“Heavenly Bed, no free parking.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Cyber Monday Exclusive
Ranked #29 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
New York
“Heavenly Bed, no free parking.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

First off, we used this hotel as a point to see D.C and Manassas. I can't tell you very much about the surrounding area. There's no free parking. I'd like to give it an "Average" rating but I realize that it may be unrealistic to expect free parking. There are ample metered spots on the street. [2 hour parking, 8am - 6pm. NOTE: The meters state that prepayment is allowed. I'm not sure, but you may be able to pay after 6pm for the morning hours of 8a-10am. Try it out.] Other than that it is a nice hotel. We were greeted by hot cider and fresh apples. The staff was very helpful, especially when we requested to be changed from an unpleasant room. The Heavenly Bed was just that. Between it and the black-out drapes we almost slept an entire day away. The minibars have been emptied due to a 'green' initiative by the hotel. They have taken to offering incentives for water conservation. For every day you opt out of housekeeping services the hotel will give you $5 By car, the hotel is twenty minutes from the sights in Washington D.C, around thirty minutes from the Manassas Battleground and thirty minutes from Dulles International. If you like being able to access an inexpensive breakfast cheaply you're in luck as there is a Starbucks attached to the lobby.

Room Tip: The club floor lounge is only stocked during the week.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
btriplett801, Manager at The Westin Arlington Gateway, responded to this review, January 28, 2012
Dear kdowell,
We are delighted you were able to take advantage of our location, truly a gateway to D.C. and the surrounding area. Our wonderful location does entail a charge for parking in the on-site garage with in and out privileges that allow your experience to be carefree and efficient. Thank you for reviewing our Make a Green Choice Program which offers a $5 voucher at our participating food and beverage outlets or 500 Starpoints in our SPG loyalty program for choosing to help preserve our environment. We hope you choose to experience our Heavenly Bed and unique location again soon! Be Inspired.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Milford, Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

Though the room was nice and the staff courteous, we had to call multiple times because we had no hot water. Once they told us it was a capacity problem, and the next time that one of the boilers was turned off. Seriously? On New Year's Eve????? They did move us to a new room, but there was never an offer to comp even parking or a meal. Return trip? Never again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
TheWestinArlington, Manager at The Westin Arlington Gateway, responded to this review, January 11, 2012
Dear AJthedog,
We sincerely apologize for the unforeseen issue we had with our water heating equipment and for any inconvenience it caused. Unfortunately in these unexpected situations, it does take us some time to pinpoint the exact issue and we strive to keep our guests as updated as possible with information as we receive it. We have since updated and refreshed the equipment to ensure that issue does not happen again in the future and thank you for your feedback. We hope the room move our staff assisted you with allowed you to enjoy the holiday and wish you and your family all the best in the new year. We also hope you reconsider returning to our hotel and assure you we will do everything we can to make your stay more refreshing and uplifting. Be Well.
Hartford, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2011

My opinion of this place might be a little lower if I had paid full price, but I got the room for a significant discount off the regular rate. The hotel is in a convenient location, two blocks from the metro and a mall. The overall feeling of the Hotel is classy: nice lobby with free hot cider, apples, and newspapers, candles in the evening, etc. The front desk and other employees in the lobby were very nice. But at first, the desk clerk tried to assign us to the third floor, which is the pool and exercise room floor. My wife wisely said no way, and we ended up on the 12th floor, with a nice view, and which is much quieter - except for the heating system, which cycled on and off. Since the chair for watching TV was right in front of it, I had to turn the TV volume up every time the heat came on. Our room was comfortable, and the bathroom was nicely done. However, on the 2nd and 3rd day, I had to run the bathtub water for several minutes before it got warm, and it never really got hot. I took a shower, but my wife said it was too cold.
The in-room coffee is Starbucks, so it was better than usual. Two other negatives: 1) $22 for parking is way too much, IMO. 2) $10/day for internet, when it's free at other, less expensive hotels I have stayed at, just seems chintzy. But we parked at the mall, which is $8/day, and is open 24 hrs. Also, you can use the Internet for free in the lobby.
I thought that the hallways were kind of dingy, and even though the entire place is supposed to be smoke-free, the hall smelled of smoke, perhaps because some members of the cleaning crew were smokers.
The pool is large, and the water was nice and warm in December. The whole pool is 31/2 feet deep. However, I couldn't lie on a chaise and relax after my swim, because the room was too cold. The lifeguard had propped open an outside door "because of the chlorine fumes". Also, the pool is closed from 10 am - 4 pm, so if you are staying there with family for several nights, you won't be able to use it during the day.
One other thing: I went down to the bar and ordered a Margarita. It was the smallest and weakest Margarita I have ever had, and It was almost $9 w/o tip.

Room Tip: see above re: the 3rd floor.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
TheWestinArlington, Manager at The Westin Arlington Gateway, responded to this review, January 18, 2012
Dear Bob G,

We appreciate your feedback and apologize for the water temperature and unsatisfactory margarita. We did experience an unforeseen issue with our water heating equipment that has now been refreshed and resolved. We are delighted to hear your enjoyed our location, relaxing lobby, and welcoming staff! Thank you for the room tip and we hope you choose to stay with us again in the future. Be Inspired.
Chapel Hill, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

Booked for <$90/night by paying in advance and the hotel is in a good location. These are the most remarkable comments about my stay while visiting family.

Westin Arlington Gateway is located on a busy, 4-6 lane road across from lots of building construction...yet an easy walk 2 blocks to the Ballston mall/metro stop. Lobby smelled like eggs/sulfur. Room on the 11th floor was nicely appointed and had a great view of the new/old Arlington skylines. Bed was not the least bit heavenly, as I've had better and more comfortable nights sleep at other Westin's. Road noise was less problematic, compared to the snoring guest next door (thin walls). Staff at the front desk were pleasant and addressed questions adequately.

Parking was my biggest disappointment. Given the "city" location, the pricing makes sense. But any guests using their car during the day may find better alternatives to paying $22 daily for valet-only parking. Don't let the front desk's advice fool you: I saved at least $36 by parking on the street just around the corner from the hotel during my 2.5 day stay.

Room Tip: Want a view? Ask for a room facing Glebe Rd, but beware as Glebe is a busy road. 11th floor is nice...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear whenthemoodstrikes,
We are glad to hear you enjoyed the location and that our front desk was able to move you to a relaxing room with a great view! There are definitely alternatives for parking near our hotel and thank you for the room tip. However, we can assure you that we negotiate the best price possible for covered parking with in and out privileges at the parking garage on site. Our staff will be able to assist you in finding the other options and any other questions you have about our ideal location. We hope you choose to stay with us again and thank you for the review! Be Inspired.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2011

We check in with my family almost late.. When we saw the rooms its so nice and clean. We do not want to leave the hotel every staff is so good!!!

Dear Samantha B,
Thank you for your review and we are glad you enjoyed our refreshing rooms and friendly staff! We hope you to see you and your family again in the future! Be Well.
raleigh,nc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011

I was able to book my stay for less than $100 / night which is fantastic. Parking is between $23 - $26 dollars which I felt fine since my hotel rate was great. The parking staff is also fantastic and very kind!

Lobby
- They light candles in the evening which makes for a relaxing atmosphere.
- Unfortunately the gym was not open due to renovations.
- Friendly staff
- Breakfast was reasonably priced ~$20. I have paid a lot more at other hotels.

Room
- Stayed at a Starwood Preferred Guest Floor
- Decided not to use maid service and received 500 points / night
- Bed was "heavenly"
- $10 for wifi but I decided to connect my mobile device to my laptop for internet.
- My room had water pressure issues in the shower
- First time requests never went through so I had to ask twice. Not sure why

I will probably stay again. It's a nice hotel, beside a metro station, restaurants, and is relatively new, and beats downtown Washington DC prices.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Dear fasaleh,
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we are delighted to hear you would stay with us again! Thank you for your detailed comments on our relaxing lobby, heavenly rooms, and parking. We apologize that you experienced issues with the water pressure—we have recently upgraded our equipment and are continuing to look into the issue so we can prevent this in the future. We look forward to welcoming you again and thank you for the review! Be Inspired.
VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2011

Pros: Great bed, Clean Rooms, Friendly staff, Starbucks off of the lobby Cons: 1st: High Taxes on movie rentals that could not be explained. When I asked, I was told "I don't know what taxes these are, but maybe state taxes?" That was a question, no at answer. 2nd: Parking Rates that changed over the weekend, and we were not aware. What makes this bad, in my opinion, is the hotel blamed it on the parking company, the parking company blamed it on the hotel....Someone needs to get this straightened out. Lastly: room rate that was "special because of a company party" turns out is not so special. Same rate is visible on the web. Wont stay again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear bashera43,
It is great to hear you enjoyed our Heavenly Bed, refreshing room, and friendly staff! Communication with our guests is very important to us and we sincerely apologize for the miscommunication with the movie tax and parking charges. The movie tax is in fact a state tax that we must comply with and our parking charges are $24 per night Sunday through Wednesday night and $22 per night Thursday through Saturday night. We have reviewed these with our staff and have outlined steps to avoid them in the future—thank you for bringing them to our attention. We hope you consider staying with us again! Be Well.

Been to The Westin Arlington Gateway? Share your experiences!