“Excellent Food, Good Service” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Latin, Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Outdoor seating
Dining options: Reservations
Arlington, Virginia
“Excellent Food, Good Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013 via mobile

This isn't your typicL Mexican restaurant. It doesn't look like much from the outside, but the food had much more subtlty and depth of flavor than the usual enchiladas smothered in cheese that you get at most Mexican places. I had the Pollo Relleno which was chicken stuffed with goat cheese and covered in a lovely green sauce. It came with a salad that included corn and pickled onion slices for added texture and flavor. The black beans that came with the dish had a nice smoky flavor. My husband and son had a seafood dish that was really a stew with scallops, shrip and calamari, rice and veggies. They loved it - ate every bite and thought about licking their plates. Our daughter had fish tacos that she said were excellent and served on handmade corn tortillas. The servers were very friendly, and the service was excellent even on a very busy night.

Visited April 2013

80% Recommend
Arlington, Virginia
“Good Mexican, A Little Different”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

My spouse and I have visited this place a couple of times. The menu is more than your average Mexican and I encourage sampling of something new and different; I think this place really excels in the less common Mexican fare. For instance, I was not terribly impressed when I orderd a burrito, but when I ordered one of the less traditional entrees the next time, I was very pleased. The service has typically been very good, even when the place is busy. We'll go back.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Arlington, Virginia
“Good service, great food, and a nice warm vibe = a nice Friday night.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

I'd never heard of the place, but an out-of-town friend said her hotel had recommended it. I was sad to see it was jam-packed when we arrived -- and no four-top available in spite of the reservation we'd made -- but the host seated us quickly since we ended up just being two. The ceviche is awesome, and the chips and salsa and....cheesy sour cream dip?....ended up filling the whole table before we'd even ordered our entrees. The five taco plate was yummalicious, and my boyfriend enjoyed his three enchiladas platter, too. We both ordered the Top Shelf margarita, but I'm trying to pay more attention to my blood sugar and so asked for agave syrup to sub for the sour mix. The first iteration was quite sweet, but the attentive server took my request for "less sweet" back to the bartender, and the second version was tangier.

It's quite loud -- a significant down-side to an otherwise awesome venue -- and I think perhaps they could add some padding of some sort on the walls to tone down the noise. But to have a good buzz on a Friday night is always a good idea!

Good service, great food, and a nice warm vibe = a nice Friday night.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Washington, DC
“Consistently good and interesting Mexican food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Guajillo and Fuego (in Clarendon) are the two places in Arlington that I go back to time and time again for Mexican food. Both offer much more than just the standard burritos and tacos. Guajillo's seafood and mole dishes are particularly noteworthy--as are their Margaritas.

Visited February 2013
Wallingford, Connecticut
“This place is so good!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

We went here on a whim one night while staying at a local hotel. I am so glad we did! I am from California and have not found a good Mexican place since I moved (I am in New England now), and this one totally hit the spot. The service was excellent and the waitstaff was very friendly and helpful. This is a small place, but luckily we didn't have to wait for a table when we went on a Friday night around 8:30. The margarita's were very good, the ceviche we ordered was to die for, and the chips and salsa they give you is amazing. I ordered the 5 taco plate and I was very impressed. I am craving it now! I wish I lived here, because this would be my new favorite spot!

• Visited February 2013