“Fantastic Westin Experience” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #27 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
Houston, Texas
“Fantastic Westin Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2011

I am a very loyal Starwood fan. Yes, not all hotels are as nice as they once were and every once in a while the service is lacking, but this Westin is one of the best in the Starwood portfolio. I bring middle school kids to the DC area every other year and I frequently am in the DC area because I used to live there and enjoy coming back frequently. I wish every hotel was like this one.

Whether I have my group or not, the people here have been extraordinarily friendly...and I mean everyone from the restaurant to the front desk to the concierge to the luggage attendants to the room attendants to the maintenance people. It's amazing the culture that has been established at the hotel. It really speaks a great deal of the management team. Not only are they friendly, they go above and beyond what you think you would get, even from a Westin.

When I use their sales department (I have twice now for groups) they are really easy to work with. We use their restaurant for our breakfasts and dinners and the food is good quality and the people there are once again super easy to work with in establishing menus, billing, etc. The staff there had everything prepared correctly for our arrival and that continued through our departure. It was so nice to have consistency and fluidity.

While not all hotels are thrilled about school groups...honestly I work for a school and there are times I am not thrilled to be part of a traveling group...the staff made every effort to ensure that they had a great time. The concierge was absolutely amazing with them helping tie ties and he and one of the front desk staff tried to figure out how to tie a bow tie. It's the little things like that...the things that they certainly don't have to do even if they are a hotel employee...that makes this place really great and beyond the ordinary.

It's easy to tell when people are fake...and the people here are not like that at all. When I come back for leisure travel the people are the same way they were when I was there with the group. It's really nice to see that their culture is the same regardless of who they are offering their services too.

The building itself is in a great location. It's about one block from the Ballston Metro Stop. If you don't have a car, it's all that much more convenient. I always Metro from Ronald Reagan International and it's easy to get to and then use the Metro to get around during my stay. The hotel is in great condition and is clean. They offer a wide variety of things and have a Starbucks attached of to the side behind the front desk. Their lobby is very welcoming and their restaurant is elegant in a less is more sort of way (which I really like because I'm not worried about bumping into anything that's just put there for no apparent reason).

The rooms are a good size (I've been in the rooms with one king and two doubles). The beds are of course great and the bathrooms have some space to move around in as well. The amenities are the standard Westin products, but that's one of the reasons I like Westin...the consistency across the board with things such as that. The only thing that I could see as a potential negative is that the doors are on a security-type "hinge" so that they close behind you securely and when they close they are loud. I heard it a few times, but it wasn't a big deal as I only heard it during the day.

Overall, the times I've been here it's one of my favorite Starwood properties. I look forward to returning again. It's worth the stay even if you aren't doing anything in the immediate area due to its location to the Metro stop accessibility and what you get while at the hotel.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
btriplett801, Manager at The Westin Arlington Gateway, responded to this review, May 24, 2011
Dear aaroniah,

We greatly appreciate your continued loyalty and detailed review! We are glad to hear that all of your experiences with the hotel from group sales to personalized service consistently exceeded your expectations. It is refreshing to hear that you were able to enjoy our genuine service that is truly ‘beyond the ordinary.’ We look forward to your return as well and thank you again for your loyalty! Be Inspired.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2011

I stayed here during a final round of interviews with my new employer, and was pleased overall. The room felt clean, the bed slept well, the metro was just a few blocks away, and the huge windows let in great light -- though the view of the construction zone across the street wasn't the most scenic. The cheery staff made a good impression, too. I had some unexpected, late-night printing to do, and the excellent concierge (Rob, maybe?) came to my rescue.

I did get the impression that the hotel had hit its peak a few years ago and was now struggling to survive in a rockier economy. The double shower heads had been dismantled back to one, the soap/shampoo were skimpy, the robe was stiff, and what I thought was the fridge was apparently just an old mini-bar that management had decommissioned and locked up. (There was no fridge, which was frustrating.)

With all the new development, $10/day wireless, and $24/night parking, this would not have been my first choice for personal travel, but it was a comfortable stay for business.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing the construction
Dear elizzy_bennet,

Thank you for your recommendation for business travelers and kind comments on our ‘cheery’ staff. We do have refrigerators upon request, so please do not hesitate to ask! We have an earnest desire to satisfy your needs and we hope you can take advantage of all Westin has to offer in the future. Take Comfort.
Staunton, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2011

We wanted a hotel near Arlington Cemetery, and got lucky when Hotwire offered an excellent rate on this great hotel. Very clean room, nice bed, (no sign of bedbugs) and wonderful, efficient staff everywhere in the hotel. There really isn't any choice for parking except to Valet ($22/day plus whatever you tip for ins and outs--very reasonable for DC area). I normally hate to valet my car for fear of damage, but they were careful, pleasant, and quick. The Concierge was great--knew where to find anything and everything, and the front desk staff marvelous. Bartenders were just as good. The one weakness is the hotel restaurant, which is a bit on the average side, but the pricing is fair for what is offered, and there are plenty of restaurants within easy walking distance. Having a Starbucks inside the hotel was a plus! We would choose this hotel again.

