“Had a great stay!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #27 of 48 hotels in Arlington
Southern NJ
“Had a great stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

We booked a 3 night stay here for a mini vacation to the d.c. area. Booked the room through the starwood website and snagged a std 2 double room at the AAA rate of 116/night including valet parking. Everything from start to finish was excellent. We arrived early @ about 1PM on our check in day- no problem checking in early. The hotel is very convienient to the Ballston Metro stop and we were able to get from the hotel to the White House visitors gate in 25 minutes(we were almost late for our tour. Many of the negative comments from the other reviewers may indicate a lack of research or planning on their part and they are surprised when something is not how they expect. I have rarely stayed at a higher end hotel and gotten free wifi. Room service food is always expensive and usually lacking in quality (there is a starbucks in the lobby$15/ breakfast for3). The website clearly indicates there is only valet parking and it is $23/day. I felt the service at the hotel was very good- concierge and desk staff were very helpful and responsive to our needs, bell staff and valet was professional and prompt with the luggage. The hotel and our room was clean and well appointed- the shower was great. There was a minifridge/small pantry area in the room- very helpful as we brought water, snacks, etc and now had a place to store them. The beds were comfortable. Housekeeping was done daily by the time we returned to the room each day from touring d.c. (about 4pm ish). We used the pool and hot tub 1x without any issues. The hotel was very quiet at night- if there were other people in the next room I couldn't hear them. There were good restaurants within walking distance from the hotel but the great restaurants were 2 metro stops away at the Clarendon station- Liberty Tavern was fantastic (and kid friendly). Overall a great base to explore dc and arlington. I will stay here again when I return.

Room Tip: use the AAA rate that includes free parking(prepaid but worth it)
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Roger A, General Manager at The Westin Arlington Gateway, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Dear Foodie8349,
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. I am so delighted that you enjoyed the various amenities that the Westin Arlington Gateway provides. We sincerely look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future. Be well.

500 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012 via mobile

We have stayed there many times since it opens. It was excellent when it was just done. But it is not now. We recently stayed there for 3 night. The room is clean. However, when I got back around 9 pm, there is not valet person. And I have running around in the lobby to find someone. Basically, there is no service.

The room is basic and barely minimal. It seems like they are gears toward overnight traveler now.

I will not go back again since there are so many choices in the area now.

• Stayed August 2012
Dear ShanghaiKevin78,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Westin Arlington Gateway. I am sorry to hear that your visit was less than satisfactory. Please be assured that I have shared your comments with the team to ensure that a similar experience does not occur in the future in regards to the valet, as this is not our standard of service. We want our guests to leave feeling renewed and better than when they arrived, and I sincerely hope that you will give us another chance to prove this to you. Be inspired.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012 via mobile

A very nice hotel near the Ballston mall. This is a very safe neighborhood. Great staff at the front desk. There is a nice restaurant attached to the hotel. Plenty of food and activities located within a couple of blocks. The hotel is located close to the Metro station. Fifteen minutes and you can be in downtown DC or at the National Mall!

Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Roger A, General Manager at The Westin Arlington Gateway, responded to this review, August 15, 2012
Dear CardHound,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review the Westin Arlingto Gateway. We want our guests to leave feeling renewed and better than when they arrived, and I am so glad that you were able to experience that. Be well.

Rome, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

I went to the Westin Arlington Gateway for a business meeting. If it weren't for business, I'd have never chosen it.
Let me point that the hotel is well-furnished, very clean, common spaces are very fine, and its relatively well connected to the center of Washington (quite close to Ballston Metro Station, on the orange line). But, in my opinion, given the high fares which are charged for rooms, many expected details are missing.
First of all, they charge you for wireless connection in your room (10$ per day), so that if you do not want to pay you must go to the hall (where it's free). To me, this was a jurassic management, as even low-cost hotel/hostels are moving towards free wifi connection in rooms. If you consider that this resort is thought for businessmen, this sound even more ridicuolus.
The staff which I talked to (excepting Emily) is quite unpolite, every problem which you have seems to make them snort. At my check in, I was told my credit card wasn't working, asking me "what is this credit card?", the same card which I successfully used other 7 days, even in another hotel which I later moved to. When I suggested to try to swipe it in the correct direction, I was told that it was scratched and not working, and when I insisted, the waitress denied to try again. Luckily, I was traveling with a colleague which handed in its own card, and everything worked fine.

Most positive thing: there is a Starbucks in the lobby.

Overall, it looked like an "you are here for business and probably won't come back anymore approach, so who cares" approach. That's true: I won't come back anymore, as I didn't feel comfortable.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Dear Alessandro P,

I appreciate you taking your time to review the hotel. I am sorry that you encountered so many issues during your stay, and I ensure you that this is not our standard level of service. We do charge for internet due to the cost of providing high-speed service spanning throughout the hotel, but we do offer other options to offset this cost like the complimentary wireless in the lobby which you noted. We hope that you choose to give us another opportunity to surpass your expectations should your travels return you to the area. Be inspired.

