“Spacious Suite, Good Location” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #29 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
Charleston, SC
“Spacious Suite, Good Location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2011

I stayed at the Westin Arlington Gateway for business. I was upgraded to a suite and really enjoyed the extra room. It was nice to have a sitting area to relax in the evenings. The bathroom was very spacious but lacked sufficient water pressure. The shower only had the water pressure of the bathroom faucet. I asked if I could change rooms, but they didn't have another suite available. I liked the extra space, so I decided to tough it out. Check in and check out were easy, and the staff was very professional. There are several good restaurants nearby (my favorite was Union Jacks's Brittish Pub). The fitness facility was quite small for the size of the hotel, but it wasn't too bad. The club lounge was a nice treat. There was plenty of room and a nice view. The breakfast and evening snacks were just alright. I will say the fruit was the best part- fresh melon, blueberries, raspberries, and pineapple. Overall, a very nice stay.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
TheWestinArlington, Manager at The Westin Arlington Gateway, responded to this review, December 8, 2011
Dear MJ-Charleston-SC,
We are glad you were able to join us on business and that you enjoyed the extra room in your suite! We apologize the water pressure was not sufficient, but with feedback such as yours to our associates, we are able to amend the issue—thank you! We hope you choose to stay with us again for business or leisure! Be Inspired.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2011

Why do I say unique practices in unexpected arrangement in Westin Chain of hotels? I've stayed with Westin in various location e.g. Toronto, Utah, Kyoto, Awajishima, Singapore, in addition to other 5 stars hotel chains. I've near come across any 5 stars hotels that do not provide minifridge in the room.

We stayed in the Club room for 3 nights. Upon arrival, to my amazement , the room is not furnished with a fridge. There is a locked bar fridge which is not in use now. Also, details like slippers and kettle were neglected, the air-con was making too much noise. At that time my rating for this hotel went down to almost 3 star. 'Even a 3 star has all these bare minimum'.

Just after one call to the front desk, the staff was able to bring me a working fridge and slippers immediately with a smile. The air-con noise was fixed within a day.They even brought me a cake when they learnt from my husband that it was my birthday that day. For that Good Service my rating for this hotel went back to 5 star again.

One could never fought for Westin's Heavenly Bed, perfect cosy ! The water power is not strong enough to bring out that 'Heavenly Shower'. The room is clean and neatly designed with large work desk and ergonomic chair. The Business Center is a DIY self service centre. You need to swap your credit card to operate the copier/fax/scanner machine. Wifi comes free at club and standard room they charge US$9.99/day.

There's no problem finding food around here, the hotel has its own pizza restaurant, pub. Next to the hotel there are 2 cafe, 1 starbuck cafe, 1 Thai bistro within 1 mins walk. Macy departmental store, Ballston Shopping Mall and Ballston Subway is only 3 mins walk from the hotel.

I will stay with Westin Arlington Gateway again, if I return to D.C. As I know that everything will be well taken care of by Westin Staff and I can go to Ballston Mall for daily meals.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Dear odakyu,

We are happy to hear that we were able to overcome some initial concerns during your stay to offer you a great Westin experience! As you said, we do not have refrigerators in all of our rooms, but will gladly deliver one upon request. We are also delighted that you enjoyed our Heavenly Bed and that we were able to celebrate your birthday! We are glad to hear you will join us again if you return to the area, and please do not hesitate to contact us with any of your needs or desires when you do! Be Well.
Whitehall, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2011

We loved the Westin Arlington Gateway. This was my second stay in a Westin and I've not been disappointed either time.
Rooms are clean, finely appointed, and comfortable. The staff was very accomidating. We requested a cot and they delivered a single bed on a solid frame. The mattress was a Beautyrest pillow top. Our son loved it and now wants one for his room at home.
The hotel is within walking distance of the Metro which will get you anywhere you want within Alexandria and nearby Washington DC.
The room temperature was a little cool for our liking, however the staff immediately resolved the heating issue.

Room Tip: We booked through Hotwire. We booked 2 rooms which turned out to be single king beds when we really...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Dear wyles_pa,
We are glad you and your family loved our hotel! Thank you for your detailed review and recommendations. We would love for your family to stay with us again! Be Inspired.
NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

Stayed at the Westin in Arlington Va during a recent college visit road trip with my daughter. I have never been disappointed with my stay at any Westin - very clean, very polite & very accomodating! beautiful hotel with a perfect location.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Dear Murphy4,
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for your loyalty to Westin! We hope the college visit went well and that you will be able to come back and stay with us again in the future! Be Well.
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011

I stayed here for a conference; paid about $250 nite. Well situated near Metro, across from shopping mall, near restaurants, but inside was quirky. No shower cap in bathroom, had to get from concierge; no body wash, just bar soap, which is unusual these days; hard to regulate heat/AC in room; meeting rooms were freezing; and beds were just okay, despite being called "dream beds". How much is a down pillow, anyway? Strangest thing was being asked if I wanted to forego maid service; they grant 500 points or 5 dollar food credit...I see it as taking jobs away from people who need them most. Would stay again if I HAD to, only at discount prices!

Dear Wandala,
We are delighted you were able to stay with us and enjoy our location, but are sorry that that was only an okay experience—we strive to go above and beyond the ordinary! We do have a set of standard amenities in the rooms, but if there is anything else you are looking for, we encourage you to contact our associates for assistance. We do have our Make a Green Choice program which does offer an incentive for choosing to help out the environment. The program in no way reduces or intends to reduce jobs—it is simply a way for us both to help our environment! We hope you choose to experience our location and services again in the future. Be Inspired.
Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2011

I chose this hotel becuase it had good reviews. I was not impressed. They would not give me the conference special rate because the date had passed. When I got there I asked for a quiet room but had to go back because they didn't give me one. Room service was always late and always wrong, breakfast did not have a buffet and you had to wait 20 mins for the wrong order and cold, and then pay $30 for it. There was a fridge in the room but it was locked. When I called they said they don't use them any more, would I like a fridge in my room? I wondered what they thought I would do with 2 fridges in my room but nothing to put in either of them? The pool is small and the hours in it are limited. There is no parking nearby so you have to use the valet for $22 a night. And all that for a fourt star hotel at 300 bucks a night!
The final straw: when I checked out early, I was told that this is some special rate which meant I had to pay for the whole time, even though I am checking out early. In 30 years of international travel I have never come across that, and no-one told me anything about that when I did the booking.

You can go there if you want. I won't ever again ....

Room Tip: Don't go to this hotel ......
Dear Canadian926,
We apologize that your experience at our hotel was not what you expected. We strive to make sure our room service orders are always correct and we are truly sorry for the inconvenience. However, we do ask our guests to allow 30 minutes for our room service orders to be prepared and delivered. We also encourage our guests to pre-order breakfast items and note the time they would like it delivered the night before to allow our staff to ensure a timely and energizing start to our guests’ day. We only able to offer our discounted group rates for the period specified in the group contract due to availability, but will always do our best to get everyone with the group in at a discounted rate. It also sounds like you booked our prepaid discount rate which is the only reason why you would be charged for your entire stay even if you left early. The prepaid rate is only offered online and the discount on the prepaid rate is given due to fact that the reservation is fully non-cancelable and non-changeable which is stated at the time of booking and in your confirmation. We do not have a refrigerator in the room, but can deliver one to your room on request as you stated. Our pool is a full size lap pool with an adjacent whirlpool and we are only allowed to have the pool open when we are able to provide lifeguard supervision as required by Arlington County. There are also other parking options in the area and we encourage you to contact any of our associates for assistance. We hope you will reconsider staying at our hotel again and we would be delighted for the chance to provide a true Westin experience in the future! Be Well.
Buenos Aires, Argentina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

Most other reviewers have correctly described the hotel: good location if you need to be in the area, close to the shopping center and other eating choices (beware most close early), and modern spacious rooms. The hotel website describe their bed and baths as "heavenly" (a trade mark of their apparently). While the bed was indeed very confortable, the bathroom was just a regular 4+ star hotel bathroom with only a double shower head as a distinctive token. Nothing there looked really "spa like" as advertised. On the plus side, room service food was eatable and not overly expensive.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
btriplett801, Manager at The Westin Arlington Gateway, responded to this review, October 14, 2011
Dear Diego_W,
We are delighted you were able to take comfort in our Heavenly Bed and spacious rooms. Thank you for your feedback on our bathroom and if there is something that would make it more heavenly for you, please do not hesitate to let us know! We hope you choose to stay with us again and thank you for staying with us. Be Well.

Been to The Westin Arlington Gateway? Share your experiences!