“Great steaks and sides, affordable as well - What's not to like” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Families with children, Outdoor seating, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Arlington, Virginia
“Great steaks and sides, affordable as well - What's not to like”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

I have to say, I have never experienced any of the negative things that one of the recent reviewers says. My steaks have always come out fantastic and, actually, more on the rare than overdone side, but always tasty. We always get the hanger steak. It is the cheapest ($18 or so) and incredibly flavorful. I always say, if you are going to eat steak, why smother it with sauce. This meat has great flavor just as it is with salt. My husband and son both love the garlic mashed potatoes and the creamed spinach. They riot when I try to serve spinach at home and this is the only place I ever saw them eat it and demand more. The sides are served family style and your wait person will bring you as much as you want and if you take some steak home (which you probably will), they will add sides to the take out box. Ray's used to not take reservations, but their main dining room takes them now and if you are thinking of going on a weekend, you better make them or you will be not eating steak that night. They have a smaller room for walk-ins just down from the main entrance, so sometimes you can get seated there. Exact same food. OK, now my one negative. We had a friend visiting and we have heard so much about dry-aged meat (and for a premium price you can get some). However, we did not find it better than their normal steaks. Now maybe I am not all that sophisticated, but I have to say, it was not "the ultimate" steak experience. I highly recommend the lowest priced steak which is the hanger. It has excellent flavor and does not break the bank.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great steaks, great service, but choose wisely”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

I loved my very peppery filet mignon au poivre, but my wife's diablo steak was (also) a bit overspiced, and the sides (spinach, potatoes) were nothing to write home about. Service was excellent.

Visited July 2013
Birmingham, AL
“Excellent steaks”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

Have been to this location several times while in DC for business, their filet is super tender, and they know how to cook them...I order mine rare, and they always come out perfect.

They don't have a lot of healthy choices for sides, but otherwise a great choice if you like steak.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Rockville, Maryland
“Overhyped”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

I have eaten at Ray's several times for business dinners, and am very unimpressed.

The menu is classic 80s steakhouse fare. The steak selection is plentiful and the steaks are largely cooked as ordered. The seafood and vegetarian options are OK if a bit boring.

The side dishes are tired an uninspired - garlic mashed potatoes, creamed spinach, steam broccoli. It seems as if garlic the only seasoning they know for sides.

If you want steak in DC, go to Bourbon Steak, BLT or Ruth's Chris.

Visited June 2013
virginia
“Worst treatment I have ever received from a restaurant in my life.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Tonight my husband and I walked out of a restaurant for the very first time in our lives. I ordered a 16 oz medium rare ny strip and my husband ordered a 20 oz medium strip. My steak was well done one cm around on the outside and light pink in the center. Medium rare steak should be red in the center, a little bloody. I returned the steak. I expected maybe a polite apology and a new steak but instead the waiter and then chef came out to yell at me not once not twice but THREE times! The chef refused to cook me another NY strip because he said that I couldn't handle that cut of steak and I MUST eat a filet mignon because it's a more tender steak. He then went on to say that not only was he not going to cook me another NY strip, he was going to cook the fiet mignon rare because he just knew I was going to hate it and both steaks were going into the trash. "Two steaks in the trash!" was exactly what he said over and over again. The final straw was when the chef came back out with a RAW steak and showed a layer of fat on the steak. He insisted that I was CUTTING MY STEAK wrong, lol! A medium steak and medium rare steak shouldn't come out looking the same color I pointed out. He insisted that that was because my husband and I had two different cuts of meat but as I recall we both ordered the strip just different styles.

First of all if this chef believes ppl are going to hate his cooking he should not be cooking in the first place. Second, if he is worried about trashing his steak he should eat it himself. But yeah I definitely feel like this man has some serious attitude problems and management should not have let him talk to the customers. Actually I am glad I found out he was this rude and walked out because he might have spit in my steak.

We will never come back after being treated so rudely. Please do yourself a favor and eat elsewhere! If there was a BBB for restaurants Id give it an F!

• Visited July 2013