Rochester, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

Recently went to Arlington, VA. Stayed at the Westin. It is a comfortable hotel. We were originally placed in a room right next to the elevator - the elevator door does chime each time it opens on your floor. Also, the sink made a loud gurgling noise before we even used it. This rooms did not have a safe. We requested a safe be placed in our room and since they were unable to do that, they helpfully moved our room and it was perfectly fine. Beds were heavenly comfortable with the nice sheet-blank-sheet. It was 102 degrees when we visited and we were thankful for the excellent air conditioning. The concierge was completely useless so go ahead and make your own reservations. She kept insisting that the Adams Family was playing at the Kennedy Center. I had already checked and knew that Jerry Seinfeld was playing while we were there. I requested a recommendation to a comedy club and she later sent up a sheet with information on free chamber music.....The pool area is old and in need of attention. The hot tub was ringed with mold. Restaurant/bar called Pinzimini in the lobby. Great for drinks or snacks. Bartender is very pleasant and helpful. Dinner was really marginal. My husband and son ordered rib eye steaks and we are all pretty sure that they received sirloin steaks. The maid kept our room clean. Our only complaint in this regard was that each day we received fewer towels until our last day, she left no bath towels at all and we had to go ask for some. When we asked, she kindly gave us towels.

Room Tip: Request a room away from the elevators.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear madreRochester,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I have communicated your concerns with the team to ensure that future guests will not encounter the same issues. We are delighted that you found comfort in our heavenly beds and hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel soon. Be well.

Pasadena, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

Bottom Line: Would not stay here again. Good location and reasonably comfortable rooms, but poorly trained and incompetent staff.

Pros:
1. They have a nice $5/day voucher program if you decline housekeeping - you can redeem it at the hotel restaurant, and you can combine them (so if you decline 4 days of housekeeping, it's $20). It's nice to see a hotel actually caring about the environment.
2. Starbucks in the lobby is convenient -- there's a long line in the mornings, but it moves quickly. (Note that vouchers are not redeemable at Starbucks.)
3. Certain front desk staff members were the exception to the overwhelming incompetence at this hotel and were exceptionally nice. A woman at the front desk named Liz and a man in the parking garage named Akame (?? sp?) were great.
4. Room was clean.
5. Bed was pretty comfortable.
6. Convenient location - near NSF etc. and a <10 minute walk to a metro stop (Ballston).

Cons:
Biggest con was the incompetence of the staff. Specific examples follow.
1. Internet did not work, which is a major problem for a business hotel. I called the IT center 3 times - they kept saying they would fix it and call me back within the hour, and they never did either - fix it or call me back. I called the concierge to have her connect me to IT -- she said she would call IT and then call me back to connect me -- she never called back either.
2. In room -- Bedside phone was broken. Shower rack was broken. Tub plug was broken.
3. Restaurant in hotel lobby was extraordinarily slow - we tried to eat a business lunch there and ordered the "quick" lunch. It took 50 minutes just to bring out our food, and the waiter never checked on us. When my husband joined me after the conference, we tried to get snacks there in the afternoon and the wait staff never came over to take our order, so after 40 minutes of waiting I went to the bar and ordered us drinks and snacks. It took another ~20 minutes for those to come (the restaurant was totally empty, so it wasn't a busy time).
4. Our reservations were linked - I was there on business for three days, and then my family joined me for three more days - and we had to tell the front desk staff five separate times about this (twice on the phone - three times there) for it to finally be put into the computer.
5. When we left, the valet was too lazy to go get our car (although we were carrying a lot of bags, had a baby with us, and had paid $23/day for valet parking). So he gave us the keys and told us to figure it out. The parking garage is actually really confusing, and we ended up at the wrong exit, had to backtrack, and eventually got help from another guy (one of the valet guys was quite good -- the skinnier one whose name was something like Akame) who showed us that in order to leave the garage, you have to go up a ramp that says "do not enter."

Overall, it's "almost" a Westin. Like my husband said, all the nice trappings are there, but the staff has absolutely no idea what they're doing.

Room Tip: Pool and gym are on the third floor so you may want to avoid that area (lots of hall traffic).
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Roger A, General Manager at The Westin Arlington Gateway, responded to this review, August 9, 2012
Dear MPecas,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am sorry to hear your recent stay with us was less than satisfactory. I sincerely apologize for the customer service shortfalls that you experienced and can assure you that this is not our standard level of service. I have shared your comments with our team so that we may be able to better serve our guests going forward. Be well.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

We stayed one night at this hotel on a long road trip. The hotel was a little hard to find (coming from DC) but once we arrived, it was beautiful. The staff was very nice and efficient. Parking was rather expensive ($23+) for a night, and it is valet-only. The room was very clean, large, and the beds were awesome! We had a clogged toilet when we first arrived, and after a call to the front desk, we had a maintenance person at our door in minutes. Shop around for rates, I think we did very well on Expedia.

Room Tip: We were on the 9th floor, and there was no noise.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear John JohnGinGA,
Thank you for your review. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and that our maintenance team was able to assist you in a speedy manner. We do charge for parking due to the high costs associated with our ideal location, while also keeping our pricing in line with other properties in the area. We hope that you choose to stay with us again soon, should your travels bring you this way. Be Inspired.

Roger Aberth

Been to The Westin Arlington Gateway? Share your experiences!