“Mediocre food and high prices” 3 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #259 of 693 Restaurants in Arlington
Cuisines: African, Middle Eastern
Good for: Families with children, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Reservations
Arlington, Virginia
“Mediocre food and high prices”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

I was using a discount coupon and did takeout: ordered online and the food was ready exactly when it was supposed to be. I ordered the Moussaka and it was mediocre (no standout in terms of flavoring). The accompanying rice was cooked well. Accompany pita was average at best. Compared to a visit to the restaurant about 8 years ago, I thought it had gone downhill. Had I been paying full price, I would have thought this was very expensive for what you got. Also, I would never choose to eat at the restaurant because of the pervasive hookah (smoke) smell. There are better Mid-eastern/Lebanese choices in Arlington, including Lebanese Taverna (better food at slightly cheaper prices), and Fettoush (about 1/2 mile east of Layalina -- no atmosphere but better food and definitely cheaper price).

• Visited August 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

London
“OK”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

Having read the review on this website I decided to try this place but I can't say that I was too impressed. Food was OK but lacked the flavour you would expect from Middle Eastern food though the bread was excellent. Service was fast but felt somewhat awkward.

Visited June 2012
Frankfurt, Germany
“Good Food, Good Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

Went there on a Friday night. Was kind of concerned on the past hit-or-miss reviews, but they delivered. I'd say a solid 3.5 - 4. Waiters (definitely family) were kind & prompt. Food was great & had a good variety of food on the menu, even had the regional beer & wine selections. Great decorations. No wait on Friday at 6:30. Was a little on the pricey side (little over $50 for the two of us including 1 beer & 1 glass of wine).

• Visited May 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Fairfax, Virginia
“Yummy food, would go back!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

I went here recently with my bf. We wanted to try a new kind of cuisine, so we didn't know what we were ordering but just picked blindly off their menu.

We had two yoghurt based dips for the flat bread-- one was a popular white and thick yoghurt dip, the other had red beets blended in it. It was both rich and refreshing, and seemed like comfort food even though I've never eaten something like that before. For our main dish we shared an eggplant dish which was very creamy also with some yoghurt base, and some crispy chips or something in it. This too was rich but refreshing (must be the yoghurt) and seemed some healthy comfort food. So, three random orders, and they were all delicious! So we'll be back to try more again sometime! We ordered a baklava for dessert, and although the texture was great, it had a flowery flavored honey that I didn't care for. Service was great, oh and the restaurant is decorated so festively and beautifully! See the pictures online... tapestries hanging from the ceilings, unique lamps, lots of pretty ethnic visual objects. We went during the day, but I think I'd like to go back in the evening for an enchanting atmosphere.

One negative aspect is the parking. There are only two parking spaces infront of the street front restaurant. Fortunately, we were the only people in the restaurant when we arrived-- but if we came back at a busier time, I'm not sure where we'd park! But-- amazing food. So, we'll take our chances on the parking.

• Visited April 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Food quality has dropped consistently”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

After three meals recently at Layalina that can only be described as terrible, I must revise my earlier review. Something has happened in the kitchen. I don't know what but something is terribly wrong. We recently visited on a Monday evening. Our main courses appeared to have been thrown together from bits and pieces in the refrigerator. The food was not even warm ... it should have been hot. That was our third really bad experience at Layalina, and not again. The time before, the main course had made me ill.

• Visited April 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Been to Layalina? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Layalina, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.