“Usually consistent food, they are more concerned with turning tables than good service!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Carlyle Grand Cafe

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 686 Restaurants in Arlington
Cuisines: American, French
Good for: Romance, Bar scene, Large groups, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Description: High energy, American bistro with seasonal outside dining and year round classic fare. A perennial brunch favorite.
Alexandria, VA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2011

We have been dining here for years, but the last few have been very poor when compared to previous years!
We have almost stopped dining here, the last three visits have been less than stellar.
Last night, I ordered the Tuna Salad, my wife ordered the Salmon, her Salmon was way over cooked, our dog really enjoyed it!

No one ever came around to ask us how our meal was! That used to never happen, I can say that I haven't seen a Manager come around the last three visits!
The dessert we ordered , the flourless chocolate waffle was good, but it was ruined by the waiter literally dropping the bill on the table and running off!
Needless to say our dinner was over at that point, that was extremely rude!
I have never not finished a dessert here, untill last night, it just gave me instant indigestion because of the lousy service.

The visit before this one our appetizer, salad and dinner showed up before our wine did!

The time before that I had two bills because again the bill was put down way before we finished our meal!

Tips for a good experience:
Tell the server before hand not to bring the bill before asking!
If you order wine, wait for the wine to be served before ordering anything else!
Wait for every course to arrive before ordering the next one!
Otherwise if your looking for a peaceful relaxed meal it will not happen!

The food here is good 75% of the time, sometimes too salty or overcooked.

But it is not what it used to be by far!

So if you go here armed with this information, especially if your having wine, which they do not know how to serve, just be prepared and you will enjoy your meal, other wise you will be not happy!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Annandale, Virginia
“Playing hard to get”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2011

I wanted to schedule my wife's birthday party there on Friday December 2nd and it was an Odyssey. I got the call before card and called as direct 4 hours before the time I wanted to reserve.
Then I was told to call 90 minutes before the time; at which time I was told that when I got to the restaurant I would be given a beeper to let me know when the table was ready.
Major glitch: there were 9 people in my party; that was a major problem: only 8 people maximum can be seated at a table;
that would mean we needed 2 tables for our birthday party of nine;
"Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee that the second table will be close to the first"...
I gave up and made a reservation at the Italian restaurant close to the movie theater.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great food, responsive service and a decor and atmosphere to match”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2011

An excellent experience last night. The food (pecan encrusted trout and chicken sandwich) were both very tasty recipes AND well prepared. And service, while a bit different, ie, our waiter was not the one caring for our every need, but instead about 5 different people handles different elements and all staff was responsive to whatever we needed and got us in and out in time to make the show. Oh, and the decor was beautiful also.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Springfield, Virginia
“Great atmosphere for group get together; good, not great, food...pricey”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2011

We went to Carlyle with a friend of ours. There were four of us including myself...my wife, daughter and our friend. It was right in the middle of the Friday night dinner scene, but the wait was not bad. The architecture and decor of the place is very nice...outside seating is there when the weather is warmer. The bar scene looked lively, although the beer selection was sorta limited...wine list looked better and I'm sure you can get a bunch of different cocktails. For dinner we started with calamari and red pepper shrimp; both were very good. The various breads on the table came from the restaurant's bakery next door, and was very good as well. My wife and her girlfriend shared the roasted chicken salad, my daughter had the crab cakes, and I had the shrimp and grit cakes. The salad was a nice size and was good, nothing special. The crab cakes were well done and were probably the best dish. Not sure what they were trying to do with the shrimp and grits...the grit cakes were very good, but the shrimp concoction was very salty...so salty I probably should have sent it back. The dish contained shrimp and Smithfield ham, and it tasted as if the chef seasoned the sauce separately and then added the ham. It also looked as if the shrimp were added after the sauce was made, since they looked suspiciously like the appetizer shrimp. For desert we had the bread pudding, flour-less chocolate waffle, and the pumpkin cheese cake...all were outstanding. The servers were very well trained and spot on...great job. Price was $140 before tip, and that was essentially for three entrees...a little pricey for what we got, although there were a couple of apps and two glasses of wine in that total. All-in-all, this is a great place for a get together with friends (several large tables were there when we sat down, and were still going when we left), and the bar scene looked lively. For foodies, there are probably much better options in the Arlington area. The overall experience makes up for the pretty good, but not great, food, and the higher prices.

• Visited November 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Monterey, California
“Wonderful time and highly recommend!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011 via mobile

If you ask any of the locals (I mean Shirlington locals) where to eat they are surely to point you in this direction. The staff, service and especially the food was superb. It is a little pricey but any where nowadays in the DMV area is proud of their dishes. Also there is no Metro to Shirlington but you can take the bus, hitch a ride on one of the hotel shuttles, taxi or brave the parking. Regardless its worth the trip and I highly recommend this place.

• 5 of 5 stars Food