“good stay” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
COLUMBIA
“good stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

Stayed mid July with two adults and two dogs in a one bedroom suite. The stay was pleasant and relaxing. Hotel is one block from the mall and there are several stores within walking distance. Positives were room space, bed comfort, variety of hot and cold breakfast, and parking. Although parking was $15 a day, I like the covered garage. Loved the kitchen area. The business area was useful with free printing; had to print event tickets. The negatives were a broken tub stopper which I took to room cleaner's attention, no privacy at sink near bedroom, slow elevator, and no good area to take dogs for doing their business. It was recommended that I walk them across the street to the park. Not a good idea. In the small hotel area out back, the dogs would have to pass through the eating area and besides there were no poop bags or even a trash can to put my own bags. I did not feel comfortable with that so I walked them through the garage up the ramp. I took this issue to the supervisor and left a note for the manager. Being this is a new place, I would hope they would improve on this area in the near future so that people with pets can feel comfortable in knowing their is a designated location without offending other patrons. I would like to thank them for compensating one night parking for my negative areas of disappointments. Overall, the stay was great and I would return. Conversation with Nikko and Johnathan was informative and accepting on both ends.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Michael G, General Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Arlington Ballston, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Thank you for your comments and it is great to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We are a pet friendly hotel and we love when our guests bring their pets. Our patio behind the hotel is not an area for dog walking as there are no grassy areas which is why we do not have pet waste bags available. Next to the hotel is a large park which is ideal for pet walking and exercise. Thank you again for taking the time to let us know of your stay and we hope to see you back soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Scranton, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for a visit to Washington DC and found it perfect. It was only 4 blocks from the Metro station that took approx 15 minutes to get to the Smithsonian metro station.
The hotel was immaculate and the staff supurb. Every staff member that we encountered went out of their way to help us.
We had a one bedroom suite for 4 people and there was plenty of room. It had a separate bedroom with a bathroom and a sleep sofa in the living room. A nice touch was a huge flat screen tv in both rooms. The kitchen was clean and well stocked with the necessities right down to paper towels, dish detergent, silverware and dishes.
The bed was very comfortable as was the sofabed.
The free breakfast was phenomenal... everything from scrambled eggs, fresh not frozen, meats, juices, pancakes, waffles, pastries, fruit and cereals/oatmeal. There was a nice sized dining room to eat plus an outdoor patio area to eat breakfast.
They have a great security feature for the elevators where you have to use your room key to operate the elevators.. loved that.
Parking was $15 per day and the parking garage was easy to access and very clean and well lit.
We brought a dog and there was a $100 non-refundable deposit that we were a bit disappointed with but that was the only negative to the hotel if you are a pet owner.

We would definitely recommend this hotel for a DC visit and will return there should we be in the need for a hotel in this area again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
The entire team is thrilled to hear of your satisfaction and we all thank you for letting the world know. We work diligently to ensure that our guests are supplied with everything they could need and it is good to hear that we succeeded with your stay. Thank you again and we look forward to see you again.
Den Haag
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed at many residence inn's and this one is my favorite! I love the style of all of the furnishing and fixtures. From the chairs in the lobby to the duvet ad pillows in the rooms ... Whoever styled this place has a real knack for eclectic class. Amazingly, it is close to everything one could need... Mere blocks from the metro and then mere blocks from the heart of "the District". Great staff very helpful and eager to greet and assist. Lasagna night was yummy and the crew are the friendliest I have experienced of all my R.I. recollections.

• Stayed July 2013
What a great review! Thank you for the kind words and we are happy to know that you enjoyed everything about the hotel and team. We are also ecstatic that we are your hotel of choice now. Thank you!
Charlotte
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights. First off the staff was very proactive in changing our room when my husband and I realized that it was not getting cooler after 30 minutes. The rooms were so large and decorated beautifully. The breakfast was good, but the Saturday we were there, I could not find anyone to clean off the table. I loved the outside patio with the fire pit and outdoor grill.
In all, it's a great place to stay for the money!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review and I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I also offer my apologies as the first room did not cool sufficiently, but it is great to know that the team took care of the situation to your satisfaction. Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to Arlington.
Dayton, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

Overall, one of the best residence Inns I've stayed at. I traveled out to the area for work and brought the family out too. We stayed here for 5 nights and overall, we had an excellent experience. The room was very clean and the newness of the property was apparent throughout. This hotel has a courtyard next to the dining area which was unique. The pool was actually staffed by a lifeguard at night.

