“Great Food and Value” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Great Food and Value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Ray's the Steaks is in the exploding Clarendon / Courthouse area of Arlington, VA. The setting is non-discript, but the attentiveness of staff, the range of the selections, the quality of the food (esp. the steaks) and the incedible value for the portions makes this a NoVA must. I have been there twice and came away both satisfied and well-fed. As good a meal as places with 3X the price tage.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

78% Recommend
Arlington, Virginia
“expensive steakhouse”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

the food was good but no atmosphere for the prices I like ruth chris if
I am paying high dollar on food the atmosphere much better and our service was great

Windsor, Colorado
“Great Steak for a Reasonable Price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

Ray's the Steaks' steaks are as good as Ruth's Chris, but you'll spend less. They have a wide variety of steaks for every taste and appetite. I had the NY Strip Special with crab bisque. All the meals come with family style mashed potatoes and creamed spinach. I'm not a creamed spinach fan, but the mashed potatoes were very good as was my 12oz NY Strip. I may go back tonight.

Visited February 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

When my wife and I tried “Ray’s the Steaks” with a visiting friend, I opted for what seemed to be a signature dish – the T-bone from the “dry aged cuts,” which the menu describes as “peerless flavor and texture, for the true connoisseur, aged in house 45 days, butchered and hand trimmed daily.” At $41, it was the most expensive dish (with the exception of some selections for two). What I found was a steak that had quite a bit of gristle that I had to cut around, and meat that really was not so flavorful or exceptionally tender. Too late, I realized that I should have tried one of the restaurant’s New York strip or rib-eye steaks, which is what I usually choose. Despite the disappointing initial foray, I’m willing to go back to check out another steak, perhaps the “Cajun rib-eye.”

The sherried crab bisque was richly flavored, creamy, and with good-sized chunks of crab, a real stand-out like the waitress promised. Management seems to have taken previous criticisms to heart, since patrons can now make table reservations. I was told that a table was only available at 6:00 a.m. or after 9:00, so we took the earlier seating. We were led immediately to our table, and our dishes were delivered quite quickly. My wife and our friend were a bit embarrassed to order off the short seafood listing, but they both liked their selections – blackened salmon and crab cakes. The high ceiling and the close placement of the tables means the background noise is quite intrusive, which I didn’t like.

With tip, the tab for my wife and I came to $95. We did not order wine or beer, however.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Woodbridge, Virginia
“Very, very good steakhouse”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

My significant other loves this place. Atmosphere is nice, not as elegant as Ruth's Chris in Tysons but also not as pricey. Portions and price are reasonable. Good place to go for a special night. Service is excellent and friendly.

Visited July 2012