You added Residence Inn by Marriott Arlington Ballston to your Saves list
GreenLeadersGold level
Moundsville, WV
“Best Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014 via mobile

We enjoyed everything about this hotel. The front desk people were always super nice and greeted people as they entered the building and were always very helpful. The room was spotless clean and quiet. The evening meal we had at the hotel one evening was excellent and plentiful. We also enjoyed the breakfast each day.
The hotel is in a great location with restaurants and shopping nearby. There is a grocery store right down the street. It is also an easy walk to the nearest metro station.
We will definitely stay here again and recommend it to everyone.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Michael G, General Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Arlington Ballston, responded to this review, August 18, 2014
We have to agree with you review title! Thank you for taking the time to let us know of your stay and we appreciate your kind words. We hope to see you back on your next trip to Arlington so we can once again "wow" you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

I recently stayed here for one night over a weekend, and highly recommend this property. Check in was smooth, and as a Marriott Gold Member upgraded to a 1 bedroom apartment like room with two queen beds in the bedroom, pullout in living area and a full kitchen. My room was on the 9th floor (I believe the hotel has 11 floors), and was very quiet). This would be a great extended stay room. The hotel is a little over a year old, and looks more like a new Marriott versus Residence Inn Marriot with modern furnishing, color scheme. The pool is indoors and a nice size on the 2nd floor with plenty of natural light. I didn't get a chance to check out the pool. I saw many families staying here and using this as a base for D.C. sightseeing (The metro is less than 10 minute walk). There were restaurants within walking distance. This area is seeing a great deal of commercial and residential development as there were two construction sites near the hotel. The included breakfast was great, better than most with a great variety of hot and cold foods. Overall, very happy, I would stay at this property again.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your review and we are all excited that you found your stay enjoyable. We offer many amenities to our guests so it is wonderful that you were able to utilize a few of them. We appreciate your loyalty to Marriott hotels and we look forward to seeing you again soon!
Fairfax, VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

There are several things that the hotel management can do in this hotel to make it up to the par of it's condition. It's a new, great looking hotel. Super ambiance. There are a few cons:

1. Front Desk. Yep I had to put this first because honestly they really don't even try. They have the classic 'you're cutting into my doing nothing time, so why are you here' attitude.

2. MINOR Upkeep. This one is more simple than it sounds. There is a trash can at the elevators on the 8th floor. Someone has taken some aggression out on it and it is badly dented. Large dents. I brought this to the front desk staff's attention and they were nice about it (for once) but did nothing to replace it. Yuck. Looked like the trash can belonged on the street corner somewhere, not in a nicely decorated new hotel. Doubt they'll do anything about it anytime soon.

3. Breakfast. Ok folks, Let's put a little more effort into the breakfast options, ok? Some bacon would be nice, for instance. Maybe potatos that taste like they have SOME seasoning. Just a little extra effort. Also, if you say you're going to be open for breakfast at 7, be set up at 7, don't still be bringing utentils out at 7:10. And let's retire the broken waffle machines please. Not fun to try and eat a rubbery waffle because you have no idea when to take the waffle out because the beeper is broken and you end up cooking the waffle way too long. And when you've got a full house down at breakfast please try and keep the OJ and apple juice machine filled so guests don't get WATER instead of juice when they push the little button.

4. Housekeeping staff. I actually should've put this higher up on the list because there were several issues: 1) some weird 'gel' caked on the otherwise PRISTINE CLEAN shower curtain. I was super bummed by that. Was about to call the shower curtain the cleanest I've ever seen in a hotel but then the gel stuff took that title away quick. 2) I used a glass from the kitchen and left in the bathroom area and the housekeeping staff left the used glass in the bathroom after they cleaned the room. HUH?! REALLY?! 3) After cleaning the room and making the bed they put my daughters stuffed animals on the floor instead of putting them back on the bed where they were when we left for dinner. Not cool.

5. Pool! There is apparently nothing they can do now about the ridiculously small size of the pool since this is how they built this hotel, BUT they could try to control what goes on in the pool and not let guests SUPER loud and super rowdy young kids run amuck through the small area. My daughter and I just left a couple times and didn't come back til it quieted down. UUUGGHHH!

