“Good choice outside downtown” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #28 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
New York City, New York
“Good choice outside downtown”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

I stayed there one night over weekend. The hotel is not in downtown but conveniently located near a Metro Station (Ballston - MU). It is about 5 mins away from the station. The room is very clean. The bed is comfortable, though personally I prefer a firmer bed. The only disappointment is that when I asked for slippers, they were out of stock. Quite shocked that slippers are out of stock in a decent hotel. Having said that, the staff are very friendly and helpful. If staying in downtown is not a must, I would highly recommend this hotel. Most likely, I will stay there when I visit DC next time. There is also free wi-fi in the room - a BIG plus!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Arlington, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

This review is for booking only. After numerous phone calls, frustration, and worry, David at the Westin Ballston turned this nightmare booking around in 5 minutes. He was extremely positive and helpful. Upgrading my reservation and reassuring me that things would go as planned. In the future I will avoid the 800 line and go straight to David.

Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2012

Our stay was just perfect. Staff were super friendly starting from the doorman to bellman who assisted us with our luggage. When the manager (I believe his name is Stefan) knew that it was our anniversary he upgraded us to a suite and sent us amenity. The front desk staff made us feel so welcome and we never wanted to leave. Food was great and the room was very clean. We will be back for sure for our next trip to DC. Keep on the excellent service..Thank you for making our stay very special and memorable.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
TheWestinArlington, Manager at The Westin Arlington Gateway, responded to this review, March 26, 2012
Dear Hamdy H,

Thank you for choosing to celebrate your anniversary at our hotel and we are glad we could assist in making it special! We never wanted you to leave either and look forward to your next trip to Washington DC! Be Well.
Bloomington IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2012

This was my third visit to the Westin Gateway in Arlington VA. I continue to find the hotel comfortable and classy and will return again when I'm in the area. It is convenient to the Metro and any number of nice casual restaurants. The staff at the Westin is friendly and well-trained. I have never met a staff member who didn't thoroughly know his or her job. The only downsides I see with this hotel are its price and the age of some of the furniture which needs refinishing or replacing.

Dear nrstycz,
We greatly appreciate your loyalty and thank you for your review! We are happy to hear you consistently find our hotel comfortable and staff knowledgeable. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to make your stay more refreshing and we hope you continue to return to our hotel. Be Inspired.
kansas city
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2012

Stayed here as a family of 4 visiting DC. Had no major issues with the hotel whatsoever - got a decent rate via hotwire. Metro station about 3-4 blocks away - plenty of restaurants / shopping nearby. If you want a hotel in this area closer to the metro, the hilton is pretty much AT the ballston-mu stop.

Fitness center was clean, modern and well equipped. Room amenities modern as well. Internet is $9.95 a day (looking forward to the day when 4 star hotels provide this for free like the two and three stars do!)

Only thing we found confusing was the computers in the lobby - they said registered guests could use them but we never figured out how to get signed on (was not concerned enough to go ask the desk). If you plan to use them, you might ask about it upon checking in.

For what its worth - there were almost ALWAYS cabs at the entrance to the hotel. If not, the bellman would get you one.

Dear SevenCostanza,
We are glad to hear our hotel met your expectations and hope you and your family had an uplifting time in Washington DC. Thank you for your detailed description of the hotel and surrounding area. This year we refreshed our WESTINWORKOUT fitness center with state of the art equipment, organic materials, and other details to enable you to stay fit and balanced while you travel. Our guests can sign on to the computers in the lobby through an access code given out by our concierge and it allows you to use the internet and print up to 5 pages. We would be delighted to have you stay with us again and please let us know if there is anything we can do to make your experience more enjoyable in the future. Be Well.
Istanbul / Turkey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

We spent 2 nights at this hotel while we were visiting Washington DC for the first time. The hotel is very close to the main attractions in the city by a short car ride. Some nice restaurants such as Va Piano, Melting Pot are within walking distance. It has a nice lobby with a Starbucks, the rooms are big enough, clean and comfortable. Since I was traveling with a baby, the hotel met all my expectations in terms of hygiene and I would definitely stay there again during my next visit.

What I don't like is the expensive valet parking although the parking area seemed to be big enough for self parking and secondly the high costs for WIFI which I don't understand why the hotels are still charging for such a basic service. It requires such a cheap investment and reasonable costs with today's opportunities. I'm sorry but I don't buy the explanation of charging these amounts due to the costs associated with offering these services at the ideal location.

Dear cerise77,
Thank you for your review! We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your first stay in the Washington DC area and that our hotel met your expectations for cleanliness. We charge for internet in the guest rooms due to the cost of providing reliable connections to hundreds of guests at many different access points spanning the hotel. We have also recently made a significant investment in upgrading our internet services in order to provide faster service. We hope you return to the area with your family soon and choose to stay with us again. Be Inspired.
Lyndhurst, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

I am still at the Westin and was only scheduled to stay for one night. Thus far:

1. One phone was not working in the room and it was late at night when I found out because it was the phone next to the bed. So there goes a wake up cal.
2. When I woke up I went to use the other phone and realized that now this one did not work - hence I had no phone to call the front desk for a taxi.
3. When I went downstairs to schedule a taxi pickup, there was nobody at the front desk for five minutes - others were with me wondering the same thing.
4. When I was asked to schedule a taxi pickup, they told me "there are always taxis outside" - surprise surprise there are none.
5. You cannot access the refrigerator unless you have a key which they do not tell you about at check-in.

Hotel is physically nice but its service is terrible. I will NEVER stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Dear chrisbro622,

We sincerely apologize for the phone in your room and for your experience trying to get a taxi. We regularly check our phones for functionality, but issues do arise and we encourage you to let any of our associates know in the future so we can fix the issue for you. We usually have multiple taxis waiting and arriving regularly at our hotel, but we certainly should have called a taxi for you if there were none available. Finally, we do not have refrigerators in our guest rooms, but do have them available upon request. Thank you for your feedback which we have shared with our team in order to better serve our guests in the future. We hope you consider staying with us again. Be Well.

Been to The Westin Arlington Gateway? Share your experiences!