“Mediocre food and high prices” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: African, Middle Eastern
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Arlington, Virginia
“Mediocre food and high prices”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

I was using a discount coupon and did takeout: ordered online and the food was ready exactly when it was supposed to be. I ordered the Moussaka and it was mediocre (no standout in terms of flavoring). The accompanying rice was cooked well. Accompany pita was average at best. Compared to a visit to the restaurant about 8 years ago, I thought it had gone downhill. Had I been paying full price, I would have thought this was very expensive for what you got. Also, I would never choose to eat at the restaurant because of the pervasive hookah (smoke) smell. There are better Mid-eastern/Lebanese choices in Arlington, including Lebanese Taverna (better food at slightly cheaper prices), and Fettoush (about 1/2 mile east of Layalina -- no atmosphere but better food and definitely cheaper price).

• Visited August 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars

London
“OK”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

Having read the review on this website I decided to try this place but I can't say that I was too impressed. Food was OK but lacked the flavour you would expect from Middle Eastern food though the bread was excellent. Service was fast but felt somewhat awkward.

Visited June 2012
Frankfurt, Germany
“Good Food, Good Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

Went there on a Friday night. Was kind of concerned on the past hit-or-miss reviews, but they delivered. I'd say a solid 3.5 - 4. Waiters (definitely family) were kind & prompt. Food was great & had a good variety of food on the menu, even had the regional beer & wine selections. Great decorations. No wait on Friday at 6:30. Was a little on the pricey side (little over $50 for the two of us including 1 beer & 1 glass of wine).

• Visited May 2012
Fairfax, Virginia
“Yummy food, would go back!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

I went here recently with my bf. We wanted to try a new kind of cuisine, so we didn't know what we were ordering but just picked blindly off their menu.

We had two yoghurt based dips for the flat bread-- one was a popular white and thick yoghurt dip, the other had red beets blended in it. It was both rich and refreshing, and seemed like comfort food even though I've never eaten something like that before. For our main dish we shared an eggplant dish which was very creamy also with some yoghurt base, and some crispy chips or something in it. This too was rich but refreshing (must be the yoghurt) and seemed some healthy comfort food. So, three random orders, and they were all delicious! So we'll be back to try more again sometime! We ordered a baklava for dessert, and although the texture was great, it had a flowery flavored honey that I didn't care for. Service was great, oh and the restaurant is decorated so festively and beautifully! See the pictures online... tapestries hanging from the ceilings, unique lamps, lots of pretty ethnic visual objects. We went during the day, but I think I'd like to go back in the evening for an enchanting atmosphere.

One negative aspect is the parking. There are only two parking spaces infront of the street front restaurant. Fortunately, we were the only people in the restaurant when we arrived-- but if we came back at a busier time, I'm not sure where we'd park! But-- amazing food. So, we'll take our chances on the parking.

• Visited April 2012
Delaware County
“Delicious food, comfortable atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

We met a group of 6 friends for Sunday lunch at Layalina and had a wonderful time. The service was efficient and friendly and the food was delicious. There was a mix of orders from several small plates and a few entrees and the portions were generous. The menu is very reasonably priced too. We will definitely go back again and recommend it highly to others who are looking for a comfortable place to meet friends, delicious food, and a welcoming atmosphere.

• Visited February 2012