Room Tip: Just ask the staff for what you want!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
btriplett801, Manager at The Westin Arlington Gateway, responded to this review, April 15, 2011
Dear Travelgirl898,
We are happy to hear you felt ‘lucky’ to stay at our hotel! Thank you for your comments on our ‘reasonable’ and ‘quick’ valet parking. We apologize you found our restaurant to be just average, but we are proud to announce that we have just rolled out an exciting new menu focusing on fresh, farm-to-table Italian cuisine. Be Inspired.
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2011

Great proximity to Metro (access to DC), and a (somewhat downtrodden) mall. Several restaurants in area and an overall good neighborhood. The hotel is a bit expensive given that it's not in DC proper (I paid almost $300 on a Thursday).

We booked this hotel because Marriott was full and we were looking outside of the District. We mistakenly assumed that parking would not be an issue. The only available parking was valet at $24/night (we were there for about 12 total hours). The front desk asked if we were aware of the charges in such a way that I assumed they had received complaints in the past.

Average Westin room, nothing special (had a dated-feel to it). Comforters had stains on them (almost looked like bed bug stains). Very comfortable bed, no problems other than unseemly stains and expensive parking. Great service and front desk staff.

Dear Travel159549,
Thank you for the recommendation and for your feedback. We apologize you were not satisfied with the price of our valet parking; however, we can assure you that our charges reflect the availability and cost of parking in the area. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your Heavenly bed and experienced great service during your stay! Be Well.
Storrs, CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2011

Check-in staff was very pleasant, cordial, and respectful. The lobby was very large and very relaxing with comfortable furniture and free wi-fi only in the lobby. The room was very pleasant, luxurious, and bed was very comfortable. Had a large picture window with an excellent view. Room Service breakfast was very expensive. But next door the breakfast was delicious and much much cheaper. $10 a night for wi-fi in the room is outrageous so use the free wi-fi in the lobby near the Starbucks. Rooms are clean and bathroom was very luxurious and excellent stay at the Westin. I highly recommend the Westin. I paid almost $250 a night and it was very expensive. I stayed at the Holiday Inn Ballston down the street last November and had a horrible week long stay there. The Westin is the best!

Room Tip: pick a high floor on south side
Dear JasStorrs_CT,
Thank you for your recommendation and we are glad to hear you think we are the best! We are delighted to hear you had a pleasant stay and were able to utilize the free Wi-Fi in the lobby. We hope to welcome you again soon and thank you again for your feedback. Take comfort.
Washington DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2011

This Westin Hotel was fabulous! I booked on Priceline and was concerned about the size of the bed so I called ahead and spoke with Emily who was extremely helpful and put us in a room with a king size bed! It was a good thing because we were booked into a room with double beds. When we checked in Jordon was fabulous and very helpful as well. The room was terrific! The bed was extremely comfortable and the room was super clean. We ate dinner in the hotel restaurant and our waiter Thomas was great as well as our bartender T.J. who made fabulous martini's!!! The area is tremendous with a lot of fantastic restaurants as well as great shopping! I highly recommend this Westin Hotel!!!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
btriplett801, Manager at The Westin Arlington Gateway, responded to this review, April 1, 2011
Dear laffinal,

Thank you for taking the time to recognize some of our outstanding associates and we are very pleased to hear they were able to surprise and delight you. We truly appreciate your recommendation and hope to welcome you again soon. Be Inspired.
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2011

Very nice hotel, what I've come to know Westin's to be. Cool lobby, excellent service (except valet - I'll get into that in a moment.) nice comfortable room and amenities. I recommend this hotel to business travelers both for it's location and it's exceptional service. The only drawback I had dealt with valet - they lost my keys for almost an hour which made me late for my business meeting. I was not a happy camper - I understand that mistakes happen, but no one every tried to make it right. They simple ran around while my vehicle blocked the pick-up area and they struggled to locate my keys.

Dear BNB0423,

We are happy to hear you found our hotel loyal to what you have come to know as the “excellent” standards of the Westin Brand. Thank you for your recommendation to business travelers and your feedback on our valet. We apologize for your unpleasant experience with valet and will use your feedback to streamline the process in the future. Take Comfort.

Been to The Westin Arlington Gateway? Share your experiences!