“Love My Pet” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #29 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
Brooklyn, New York
“Love My Pet”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2011

My wife and I came down to DC from NYC to see a football game. Our son was away, so we decided not to leave our pet dog, Pikachu, at home – so we brought her along on the trip. We chose the Westin Arlington Gateway because they were Pet Friendly and were near the subway station that we could use to get out to the game. After we checked-in, we put all of our gear in the room, and settled Piki in - and went out to get a bite to eat. We had just gotten to our seats in the restaurant across the street when the front desk called to inform us that our dog was barking in the room. We were embarrassed and immediately left the restaurant and rushed back up to the room – and sure enough – Pikachu was barking in despair. We had travelled before with our dog – and this was never a problem…now we really had a BIG problem – how could we go to the game and leave the dog back at the hotel. The next morning I approached the front desk and explained the situation. “Not a problem, sir. I know how we can take care of it.” Wow…!!! I never expected that. The solution was simple, according to the friendly and quick thinking man at the Front Desk, they would be happy to have Pikachu stay down in the office while we were away and we could simply pick her up when we returned. WHAT A RELIEF…!!! We brought the dog bed and her water bowl down and went to the game and enjoyed it immensely. Upon return – the Manager met us and informed us that the Front Desk man and the Concierge had both taken her out for a walk…and she had not barked or been a bother at all. I commend the staff at the Westin Arlington Gateway for going above and beyond in customer service and really standing behind their promise of being pet friendly. I will fro sure be staying at the Westin Arlington Gateway when I return to Washington, DC, and will make every effort to stay at the Westin when my travels take me elsewhere. Thank you very much. Job well done.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
TheWestinArlington, Manager at The Westin Arlington Gateway, responded to this review, December 8, 2011
Dear Fiona I,
We are delighted that we were able to help watch Pikachu so you could enjoy the football game! Not only was he a great dog, but it is truly our pleasure to make your stay care-free! We are happy to hear you will be staying with us again and we are looking forward to it. Be Inspired.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
richmond
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2011

While the front desk employees were friendly, I found the concierge to be incredibly condescending. Room service screwed up my order all three times that I ordered - forgetting butter for the bread, a water glass, lemon for the water, and of course all of the specifications I requested. For the incredibly overpriced omelet with coffee and soy milk (at $32), I would expect the meal to be perfect.

The room size was adequate for a mid-level hotel, but cramped considering it was almost $400!

On the plus side, the gym was nice, and the proximity to the metro was good.

Overall, I probably wouldn't have been so disappointed if it were fairly priced at say $190 a night.

Dear miz_virginia,
We are sorry to hear about your experience and apologize for the incorrect room service order and service at the concierge. Details are certainly very important and have shared your experience with our team in order to avoid this in the future. Thank you for your feedback and we hope you can give our hotel another chance in the future. Be Well.
Ann Arbor, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2011

Stayed for 3 nights twice. Was billed incorrectly both times (more than 600 dollars over both times, even though I wasn't even using any special rates or coupons or anything). The rooms were fine, but nothing was particularly nice. The TV was merely OK, and the front desk staff was only minimally helpful. For example, I needed a spoon for some cereal, and all they could do to help was point me to nearby restaurants where I could ask for one. I've stayed at 2 star hotels that were way more helpful. All the things you'd expect for such high rates, like internet access or not crazy prices for extras (like not $5 for water), were missing.

Only one star because fixing the billing issues, both times, was a royal pain.

Room Tip: The higher rooms have a slightly better view.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
TheWestinArlington, Manager at The Westin Arlington Gateway, responded to this review, December 9, 2011
Dear Donald D,
We are sincerely sorry about the inconveniences you experienced with billing during your stays. Thank you for getting back in touch with us so we could further discuss, pinpoint, and resolve the issue. We also apologize that you experienced uncharacteristic service from our hotel. This is certainly not the standard and we have utilized your feedback to avoid this in the future. Be Well.
Manassas, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2011

Stayed at the Westin last weekend in October for a conference. We arrived late but were greated by the valet who happily parked our van. The lemonade and fruit was nice to have after driving for a few hours, especically being ten at night. The reception quickly checked us in and we were on our way. The rooms were very modern with LCD tv, contemporary colors, and a dual shower head. The bathroom had plenty of counter space and the robes were nice and soft. The beds were great... not too firm with nice soft sheets. The room had inroom coffee and a huge desk. The starbucks in the lobby was very convenient and of course they had the typical breakfast sandwhichs. Very close to metro.. a few blocks at best. PF Changs was across the street and I would greatly recommend for dinner. My only complaint was the in-room wifi charge.. but that is across the board. The pool looked nice, although it was closed for the night as did the exercise center which is 24 hrs. Overall I would consider this a great option if traveling to dc on a budget.... if the rate is right for breakfast is not included.