The complimentary breakfast buffet was typical Residence Inn. The workers around the food and dining area were very helpful and attentive. As far as location is concerned, this hotel is actually located almost in the middle between the Ballston and Virginia Square Metro Stops (both Orange Line). These were each about a 10 minute walk (if that) each way. My wife did not have a problem doing this each day with my children. Yes, this is not as close of a location as being in the District but the parking is much cheaper (even at $15 per night) and there are lots of restaurant choices withing walking distance. We were able to find parking easily. This is a good choice if drive out to the DC area.

I would say the only couple of small negatives were the room air conditioning seemed a little loud and somewhat overwhelmed by the heat. It worked but the room did not get as cool as some other residence Inn Rooms I have stayed at. However, these were minor and I would definitely consider staying here the next time I bring the family out.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Michael G, General Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Arlington Ballston, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
It is wonderful hearing of your pleasurable experience and that the accommodations, service and location all met your needs. I apologize that your room did not cool to the temperature you desired and we have already serviced the unit from your suite to ensure this does not happen again. Thank you for taking the time to let us and everyone know of you happiness with the Residence Inn Arlington Ballston and we will be sure to make your next stay with us even better!
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

We spent nearly two weeks at this new Marriott Residence Inn and enjoyed our stay. As others have noted, this is a new property, and as such it is a step up from some of the older properties in this chain in the area - the rooms are better laid out and feel larger. As far as our one-bedroom suite went, the king bed was great and the living room furniture very comfortable (a large sectional sofa in place of the odd and uncomfortable sort of chaise I've seen in other Residence Inns, along with an armchair and ottoman). The windows don't open, which is too bad, but at the height of summer the A/C worked perfectly and the sealed windows do mean great soundproofing. We faced the building currently under construction and didn't find it unpleasantly noisy.

What sets this Residence Inn apart is the staff - from the front desk to the housekeepers, everyone seems happy to be working there and eager to make their guests' stay pleasant. I was really impressed by the friendliness and professionalism of all concerned.

The hotel has the usual Residence Inn amenities - enough washers and dryers in the laundry room, a useful business center off the lobby, well-equipped gym, plus a small but welcome indoor pool. Breakfasts and the three-days-a-week light dinners were standard but well done, and again the staff were first-rate.

Finally, we traveled with our two small dogs, and the hotel made them feel at home, too. We enjoyed breakfasts out on the back patio with them, and there are plenty of nice walks nearby including a park right across the street. The housekeeping staff was extremely flexible about being available either when we could supervise the dogs or take them out, as well as just providing towels, etc., when we didn't have time for a full cleaning.

Room Tip: 01 rooms (401, 501, etc) are great for dogs, as they are corner suites with no direct neighbors (sep...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
We are happy to know that you and your two dogs enjoyed your stay with us as we always welcome our four legged friends to relax with us! I appreciate your comments describing many of the features that we offer and of the level of service we provide. Thank you and we look forward to seeing you on your next visit.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

My stay at the Residence Inn Arlington Ballston exceeded by expectations. I cancelled another reservation so that I could return to the hotel. I stayed for a total of 4 nights. Each day was equally amazing. The hotel has been open for only 2 months. The hotel and rooms are very clean. The staff is exceptional; very helpful and pleasant. Housekeeping provides great daily service and the front desk is great at anticipating your needs and trying to assist you. The hotel is located within walking distance of a mall and metro stop. I also walked to the Clarendon area (>1 mile) which offered a great deal of options for guests. Breakfast can get busy on the weekends and they should consider a second waffle maker but over the stay was great! I definitely recommend this hotel for business travelers and families.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
We are thrilled that you switched reservations to stay with us and we are equally happy that you continue to be impressed. Thank you for expressing such kind thoughts and we are excited to see you back soon!

Been to Residence Inn by Marriott Arlington Ballston? Share your experiences!