Overall we probably won't come back to this hotel for these reasons and also because there are a few others in the area that we like and the suites are a bit bigger.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Michael G, General Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Arlington Ballston, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Thank you for letting us know of your experience and I apologize that you had a few challenges while staying with us. I am surprised to hear the front desk comments as we have a highly rated team and almost all of the previous reviews mentions how attentive and accommodating they all are. I will make sure everyone in the hotel understands the importance of providing superior service to all of our guests. Thank you for notifying us of the trash can, the desk did report it and we have a new one ordered. Lastly, we rotate our breakfast items daily to ensure a good selection that does not get repetitive. I understand we do not offer every breakfast item but we will continue to evaluate ways to improve our selection as well.

I hope we have another opportunity to be your host on your next visit to Arlington so we can provide a memorable experience to you and your family.
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

I stayed here two nights largely to visit the DC sites with my kids. The hotel was immaculate, the staff was incredibly helpful, and the rooms were very large. We stayed in a one bedroom with two queens room, and we had plenty of space. The Ballston metro is a few blocks away but very walkable. There were many restaurants in the area. I would highly recommend this Residence Inn!

Room Tip: We were on a high floor and did not hear any elevator noise or hallway noise.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Michael G, General Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Arlington Ballston, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Great to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We enjoy serving all of our guests and always look to make each stay memorable. Thank you for you review and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Leland, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

We stopped here for a short visit, and found it to be perfect for us. The hotel is new and modern. The staff, from check in to breakfast room, and a few others in between, were all pleasant and helpful. I especially appreciated the person who took my call when we were driving, and helped guide me to Union Station, after I'd left without getting the info ahead of time. The breakfast selection, which is included, was impressive, from perfectly cooked eggs, sausage, biscuits and gravy, waffles and oatmeal, to assorted cereals and fresh fruit, along with assorted breads and muffins. The room was spotless. My only complaint is that the pillows were a bit too firm for me, and they all seemed to be the same. Having said that, my husband and daughter thought they were fine, and I am extremely particular. I get headaches if my head can't sink into the pillow :(. I absolutely will stay here when we return to the area, only I may bring my own pillow.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your review and we are happy that you enjoyed our food offering and were impressed with the team. We do have two different types of pillows so on your next visit please let us know you would prefer a softer pillow and we will be happy to make it happen. Thanks again!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014 via mobile

We only stayed one night but were impressed with the cleanliness and condition of the room and kitchen. There was a Keurig, so you could pack your favorite K-cups. Everything was immaculate; I felt like I was the first guest to stay there. The bathroom, though small, sparkled. The tub was cast iron with tiled walls. It looked as though it had just been completed. The staff at the front desk were very friendly, even remembering to ask who won the baseball game we attended the previous evening. The hot and cold breakfast buffet was above average, with sausages, eggs, biscuits and gravy, fresh cut fruit, waffles, yogurt, etc. Across the street is a good bagel shop and Buzz's Bakery. We went to Buzz's, which is wonderful with the best apple fritters I ever had - and delicious gluten-free muffins and scones. We are looking forward to our next stay!

• Stayed July 2014
Sounds like you had a great stay! Thank you for your kind words and the housekeeping team loved hearing about impressed you were with the room cleanliness. Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you again soon!
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

I'm not sure how old the hotel is but it feels brand new. The staff is awesome, just extra friendly and helpful. Our family of 5 stayed in a 2 bedroom suite and it worked great. It was nice to have common space, even with a 2 night stay. Breakfast was fine, above avg for a free breakfast. We ate outside on the patio and it was delightful. We ran outside and didn't use the gym, but it's in 2 rooms and is above avg for a hotel like this.

My only criticism is that the building likely needs another elevator, as we often had to wait a bit. Hard to fix that now.

Room Tip: 2 room suite is more expensive than two 1 room suites but it has 2 queen beds in one room and we wer...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that the two bedroom suite fit your needs. Thank you for the kind words and we look forward to seeing you again.

Been to Residence Inn by Marriott Arlington Ballston? Share your experiences!