“Used to be a top property but now has a bunch of rough edges” 3 of 5 stars

Special Deal
Complimentary Breakfast
Ranked #30 of 47 hotels in Arlington
southern california
“Used to be a top property but now has a bunch of rough edges”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

Stayed here two nights on business. Had a lot of small problems which they tried hard to fix but these should not have been there in the first place. Here is a summary of the problems and fixes:

(a) my original room had no working AC. When I called down from the room they never answered the phone I had to go down in person. The fix: they gave me a new room - a two room suite which was nice.
(b) deadbolt did not work on the door of my new room. Had to get engineering up to fix that late at night.
(c) Cleanliness of the suite was sub-par. Empty water bottle under the credenza that stayed there the entire time despite my bringing it to the attention of the manager on the phone. Rings on the furniture especially the tables next to the bed. Rings were easily removed with a damp cloth but I did not pay to have to clean up after the previous guest. Dirt on the bathroom floor. Spots on the carpet.
(d) Room service - they did not know what sort of salad dressing was available and when I asked for something they said sure and then brought something else. I had to send them down again for a different dressing.
(e) Whenever I called "service express" about half the time no one picked up the phone for a while - I'd say like 5 minutes I just let it ring on speaker phone. After several rounds of this I told them they should rename it "service distress".
(f) I did get a free room service breakfast for all the trouble I had - so that was a good thing, along with the suite.

However as a busy business traveler getting in late I would prefer the original room to be in perfect working order so I could sleep immediately rather than having to dicker around with all these issues but end up in a suite. I was choosing between the Hilton and the Westin and next time I may go back to the Hilton and see how they are doing these days.

Room Tip: If you find problems with your room ask for another and suggest they consider you for an upgrade. T...

531 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Fort Collins, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

$500 for two nights, and I had to pay for Internet and breakfast. The room was comfy but nothing special. The staff was fine, the location was good. But the price was pretty high for OK, especially since I had to pay for extras.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Roger A, General Manager at The Westin Arlington Gateway, responded to this review, June 1, 2012
Dear Brian J,
Thank you for your review of our hotel. We regret that we were not able to offer you a refreshing and memorable experience during your recent stay with us. Although we do charge for internet service in our guestrooms due to the high cost associated with providing fast connections spanning throughout the entire hotel, we do offer complimentary wi-fi in the lobby and in Starbucks. We hope that you choose to stay with us again soon. Take comfort.
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012 via mobile

The good
-Great location with plenty of touristy bars/restaurants around
-Nice hotel, big rooms, basic gym and a decent pool

The not so good
-The hotel restaurant advertises dollar oyster on Friday nights. Unfortunately, we made the mistake of actually believing he ad (I know, our fault completely) so we were actually looking forward to it. Needless to say, when we get there at the appropriate time, the bartended off handedly says that the oysters were bad so it was cancelled. Thanks for the early notice...not! (That was a good example of a "not" joke by the way). At best, its sloppy and poor restaurant etiquette. At worst, its bait and switch.

The bad
-An empty box of honey nut Cheerios was waiting for us when we got into the room. Are you serious?!
-while pulling out of the parking garage (which is valet only), a valet almost hit us (missed by a few inches) because he was driving someone else's car at 100 MPH while rounding a blind corner. When I spoke to the hotel about my near death experience, the clerk was sweet enough to shrug her shoulders and say that the valet is run by a third party company before recommending other places where I could park. Glad to see that the West in cares so much about its patrons and their vehicles.
-pulled into the valet area at 1 am only to find the valet stand empty. After waiting a few minutes we went inside and the hotel personnel asked that we leave the car keys with them and that they will take care of it. Yes, clearly forcing your guests to use an abysmal valet service is a great great idea...not! (I just used the "not"joke again).

Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Dear ChappyTravels11,
Thank you for staying with us and for your detailed review. We apologize for the misleading advertisement for the restaurant, but assure you it was not intentional or meant as a bait and switch. We have discussed with our restaurant team about being more proactive in communicating if there is something no longer available to our guests and about offering alternatives when that does happen. There are several other great dinner offers now available in Pinzimini including Steak night which includes your choice of our delicious ribeye or filet, Caesar salad and dessert for only $35.00. The empty box of Cheerios and valet service are certainly unacceptable and are we are very sorry you had to experience both of those. We have taken your comments very seriously as cleanliness and guest safety are very important to the experience we provide. We are glad to hear you were able to take advantage of our location and big, comfortable rooms and hope you give our hotel another chance in the future. Be Well.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

We were in town visiting friends that already had a house full of people so we stayed here for 3 nights. We were hardly ever in the hotel, but when we were it was enjoyable. We traveled with our 2 year old and when I inquired about bed rails to keep her from rolling out of bed they looked at me like I had three heads! Really, some hotels do provide these! No big deal, we just pushed a bed up against the wall, but the reaction to the question was pretty funny. They woman that helped us into the hotel and up to the room was so friendly and greeted us warmly for the rest of our stay.