Room Tip: Upper floors have less street noise... Third floor is pool and to get there one must go past most gu...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Dear a5689,
Thank you for your detailed review! We are delighted that you found the lemonade refreshing and your room comfortable. We believe we offer a great option when traveling to DC too—thank you! Be Well.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2011

I would give this 4 stars if it were any other hotel, but it wasn't what I've come to expect in comparison to other Westins in comparable cities. Westin is my preferred hotel chain, but the room was a let down. We booked this as a last-minute weekend getaway and I was surprised and pleased to book a Westin below $100.

The lobby is impressive, staff was helpful and the location was convenient. However, this is an old building and the remodeling isn't up to what I've come to expect from this chain. There were also some housekeeping issues (see picture.)

Stay here if you get a discount, but don't pay the full price. Just my two cents...

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Dear Guyfromfaraway,
We sorry to hear you were disappointed with the room and apologize for the effect it had on your experience. Our building is relatively new—only five years old and our team is constantly working on maintaining and upgrading the facility. However, issues do arise as with any building and we encourage you to reach out to one of our friendly staff in the future to assist in finding a room that is suitable so we are able to solve the issue. We are glad to hear you enjoyed the lobby, location, and staff and hope you give our hotel another chance in the future. Be Well.
Charleston, SC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2011

I stayed at the Westin Arlington Gateway for business. I was upgraded to a suite and really enjoyed the extra room. It was nice to have a sitting area to relax in the evenings. The bathroom was very spacious but lacked sufficient water pressure. The shower only had the water pressure of the bathroom faucet. I asked if I could change rooms, but they didn't have another suite available. I liked the extra space, so I decided to tough it out. Check in and check out were easy, and the staff was very professional. There are several good restaurants nearby (my favorite was Union Jacks's Brittish Pub). The fitness facility was quite small for the size of the hotel, but it wasn't too bad. The club lounge was a nice treat. There was plenty of room and a nice view. The breakfast and evening snacks were just alright. I will say the fruit was the best part- fresh melon, blueberries, raspberries, and pineapple. Overall, a very nice stay.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Dear MJ-Charleston-SC,
We are glad you were able to join us on business and that you enjoyed the extra room in your suite! We apologize the water pressure was not sufficient, but with feedback such as yours to our associates, we are able to amend the issue—thank you! We hope you choose to stay with us again for business or leisure! Be Inspired.
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2011

Why do I say unique practices in unexpected arrangement in Westin Chain of hotels? I've stayed with Westin in various location e.g. Toronto, Utah, Kyoto, Awajishima, Singapore, in addition to other 5 stars hotel chains. I've near come across any 5 stars hotels that do not provide minifridge in the room.

We stayed in the Club room for 3 nights. Upon arrival, to my amazement , the room is not furnished with a fridge. There is a locked bar fridge which is not in use now. Also, details like slippers and kettle were neglected, the air-con was making too much noise. At that time my rating for this hotel went down to almost 3 star. 'Even a 3 star has all these bare minimum'.

Just after one call to the front desk, the staff was able to bring me a working fridge and slippers immediately with a smile. The air-con noise was fixed within a day.They even brought me a cake when they learnt from my husband that it was my birthday that day. For that Good Service my rating for this hotel went back to 5 star again.

One could never fought for Westin's Heavenly Bed, perfect cosy ! The water power is not strong enough to bring out that 'Heavenly Shower'. The room is clean and neatly designed with large work desk and ergonomic chair. The Business Center is a DIY self service centre. You need to swap your credit card to operate the copier/fax/scanner machine. Wifi comes free at club and standard room they charge US$9.99/day.

There's no problem finding food around here, the hotel has its own pizza restaurant, pub. Next to the hotel there are 2 cafe, 1 starbuck cafe, 1 Thai bistro within 1 mins walk. Macy departmental store, Ballston Shopping Mall and Ballston Subway is only 3 mins walk from the hotel.

I will stay with Westin Arlington Gateway again, if I return to D.C. As I know that everything will be well taken care of by Westin Staff and I can go to Ballston Mall for daily meals.

Dear odakyu,

We are happy to hear that we were able to overcome some initial concerns during your stay to offer you a great Westin experience! As you said, we do not have refrigerators in all of our rooms, but will gladly deliver one upon request. We are also delighted that you enjoyed our Heavenly Bed and that we were able to celebrate your birthday! We are glad to hear you will join us again if you return to the area, and please do not hesitate to contact us with any of your needs or desires when you do! Be Well.

Been to The Westin Arlington Gateway? Share your experiences!