“Westin Arlington Gateway: A List of Pros and Cons” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #28 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
Pasadena, CA
“Westin Arlington Gateway: A List of Pros and Cons”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

Bottom Line: Would not stay here again. Good location and reasonably comfortable rooms, but poorly trained and incompetent staff.

Pros:
1. They have a nice $5/day voucher program if you decline housekeeping - you can redeem it at the hotel restaurant, and you can combine them (so if you decline 4 days of housekeeping, it's $20). It's nice to see a hotel actually caring about the environment.
2. Starbucks in the lobby is convenient -- there's a long line in the mornings, but it moves quickly. (Note that vouchers are not redeemable at Starbucks.)
3. Certain front desk staff members were the exception to the overwhelming incompetence at this hotel and were exceptionally nice. A woman at the front desk named Liz and a man in the parking garage named Akame (?? sp?) were great.
4. Room was clean.
5. Bed was pretty comfortable.
6. Convenient location - near NSF etc. and a <10 minute walk to a metro stop (Ballston).

Cons:
Biggest con was the incompetence of the staff. Specific examples follow.
1. Internet did not work, which is a major problem for a business hotel. I called the IT center 3 times - they kept saying they would fix it and call me back within the hour, and they never did either - fix it or call me back. I called the concierge to have her connect me to IT -- she said she would call IT and then call me back to connect me -- she never called back either.
2. In room -- Bedside phone was broken. Shower rack was broken. Tub plug was broken.
3. Restaurant in hotel lobby was extraordinarily slow - we tried to eat a business lunch there and ordered the "quick" lunch. It took 50 minutes just to bring out our food, and the waiter never checked on us. When my husband joined me after the conference, we tried to get snacks there in the afternoon and the wait staff never came over to take our order, so after 40 minutes of waiting I went to the bar and ordered us drinks and snacks. It took another ~20 minutes for those to come (the restaurant was totally empty, so it wasn't a busy time).
4. Our reservations were linked - I was there on business for three days, and then my family joined me for three more days - and we had to tell the front desk staff five separate times about this (twice on the phone - three times there) for it to finally be put into the computer.
5. When we left, the valet was too lazy to go get our car (although we were carrying a lot of bags, had a baby with us, and had paid $23/day for valet parking). So he gave us the keys and told us to figure it out. The parking garage is actually really confusing, and we ended up at the wrong exit, had to backtrack, and eventually got help from another guy (one of the valet guys was quite good -- the skinnier one whose name was something like Akame) who showed us that in order to leave the garage, you have to go up a ramp that says "do not enter."

Overall, it's "almost" a Westin. Like my husband said, all the nice trappings are there, but the staff has absolutely no idea what they're doing.

Room Tip: Pool and gym are on the third floor so you may want to avoid that area (lots of hall traffic).
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Roger A, General Manager at The Westin Arlington Gateway, responded to this review, August 9, 2012
Dear MPecas,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am sorry to hear your recent stay with us was less than satisfactory. I sincerely apologize for the customer service shortfalls that you experienced and can assure you that this is not our standard level of service. I have shared your comments with our team so that we may be able to better serve our guests going forward. Be well.

Roger Aberth

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

We stayed one night at this hotel on a long road trip. The hotel was a little hard to find (coming from DC) but once we arrived, it was beautiful. The staff was very nice and efficient. Parking was rather expensive ($23+) for a night, and it is valet-only. The room was very clean, large, and the beds were awesome! We had a clogged toilet when we first arrived, and after a call to the front desk, we had a maintenance person at our door in minutes. Shop around for rates, I think we did very well on Expedia.

Room Tip: We were on the 9th floor, and there was no noise.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear John JohnGinGA,
Thank you for your review. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and that our maintenance team was able to assist you in a speedy manner. We do charge for parking due to the high costs associated with our ideal location, while also keeping our pricing in line with other properties in the area. We hope that you choose to stay with us again soon, should your travels bring you this way. Be Inspired.

richmond va
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

Clean and comfortable room, accommodating and friendly staff, and very close to Ballston metro for getting into DC. Many good restaurants in the immediate vicinity. Valet parking is required and that was kind of the only drawback. Really enjoyed our stay here and would highly recommend.

• Stayed June 2012
Roger A, General Manager at The Westin Arlington Gateway, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
Dear VAVoyage,

Thank you for postingyour feedback on your recent stay. We are delighted that you enjoyed our team and hotel, and everything the local area has to offer. We hope to see you again soon. Be Inspired.

Roger Aberh
Aurora, ON
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

I have the honour of attending the International AIDS Conference, and needed housing for a week. My coordinator booked this room for me, but I had no expectations. Got a beautiful room on the 11th floor, huge windows, a king sized bed (a bit lonely for one person...) lovely and accomodating staff, an EXCELLENT breakfast, and I highly recommend the egg white fritatta, with a side of the (yes!) really fresh berries, great brain power food. This hotel is 1/2 a block from the METRO, so easy, and WOW, who knew Washington DC was so incredibly beautiful.
Clean, again very friendly and helpful people, the memorials are breath-taking and super well maintained. Every where you can recycle your paper, bottles and cans. I will definately be back on my own to do an intensive tour of the extraordinary museums. Very impressive, don't miss this experience!! The only thing I would suggest is for the hotel to offer basic internet/WIFI in the rooms, although they do offer complimentary 45 minute per use free computers in the lobby and WIFI in thelobby area.

