“Tops on a block of interesting restaurants” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Dinner
Dining options: Dinner
Plymouth, Massachusetts
“Tops on a block of interesting restaurants”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

That one block of 23rd Street is chock full of interesting family ethnic restaurants. I've been to a few and tried Top Thai on this visit. I was not disappointed! Tom Kah tasty and loaded with fresh shrimp. Drunken noodles also good and large enough to share.
If you are in any one of a number of the uber-modern Crystal City hotels, take a short walk over to 23rd street. Lots of good, inexpensive, no-pretense places.

• Visited February 2013

Durango, Colorado
“Understated and delicious”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

Small restaurant with outdoor seating. Portions are large enough to share. Friendly and efficient staff. Good for a quick lunch or dinner.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Pinconning, Michigan
“Pretty good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

I ordered online, and just a short time later was picking up my Pad See Ew. It was pretty good. Some of the beef was slightly tough, though most of it was fine. For about $10, the portions were significant. I though the flavor was just fine.

Visited October 2012
New York
“Yummy down-to-earth Thai food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

I admit that I'm easy to please when it comes to Thai food, but I still recommend this place. The menu offers a great variety, prices are reasonable and service is quick. I had their country style curry (no coconut milk) which had lots of veggies and something I don't ever remember having before--fresh pepper corns. It was delightfully spicy hot without drowning out the other flavors. I will go back next time I find myself in Crystal City.

• Visited September 2012
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Large portions, but short on flavor”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

I continued my exploration of the deliberately quaint restaurants that dotted S. 23rd Street in Crystal City, and decided upon Top Thai for one of my lunches. I was attracted by the daily lunch specials, which touted a soup/salad and entrée for under $8. This was a bargain, especially for the area, so I headed into the tiny place.

I didn't really get a good look at the interior, so my impression is confined to a fleeting impression of dim lighting, a couple rows of tables, a scattering of pictures, and not much else. The weather wasn't too bad for July, so I asked my cheery server to seat me outside in the covered porch area. This had brown wooden chairs and blue-gray tables fronting the sidewalk.

I figured that, with lunch so cheap and not having so many opportunities to sample Thai beer, I'd try the Chang. The server speedily brought the bottle and a frosty glass. My verdict - weak and watery.

That day's soup was Chicken Coconut Soup; for the entrée I chose the Chicken Pad Thai. The soup arrived quickly. It was tasty and smooth, with an adequate amount of chicken chunks, but did not contain much heat despite a one-chili pepper rating on the menu. The pad thai was brought just before I finished my soup. The pile of chicken, noodles, and sprouts in the shallow bowl was substantial, especially for the price. But, again, there was not actually any flavor which could have elevated this dish to something great. Both soup and entrée were incredibly bland.

I had read about the Mango & Sticky Rice and figured I'd cap off my meal with that. A small scoop of rice and a few slices of mango glistened with a heavy sheen of liquified sugar. Now this, did have flavor, very very sweet. I ate as much as I could, but it was too much sweetness and had to leave the rest.

I'd have to rate my experience at three dots. Service was outstanding, and the lunch special deal is a rare bargain for the area. However, the dishes were devoid of any spices, maybe in order to appeal to American palates, but for me it sunk the meal down to an average rating.

• Visited July 2012