“Horrible parking situation” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #28 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
Dallas, Texas
“Horrible parking situation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2011

Great proximity to Metro (access to DC), and a (somewhat downtrodden) mall. Several restaurants in area and an overall good neighborhood. The hotel is a bit expensive given that it's not in DC proper (I paid almost $300 on a Thursday).

We booked this hotel because Marriott was full and we were looking outside of the District. We mistakenly assumed that parking would not be an issue. The only available parking was valet at $24/night (we were there for about 12 total hours). The front desk asked if we were aware of the charges in such a way that I assumed they had received complaints in the past.

Average Westin room, nothing special (had a dated-feel to it). Comforters had stains on them (almost looked like bed bug stains). Very comfortable bed, no problems other than unseemly stains and expensive parking. Great service and front desk staff.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
btriplett801, Manager at The Westin Arlington Gateway, responded to this review, April 15, 2011
Dear Travel159549,
Thank you for the recommendation and for your feedback. We apologize you were not satisfied with the price of our valet parking; however, we can assure you that our charges reflect the availability and cost of parking in the area. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your Heavenly bed and experienced great service during your stay! Be Well.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Storrs, CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2011

Check-in staff was very pleasant, cordial, and respectful. The lobby was very large and very relaxing with comfortable furniture and free wi-fi only in the lobby. The room was very pleasant, luxurious, and bed was very comfortable. Had a large picture window with an excellent view. Room Service breakfast was very expensive. But next door the breakfast was delicious and much much cheaper. $10 a night for wi-fi in the room is outrageous so use the free wi-fi in the lobby near the Starbucks. Rooms are clean and bathroom was very luxurious and excellent stay at the Westin. I highly recommend the Westin. I paid almost $250 a night and it was very expensive. I stayed at the Holiday Inn Ballston down the street last November and had a horrible week long stay there. The Westin is the best!

Room Tip: pick a high floor on south side
Dear JasStorrs_CT,
Thank you for your recommendation and we are glad to hear you think we are the best! We are delighted to hear you had a pleasant stay and were able to utilize the free Wi-Fi in the lobby. We hope to welcome you again soon and thank you again for your feedback. Take comfort.
Washington DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2011

This Westin Hotel was fabulous! I booked on Priceline and was concerned about the size of the bed so I called ahead and spoke with Emily who was extremely helpful and put us in a room with a king size bed! It was a good thing because we were booked into a room with double beds. When we checked in Jordon was fabulous and very helpful as well. The room was terrific! The bed was extremely comfortable and the room was super clean. We ate dinner in the hotel restaurant and our waiter Thomas was great as well as our bartender T.J. who made fabulous martini's!!! The area is tremendous with a lot of fantastic restaurants as well as great shopping! I highly recommend this Westin Hotel!!!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
btriplett801, Manager at The Westin Arlington Gateway, responded to this review, April 1, 2011
Dear laffinal,

Thank you for taking the time to recognize some of our outstanding associates and we are very pleased to hear they were able to surprise and delight you. We truly appreciate your recommendation and hope to welcome you again soon. Be Inspired.
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2011

Very nice hotel, what I've come to know Westin's to be. Cool lobby, excellent service (except valet - I'll get into that in a moment.) nice comfortable room and amenities. I recommend this hotel to business travelers both for it's location and it's exceptional service. The only drawback I had dealt with valet - they lost my keys for almost an hour which made me late for my business meeting. I was not a happy camper - I understand that mistakes happen, but no one every tried to make it right. They simple ran around while my vehicle blocked the pick-up area and they struggled to locate my keys.

Dear BNB0423,

We are happy to hear you found our hotel loyal to what you have come to know as the “excellent” standards of the Westin Brand. Thank you for your recommendation to business travelers and your feedback on our valet. We apologize for your unpleasant experience with valet and will use your feedback to streamline the process in the future. Take Comfort.
Fairbanks, AK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2011

About 3 blocks from the Ballston Metro, 3 blocks from National Science Foundation and Ballston mall. This is a very upscale neighborhood with many renovated buildings, sidewalks, etc. I was there for a 3-day conference, and the conference staff & services & food were outstanding. Rooms are average size. My room was a double, so didn't have as much space as I'd like for a business-style seating area & larger desk. Bathroom amenities were 3-star. The Internet (non-free, wired or wireless) was astoundingly, amazingly slow, throughout my stay except before 6am. Gym was good, with 5 treadmills, 2 elipticals (with TV screens), a few bikes, mats and weights, 24hr. Starbucks on premises, many many places to eat in the area (including a food court in the mall), extensive jogging trail nearby. I'd stay there again for $200-270, but prices (which vary considerably over time, like many hotels in the DC area) are often over $300.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
btriplett801, Manager at The Westin Arlington Gateway, responded to this review, March 23, 2011
Dear gbn,

We are delighted to hear you enjoyed our refreshing conference services and delicious food. We will pass along your positive feedback to our conference services team who truly understand that successful meetings stem from outstanding service. We apologize that you experienced slow internet in your room and with your feedback we have recently upgraded our system. We are also glad you were able to take advantage of the area’s restaurants and nearby jogging trail. Take comfort and we hope to welcome you again soon.
Bloomington IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2011

This is the second time that I have stayed at the Westin in Arlington VA and I have been pleased with my experience on both occasions. The Westin Arlington is adjacent to the Ballston Mall and near a very busy commerical area. It is convenenient to a number of restaurants and to the Metro. Rooms are fully up to Westin standards. Staff is crisp and professional. The workout area has good cardio machines and one of the best hotel weight machines that I have seen. They also have a nice indoor pool and jacuzzi. The price can be high, but I stay here using Starwood Preferred points and dollars, making it a reasonably prced option. I noticed that the rooms are laid out nicely for work even though I was on a strictly personal trip.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Dear nrstycz,

We greatly appreciate your loyalty and we are grateful that you chose to stay with us again. Thank you for your thoughtful comments on our workout and swimming facilities which serve as refreshing amenities for both our leisure and business guests. We are pleased to hear that our rooms were up to your standards and were reflected well in our “crisp and professional”staff. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip. Be Inspired.
Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2011

Like other higher-end hotels, this hotel has a nice lobby. The rooms are pretty standard; clean, nice, large desk and flat panel TV. The bed was awesome.

The $10/night for the slowest Internet connection I've had in a long time was annoying.

There are plenty of restaurants nearby, but if there is anything else, I certainly didn't see it. A few block walk from Metro (always nice) and there is a 4-story mall nearly that has certainly seen better days.

The "gift shop" has items displayed behind glass - "Oooo... a diet coke!" - but you have to ask the staff to open the glass and get you one. They could install a vending machine somewhere and save the trouble... or walk a block or two to the CVS in the mall.

Overall, I wouldn't stay again, unless I had another meeting at this hotel. It's fine, but nothing spectacular.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Dear professorroyhinkley,

We are pleased you enjoyed your Heavenly Bed and the amenities in your room. As you stated, we are located in the emerging Ballston area that is conveniently near many restaurants and is truly a gateway to the D.C. area with easy access to the Metro and the airport. Thank you for your feedback on our internet and gift shop which will be helpful as we are currently upgrading our guestroom internet and are always striving to improve. We hope you consider staying with us again in the future and thank you again for your comments.

Been to The Westin Arlington Gateway? Share your experiences!