free). To me, this was a jurassic management, as even low-cost hotel/hostels are moving towards free wifi connection in rooms. If you consider that this resort is thought for businessmen, this sound even more ridicuolus.
The staff which I talked to (excepting Emily) is quite unpolite, every problem which you have seems to make them snort. At my check in, I was told my credit card wasn't working, asking me "what is this credit card?", the same card which I successfully used other 7 days, even in another hotel which I later moved to. When I suggested to try to swipe it in the correct direction, I was told that it was scratched and not working, and when I insisted, the waitress denied to try again. Luckily, I was traveling with a colleague which handed in its own card, and everything worked fine.

Most positive thing: there is a Starbucks in the lobby.

Overall, it looked like an "you are here for business and probably won't come back anymore approach, so who cares" approach. That's true: I won't come back anymore, as I didn't feel comfortable.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Dear Alessandro P,

I appreciate you taking your time to review the hotel. I am sorry that you encountered so many issues during your stay, and I ensure you that this is not our standard level of service. We do charge for internet due to the cost of providing high-speed service spanning throughout the hotel, but we do offer other options to offset this cost like the complimentary wireless in the lobby which you noted. We hope that you choose to give us another opportunity to surpass your expectations should your travels return you to the area. Be inspired.

Rochester, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

Recently went to Arlington, VA. Stayed at the Westin. It is a comfortable hotel. We were originally placed in a room right next to the elevator - the elevator door does chime each time it opens on your floor. Also, the sink made a loud gurgling noise before we even used it. This rooms did not have a safe. We requested a safe be placed in our room and since they were unable to do that, they helpfully moved our room and it was perfectly fine. Beds were heavenly comfortable with the nice sheet-blank-sheet. It was 102 degrees when we visited and we were thankful for the excellent air conditioning. The concierge was completely useless so go ahead and make your own reservations. She kept insisting that the Adams Family was playing at the Kennedy Center. I had already checked and knew that Jerry Seinfeld was playing while we were there. I requested a recommendation to a comedy club and she later sent up a sheet with information on free chamber music.....The pool area is old and in need of attention. The hot tub was ringed with mold. Restaurant/bar called Pinzimini in the lobby. Great for drinks or snacks. Bartender is very pleasant and helpful. Dinner was really marginal. My husband and son ordered rib eye steaks and we are all pretty sure that they received sirloin steaks. The maid kept our room clean. Our only complaint in this regard was that each day we received fewer towels until our last day, she left no bath towels at all and we had to go ask for some. When we asked, she kindly gave us towels.

Room Tip: Request a room away from the elevators.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear madreRochester,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I have communicated your concerns with the team to ensure that future guests will not encounter the same issues. We are delighted that you found comfort in our heavenly beds and hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel soon. Be well.

Roger Aberth

Been to The Westin Arlington Gateway? Share your experiences!