“Great steaks, great service, but choose wisely” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Families with children, Outdoor seating, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great steaks, great service, but choose wisely”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

I loved my very peppery filet mignon au poivre, but my wife's diablo steak was (also) a bit overspiced, and the sides (spinach, potatoes) were nothing to write home about. Service was excellent.

Visited July 2013

78% Recommend
Birmingham, AL
“Excellent steaks”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

Have been to this location several times while in DC for business, their filet is super tender, and they know how to cook them...I order mine rare, and they always come out perfect.

They don't have a lot of healthy choices for sides, but otherwise a great choice if you like steak.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Rockville, Maryland
“Overhyped”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

I have eaten at Ray's several times for business dinners, and am very unimpressed.

The menu is classic 80s steakhouse fare. The steak selection is plentiful and the steaks are largely cooked as ordered. The seafood and vegetarian options are OK if a bit boring.

The side dishes are tired an uninspired - garlic mashed potatoes, creamed spinach, steam broccoli. It seems as if garlic the only seasoning they know for sides.

If you want steak in DC, go to Bourbon Steak, BLT or Ruth's Chris.

Visited June 2013
virginia
“Worst treatment I have ever received from a restaurant in my life.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Tonight my husband and I walked out of a restaurant for the very first time in our lives. I ordered a 16 oz medium rare ny strip and my husband ordered a 20 oz medium strip. My steak was well done one cm around on the outside and light pink in the center. Medium rare steak should be red in the center, a little bloody. I returned the steak. I expected maybe a polite apology and a new steak but instead the waiter and then chef came out to yell at me not once not twice but THREE times! The chef refused to cook me another NY strip because he said that I couldn't handle that cut of steak and I MUST eat a filet mignon because it's a more tender steak. He then went on to say that not only was he not going to cook me another NY strip, he was going to cook the fiet mignon rare because he just knew I was going to hate it and both steaks were going into the trash. "Two steaks in the trash!" was exactly what he said over and over again. The final straw was when the chef came back out with a RAW steak and showed a layer of fat on the steak. He insisted that I was CUTTING MY STEAK wrong, lol! A medium steak and medium rare steak shouldn't come out looking the same color I pointed out. He insisted that that was because my husband and I had two different cuts of meat but as I recall we both ordered the strip just different styles.

First of all if this chef believes ppl are going to hate his cooking he should not be cooking in the first place. Second, if he is worried about trashing his steak he should eat it himself. But yeah I definitely feel like this man has some serious attitude problems and management should not have let him talk to the customers. Actually I am glad I found out he was this rude and walked out because he might have spit in my steak.

We will never come back after being treated so rudely. Please do yourself a favor and eat elsewhere! If there was a BBB for restaurants Id give it an F!

• Visited July 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Anniversary Dinner, Always Great Dining (STEAKS!)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

We visited for an anniversary dinner. The steaks at Rays are always top notch. The preparation is always seasoned and cooked to perfection.

This visit was no exception. The service was fantastic, the sides are wonderful. There is nothing bad or critical that I can add... this is an outstanding experience every time.

Thank you!!

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Been to Ray's the Steaks? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Ray's the Steaks, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.