Room Tip: I had 1128, great!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Dear swanganz100,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel. Our goal is for our guests to leave feeling renewed and better than they did when they arrived, and I am happy that we achieved this on your recent visit. We hope to welcome you back soon. Be well.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

We stayed for three nights and booked over Hotwire.com, where the hotel has excellent reviews. Of course, the hotel is worth the 4 star rating on Hotwire. However, when coming by car, one has to add an additional 23-25$ per night for the valet parking, since there is nearly no alternative to the hotel's parking lot. However, we managed to park in the nearby mall parking, which costs 10$ per day, which makes you save quite a few bucks after a few days!
We were not very happy with the staff.
Upon arrival, we were pretty tired from driving straight from Toronto down to Washington.
As we settled in the room, we realized that the TV set was without power. So we called the reception. The lady apologized and promised to send an engineer. After an hour without anything happening, I called again and the receptionist told me she simply forgot.
After the engineer arrived, he realized that the power cable was unplugged on the TV set side of the cable, being invisible to me (actually an engineer) since the cable inlet is inside a cover.

On the first day, housecleaning knocked at 8:30, when we weren't ready yet. However, it is usual that housecleaning comes later in that case. When we came back in the afternoon at 5 p.m., we were surprised our room hadn't been cleaned. Again, we told the receptionist. As a result, we had to wait outside our room for more than one hour before housekeeping managed to come and clean the room.
Another comment: the temperature in the lobby was around 62°F, with 100°F outside and power outages throughout the D.C. area. This is an incredible waste of power! It is totally sufficient to have a decent 70F in the lobby...

I expect more than that from a hotel of this class.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Filexx,
Thank you for reviewing our hotel. We sincerely apologize for the service issues that you experienced throughout your stay, as well as the maintenance issues. Thank you for bringing these matters to our attention, as will help us to better serve our future guests. Take Comfort.

Bethlehem
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

I booked a 3-adults room for two nights and checked in at night on July 20th. However, when I arrived, I was given a king room and was told that there is no available two-beds room. Obviously, the max accommodation of the king room is 2 adults. Everything in it is two sets and the bed is not big enough for 3 adults. When I complained this to the front desk, he gave me a comforter and asked me to sleep on the floor. When I asked him to give me another room, he said no two-bed room were available, and not even for the next day. I mean, what kind of business is this? I paid for a 3-adults room, and then you tell me you don't have such a room? Even though I got a traditional queen room from another front desk the next day, the 1st night was a terrible experience.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Roger A, General Manager at The Westin Arlington Gateway, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
Dear Susan W,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on you recent experience with us. I am sorry to hear that your recent experience with us was less than satisfactory. I have addressed this issue with our team and can assure you that this is not our usual standard of service. We want our guests to depart feeling renewed, and feeling better than when they arrived and I am sorry we did not achieve this on your visit. I encourage you to visit us again in the future. Be Inspired.

Florence, SC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

This is a very good hotel in the Ballston area of Arlington. Ballston seems to be an up and coming neighborhood in the DC area. There is a dated, but adequate mall very close and some good restaurants as well. Ballston is not a hot spot of DC, but it is a nice area. We had to do a little more walking than I would have liked (two long blocks to the Metro). But if you are in DC for a get-away, you are walking miles a day anyway.

The hotel is very clean. The room, lobby and exercise-pool area were all very clean. No complaints with cleanliness.

The staff are friendly and helpful. They are not 5 star, but are all kind and polite. Obviously, this is a Westin and not a Four Seasons.

The rooms are spacious and the bathrooms adequate. The two-headed showers are a nice touch. The heavenly beds are hard to beat. The rooms have cool gray tone which is nice after a hot summer day of seeing the sights. They have small refridgerators which is a nice touch. My only complaint with the room are the televisions. They only ten channels at a maximum (and most of them are duplicates of each other- three CNN's, three ESPN's, and three NBC's). The only channel my wife wanted to watch (HGTV) had no sound. They do have in-room movies for the "low price" of $11.99. In the day of Netflix and Redbox, $11.99 movies are ridiculous!

Overall, it was nice stay. Next time I am in town to see Washington DC, though, I will probably spend a little more and move into town.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear RGSSC,

Thank you for sharing your feedback concerning your recent stay. We are delighted that you were able to take advantage of our convenient location and see all that the area has to offer. We apologize that your television was not working properly, as our guest room TV’s have been loaded with nearly 40 different channels. We strongly encourage you to bring any concerns to the attention of our team while you are with us so that we may address them immediately. We hope to see you again in the future. Be Well.

Roger Aberth

Been to The Westin Arlington Gateway? Share your experiences!