“Food awesome, service subpar” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #14 of 693 Restaurants in Arlington
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Romance, Doing business
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 23rd Street
Transit: Metro: Yellow & Blue Lines, Crystal City Stop
Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
“Food awesome, service subpar”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

The food at Ruth's Chris is always awesome and this was the first time I ate there in DC. The food was delicious but the service was awful. We were bombarded with 3 waiters in the beginning but then we barely saw anyone. A gentleman next to us said something about he had been going there for 17 years and spending $20,000 and this was the worst service he had ever received. We heard the waiter tell the manager, but the manager never spoke with the gentleman. For the price we pay, they can hire better servers. But the food is very good.

Manassas, Virginia
“Planes Trains & Automobiles”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

My wife and I have been here several times. It's easy to over do it as everything is so wonderfully prepared. I've found that a petite fillet (medium), some spuds, a couple glasses of wine and splitting a creme brulee is more than enough to send me home happy without going overboard. We alternate been here and the Tyson's Corner Fleming's when a special dinner is desired. This location, which overlooks Reagan airport, is awesome. There's something special about watching the planes come and go!

• Visited October 2012
“Inconsistent”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

For what purports to be a "high end" restaurant, the place could use a lot of improvement. The greeters, waiters and service are all in the very average category, but you'd expect more from Ruth's Chris and at these prices. The entrees are generally above average, but the side dishes are not. In Arlington (this location) overlooking National Airport, the view is excellent. But there appears to be no dress code whatsoever, so the elegance of the atmosphere and the location is severely diluted by the blue jeans next to your business table. Bottom line, you can get a really good steak, but there are several much better places around Washington to pay a lot for that really good steak. And you don't have to deal with the inconsistencies, even in food, that afflict Ruth's Chris. Go, but go knowing what to expect and you won't be disappointed.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Moo: Yum!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

As Hubby and I live in a high rise condo, there is very limited “grilling” available. I have to cook our steaks in a grill pan, and Hubby has to clean up the mess afterward. Hence, one of the easiest meals to prepare outside is one we like to have out – that is a good steak, done right. And any good Washingtonian knows the place to head is Ruth's Chris Steakhouse – the best view is had at their place in Crystal City, Arlington. Some say Morton’s, some say The Palm, but Ruth's Chris puts a lot of thought into feeding people.

We side-tracked on our way home Friday night to Ruth's Chris. The restaurant in Crystal City is on the top floor of a great office building, facing Washington National Airport. Valet parking is available for $5.

The décor is very steakhouse-meets-comfortable. Comfortable chairs, ample table space. And one thing we really appreciate: The hostess/host showing you to your table notes the color of clothing you have on, and if a dark color, whisks the white napkins off the table and presents a black one. No more leaving with white lint all over black slacks.

The wait staff here is great. They immediately figure out if you just want to be left alone, or if you would like a little verbal give and take. They know their menu very well. Bar staff not only knew what a sloe gin fizz was, but made a good one.

Ok, now the part we really came for: The dead cow. We both started with Caesar salads, then the filet (we have been choosing leaner cuts recently, or else that porterhouse would have been on the table) and a side of what we call onion grass. Thinly sliced onion, dredged in flour and then fried crisp. It was not on the menu, but when I asked our wait staff about it, he assured me the kitchen would be happy to make it. Wow! A kitchen with flexibility. Our steaks were perfectly prepared. Disclaimer here: It comes with melted butter on top, which I had forgotten about. Next time, I’ll ask sans butter, as that was just too much richness for me. There was so much meat for both of us, the remainder of the steaks came home to be many more meals.

It was fun to watch the jets take off and land at National (note I refuse to call it by any other name save its correct name.)

Prices are what would be expected for a steakhouse in a major metro area. If you are in the mood for a good hunk of moo, think Ruth's Chirs.

• Visited August 2013
Fairfax Station, Virginia
“Anniversary Dinner Disaster”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

We have been Ruth's Chris customers for many years. Our first experience was at the original location in New Orleans in the 1980's. We have visited many locations through the years celebrating many specials occasions. On June 14, 2013 while celebrating our 44th Anniversary, I was appalled at the treatment we received at the Crystal City location. My husband has battled the after-effects of oral cancer treatment and survives on a liquid diet. Because of this, he cannot "eat" out so only ordered lobster bisque as his entree. We do not drink, so our tab only reflects food. Our dinner arrived and was delicious, as always; however, we waited for 40 minutes after finishing for attention from our waiter. We then waited another 30 minutes while a "special" dessert was created for us. Needless to say, by this time I was so angry that I could not eat a bite. When I approached the manager on our way out to discuss this situation, he shook his head and asked what I wanted him to do. His lack of customer service/management skills was pathetic.

• Visited June 2013