“Great Neighborhood Restaurant” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe Italia I is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #128 of 675 restaurants in Arlington
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Jeferson Davis Hwy
Transit: ART-ARLINGTON TRANSIT The ART of getting around Arlington. ART operates within Arlington County, providing access to Metrorail and supplementing Metrobus with smaller, neighborhood-friendly vehicles. CommuterDirect.com.FAIRFAX CONNECTOR The Fairfax Connector bus system runs seven days a week.
Germantown, Tennessee
“Great Neighborhood Restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

My son just recently moved to the Crystal City area and had already been to the Cafe Italia once or twice. We went late on a Saturday. Great "local" - non-chain atmosphere. We were quickly greeted and seated. Fatima also quickly took out order and was was very atentive the entire eveneing. My son had Veal Cristina and I had the Pasta Platter. We were both happy. With respect to the Pasta Platter, I liked the Cannolli and Lasagne more than the Manicotti. They have a decent selection of Italian wines at very reasonable by the bottle prices. I will definitely go back when visiting or working in the DC area.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

66% Recommend
Montreal, Canada
“Pleasantly Surprised”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012 via mobile

I didn't want to walk too far from my hotel and was looking for a delicious plate of spaghetti after checking in to my hotel. Luckily I ended up at Cafe Italia ristorante. The service was absolutely beautiful, the restaurant had an old world European warmth to it and the pasta sauce was amazing. What more can a person hope for on a Monday night.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Long Beach, CA
“Old School Atmosphere, great service and good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Italian as you would expect it, lots of menu choices, friendly staff and a old-school checkerboard tablecloth and wine bottle laden atmosphere. I had the stuffed mushrooms as an appetizer which was just average and the putanesca which was pretty good. The price was average and they do offer value-conscious set menus.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“"Carbo-loading for Marine Corps Marathon"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

Even with the crowd of the Marine Corps Marathon coming in to get the best carbs in Crystal City, they were able to seat a party of 2 within 5 minutes, and not a long wait for slightly larger parties. The waiters and staff, while swamped with tables, were able to maintain their friendly composure and make us feel welcome. The food was excellent! One of the freshest red sauces that I've had in a while.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Only for those who have not experienced decent Italian-American cuisine”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

As someone who grew up in Chicago (with outstanding Italian-American cuisine) and lived for five years in Rome, I found my recent meal at Cafe Italia as indescribable, as in indescribably bad. Despite the names of the dishes, they are neither quality Italian nor Italian-American. The pasta is overcooked, limp and starchy, the cheese is a gooey, like one finds in a tube in Europe, the bread is dry but not crunchy, the sauces are uninspired and the wine is best and favorably described as alcoholic. I thought I might do well with a dinner salad, but even that had no crisp greens.

Since I was a guest, I ate sparingly, returning home for some nice wine and cheese.

But...if you have a family in tow, and you and your kids are satisfied with sit-down comfort food at a reasonable price, this may be your place. Otherwise, steer clear. Crystal City is NOT the place to go. Instead, drive to nearby Alexandria to the Del Ray area or Old Town. The selection of quality restaurants in either area is excellent.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere