“Good steak at reasonable pricing” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Ray's the Steaks is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 689 Restaurants in Arlington
Cuisines: Steakhouse, American
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Good steak at reasonable pricing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

Steaks were prepared properly and very good. Mashed potatoes and creamed spinach are served family style. Service was good and server was very attentive.

1 Thank Smb1600

Fairfax, Virginia
“Disappointing Delmonico”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

We've been to Rays several times, most recently in September for a special meal, which was OK but not great. I'd had the hanger steak, which was chewy but expected, and the filets were good. My Brother in law was in town last weekend, and he loves beef, so we took him there. He and our daughter had the small filet, cooked medium, and it was OK - like the last time. The wife and I decided to splurge and split the 24 oz Delmonico - expecting a special treat, and we really like a good steak. Unfortunately it was mediocre at best. It just had NO flavor at all. We ordered it medium rare to really get the flavor of the beef, but it was so undercooked we had to send it back just to be able to eat it. We told the waitress our disappointment. She offered us key lime pie as a consolation prize, but what we really had wanted was some good beef, and neither of us could eat the pie do we declined it. Don't know what happened, but I'm not sure this was even choice grade beef. Sad, we have had some really good meals at Rays over the years, but having two mediocre to poor meals with Ray's we're going to have to look elsewhere when we want real good beef.

Washington DC
“Meh...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

It's good. And not as expensive as some of the big name DC steakhouses like Cap Grille or BLT. But if I were in the mood for steak I'd rather pay 15% more for awesome steak than 15% less for a steak about as good as I can grill in my own yard.

Also- our waiters kept changing and so some of the food got mixed up. A guy would come over and talk about dessert and I'd think "who's this guy?" Then when the bill came it was wrong and the wine hadn't been added properly so we had to pay twice. That was worth an apology but none came.

I wasn't unhappy- I just wouldn't go back.

Marco Island, Florida
“very very good, just a bad meat choice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Visited my daughter and son-in-law in northern Virginia. They suggested ray’s the steaks. We had an 8 pm reservations. walked in, very crowded but were seated within 5 minutes at a nice corner table. Our server, dana T, #132 was very personable and helpful. Cute smile as well.

My wife had the scallops which could have been cooked just 1 minute longer but were very good. The kids had sidekick steaks which were very good. I tasted it. In my opinion, they all could have been a bit hotter but it was a crowded Saturday night. Wine prices very reasonable and sides are included. Dana said we could refill sides at no cost, which we did with the creamed spinach and mashed potatoes.

Rays is a good deal. the cost for all four of us with a bottle of wine, tax and tip $200.. a relative bargain. I started with the French onion soup which was excellent. I do prefer a thick layer of cheese on top. This version just had some grated cheese on it. My big mistake was that I ordered the hanger steak onglet. This is not a traditional looking steak but a round piece of meat that looked like a cow tongue. I was turned off by its look and again, could have been hotter but that was my mistake in ordering it instead of the sidekick. We also ordered one dark chocolate mousse which was excellent.

Would I go back… very definitely. Good prices, service and food.

• 5 of 5 stars
    • 5 of 5 stars
1 Thank alfnot1111
va
“Delicious, made to feel at home.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

My first time trying aged dried steaks. It was phenomenal. My husband and I split the dinner for two, it came with mashed potatoes and creamed spinach, in cute small cast iron pans. The staff did an exceptional job of explaining everything in detail and answered all my questions. Great food, great service.

Visited October 2013