“Highly recommended” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Highly recommended”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

During a recent stay in the area I had the pleasure of eating several dinners here. The meals were delicious and plentiful. The service was friendly and attentive. A gem.

Visited August 2013

McLean, Virginia
“My kind of restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

Lets start with the obvious: the number one reason to go there is that during and after dinner
you and your company feel good.
It starts with the owners: Mihali and Kalia, he a Cornell graduate in chemistry and hotel school, she a veteran restaurant executive and both of them veteran owners of several restaurants in the metro area.
And it is their chemistry of providing their quests with good to exceptional Greek dishes, affordable prices, a rarity of Greek staff, all of them with accents of a throwback era and with a personal attention that extents to the kitchen producing a special plate for you at any given night.
As my wife reminds me this is the place that you own without any the problems of ownership.
Choice of great dishes vary but try the succulent roast lamb, the divine taramosalata, the stuffed grape leaves, roast oven potatoes, makaroni with mitzithra, one of the best ever salad dressings topping your horiatiki salad and for that matter anything else in the menu.
Kalia, who is tireless, will describe the choices and attend your needs.
After you become a regular Mihali, who usually comes out of the kitchen around 10 pm,
will visit your table and involve you into a wonderful conversation of life, including his joke of the day.
Food: 17/20
Decor: 12/20
Ambiance: 20/20
Value: 20/20

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
“Dumpy on the outside, gem on the inside”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

A friend found this restaurant on Yelp.com and sent us the link. We walked to it from the Hyatt Regency (15-20 min). As one can guess from the attached photo, upon arrival my wife and I stopped dead in our tracks wondering whether we should even enter the place. I looked around the parking lot and noticed many nice cars and just then a well dressed, classy woman got out of her car and went in, so we decided to brave it. The interior was just fine, nothing special, a standard Greek restaurant with Greek decor. From then on, everything just got better.

We were greeted by friendly server and then by the manager/owner, with whom I had an extensive chat (in Greek) about allergies. She was great and knew everything we asked about in the kitchen. The excellent service continued throughout the two hours we were there. Our water glasses never got lower than half-filled. The food arrived at once, brought out by 2-3 waiters. We sampled a number of dishes: calamari (good), spankopitakia (little ones, excellent spinach and feta filling), grilled salmon with Greek herbes (very good), but my son hit the jackpot with the bifteki (large ground beef patty with Greek spices and au-jus type sauce). The bifteki was to die for. Fortunately my son could not eat all of it, so my wife and I got to enjoy it as well.

Athena Pallas is off the beaten path (it is on 22nd St in Arlington, behind restaurant-row which is on 23rd St), but well worth a visit. Next time I am in DC I'm heading there for a bifteki, and will be hard pressed to share!

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Just go!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

Friendly, comfortable, excellent food. Excellent staff know their menu and chef. Quirky area / neighborhood opens to a nice surprise and bright dining room which puts you at ease with friendly team and authentic Greek cuisine. Just go!

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Elyria, Ohio
“Yum!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

My husband loves Greek food so we had to check this place out. The atmosphere is...homey. It's obviously a family-run place. The food was great. My husband had spanakopita and I had grilled chicken. The service was good (not great). Both were delicious. We took baklava back to the hotel with us and had it for breakfast the next morning. DOUBLE YUM!

• Visited July 2013