“Good food, service was having an off day I think” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Centreville, Virginia, United States
“Good food, service was having an off day I think”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Great steaks, wine and sides. They have a "specials" menu for $28 you can have salad and petite filet with side of spinach/mashed , which I thought was extremely reasonable for this area. The quality of the cut was excellent and it was prepared exactly as I had ordered. I have no qualms about the food. Dinner guests were shocked they didn't offer more types of dressing, now that I think about it, that is odd but would not stop me from returning:)

Service was not the best when I walked in. I originally went for Retro Ray's, which I found out at the end of the evening was under renovation (which is completely fine)...however when I checked in, it was like I committed a sin by not having a reservation, however I told her that I wanted to be at Retro and it was open seating, she simply said "its not open" (how that is my fault, not so sure, but update the website and this wouldn't be an issue).

Our server started out great, but midway through the meal servers changed, but I did see our original server around the restaurant, not sure about this concept? However our new server either could care less about serving us or maybe that's his demeanor, either way I do expect a little better service when paying $160 for two people to have dinner (ok a lot of that is wine!). I am not a snot, I just want you to smile at me and make me feel like you value me as a customer.

All in all I like Ray's, I have been several times and the food is always spot on, maybe the servers/hostess were having a bad day? I am willing to go back again.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Not as advertised”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

Felt obligated to get a steak after seeing the menu. The ribeye was good but not extraordinary. A bit pricey. Service was ok. A bit disappointed.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Newtown, Pennsylvania, United States
“Unpretentious Steak House”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Enjoyed our dinner choice on our recent visit to Arlington/ Washington. The steaks were delicious and done just right. Service was friendly and efficient, plenty of wine and beer choices (no hard stuff), good crowd, everybody happy. Would definitely return.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Arlington, Virginia
“Great steaks and sides, affordable as well - What's not to like”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

I have to say, I have never experienced any of the negative things that one of the recent reviewers says. My steaks have always come out fantastic and, actually, more on the rare than overdone side, but always tasty. We always get the hanger steak. It is the cheapest ($18 or so) and incredibly flavorful. I always say, if you are going to eat steak, why smother it with sauce. This meat has great flavor just as it is with salt. My husband and son both love the garlic mashed potatoes and the creamed spinach. They riot when I try to serve spinach at home and this is the only place I ever saw them eat it and demand more. The sides are served family style and your wait person will bring you as much as you want and if you take some steak home (which you probably will), they will add sides to the take out box. Ray's used to not take reservations, but their main dining room takes them now and if you are thinking of going on a weekend, you better make them or you will be not eating steak that night. They have a smaller room for walk-ins just down from the main entrance, so sometimes you can get seated there. Exact same food. OK, now my one negative. We had a friend visiting and we have heard so much about dry-aged meat (and for a premium price you can get some). However, we did not find it better than their normal steaks. Now maybe I am not all that sophisticated, but I have to say, it was not "the ultimate" steak experience. I highly recommend the lowest priced steak which is the hanger. It has excellent flavor and does not break the bank.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great steaks, great service, but choose wisely”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

I loved my very peppery filet mignon au poivre, but my wife's diablo steak was (also) a bit overspiced, and the sides (spinach, potatoes) were nothing to write home about. Service was excellent.

Visited July 2013