Rooms were clean and spacious and for the price I feel that the overall room and location was a great value. My only problem was the valet parking. It wasn't an issue at all that valet was the only option, as we would have valeted regardless, but the valet is just a parking lot in the basement and I would say 50% of the time or more I would get down there and they would just hand you the keys and point to where your car was. I thought the price was a little steep for essentially only actually valeting you when arriving to the hotel and not leaving, it wasn't a deal breaker, just seemed strange.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Dear SunDrea,
We are happy to hear about your stay at our hotel with your family and that you felt the value in the experience we offer. Your feedback on bed rails is great and we have shared this with our team in order to better accommodate families with small children. We hope you and your family visit us again in the future! Be Inspired.
Tuckerton, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

Very pleased with my stay the room service staff was very nice as well as the front desk. Only thing is for a four star hotel i was expecting a little more of the room. We had a king size bed with a view of Glebe st. it was nice also very qiuet, also the hotel staff was very helpful with providing me a refrigerator for my little ones milk. I would stay again and recommend my friends as well. Oh and there is a mall right around the corner as well as several restauraunts and the drive to the monuments in DC was less than 10 min. away.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Dear Scooby454,
Thank you for your review and for your recommendation—we greatly appreciate it! We are delighted that you found our room service and front desks associates helpful and nice as they are an integral part of the Westin service we provide. Our associates look forward to welcoming you back in the future! Be Inspired.
California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

Well, let's see my stay began with politely asking about the local restaurants. The desk worker kindly directed me to the concierge telling me, he will know, I just don't eat in the area. Fair enough, I walk over and ask the concierge who handed me a list. I inquired, do you have any recommendations? He basically says they are all good choose whatever you like. Okay! Got it. Thanks for the help monsieur! So off to the room -- nice long black hair on the bathroom floor, a towel that is a bit stained--looks like rust, a small whole in the bedspread duvet, the sign for deciding to green lodged in the TV frame. Yes, this was not what I expected from what's supposed to be a higher end hotel. I decided to make use of the go green card from the TV and placed it on my door. Later that day I received a $5 coupon for any restaurant in the hotel. Well, all except Starbucks, right! That's not cool.

Room Tip: Get one away from the elevators, at least I think that's what made the weird noise that sounded...
Dear rheesa,
We are sorry to hear about your experience and apologize for the service you received. Your experience is not typical or up to our standards of service. We have shared your feedback with our team and have discussed ways we can proactively offer better service in the future. We also apologize for the appearance of your room which was unacceptable and far from our clean, crisp, and comfortable Westin standards we strive to adhere to throughout the hotel. We greatly appreciate your feedback and hope you give our hotel another chance in the future. Be Well.
australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for 4 nites. The rooms were a great size , beds were superb , room clean and well arranged. Quiet nites at hotel no street noise or issues.

Close to balls ton mall for shopping and metro within 5 min walk. Took 20 minutes to get to cente of city for sights etc. bit expensive the metro fares not having the same sort if system ad NYC does so it can cost more for less travel. Just put say 40 on the card and it will get you through.

The staff and service was excellent but having to pay 9.95 for wifi in your room is a bit rude these days. You can use it for free on Lobby floor.

Overall it is a well oiled machine run by professionals who get the job done.

• Stayed May 2012
Dear parraboy,
We are delighted to hear you enjoyed our Heavenly Bed and comfortable rooms! Thank you for your detailed description of our location. The metro does operate differently in DC with varying prices depending on the station you are trying to get to instead of a flat rate as in other cities like New York. We recommend planning your metro trips ahead of time with our concierge or by visiting www.wmata.com/rider_tools/tripplanner . Thank you for your review and we hope you choose to stay with us again. Take Comfort.

Been to The Westin Arlington Gateway? Share your experiences!