“A Before Theater Treat”

There are newer reviews for Carlyle Grand Cafe
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“A Before Theater Treat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

We tried the Carlyle Cafe for a Valentines Dinner treat before the Signature Theater play at 8pm.
The restaurant was unexpectedly very busy with an hour wait at 6pm on a Saturday night. We didn't want to go back out on the street to find another less busy restaurant, since this one had such good reviews. So we waited 10 min for two seats together at the bar. The bar staff was very friendly, while extremely busy. I was amazed at their efficient style. The menu provided a wide range of tastes. We ordered dinner at the bar and it came in a short time. The appetizer was an delicious egg roll and the shrimp salad main course was just excellent. The prices were reasonable, and the atmosphere busy but entertaining. So we even had time for a sweet dessert of chocolate bread pudding. I am so glad we stayed and enjoyed our before-theater treat. The wait staff was very attentive and overflowing with hospitality. I believed they were happy we chose to eat there.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
“What a happy treat!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

We g=have been to the Carlyle on a number of occasions. First of all do not miss their Lobster Bisque. A meal in itsself and the price is right!

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Arlington, Virginia
“nice restaurant in shirlington”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

ther food has always been good very consistant but the bar area seems
to be closed for lunch whenever we are there which doesn't make sense
to me they should have outside tables in the summer

Alexandria, Virginia
“Bad front of the house...disappointed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Heard nothing about great things about the Carlyle, good food, great service and great location. However, my friends and I went there on a Saturday night for dinner before a black tie event in DC. Let's say we left disappointed.

With Carlyle, they don't accept reservations, but you can call ahead (30-45 mins prior) and put your name on the list. We called ahead, and majority of group arrived on time. However, the hostess wouldn't sit us until our entire party had arrived (despite the fact I told the hostess our missing member was just parking the vehicle). Once our last guest arrived, I notified the hostess that we were all here; the hostess gave me a pager to told me to wait. I asked how long it would be and she said she would get back with me. 10 mins past and I went back up to inquire. The hostess said "oh, another 20-30" mins. 20 mins passed and we inquired again about our table. Apparently they bumped us down to the bottom of the wait list since we were missing one of our guests (reminder, the missing guest was just parking the car). To say the least, we were upset and asked to speak to the manager. The same lady who checked me in claimed she was the manager but didn't apologize or admit their mistake. Our party so disappointed that we immediately left the restaurant.

I may try the Carlyle again, but will think twice before doing so.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Fairfax Station, Virginia
“Consistently great food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

We eat at Carlyle so often that sometimes we refer to it as out other kitchen! The food is always good but my favorite meal is their crab-cakes. Try their sweet potato fries too, yum! The service has always been excellent too.

• Visited December 2012