“Great Grazing” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Curious Grape is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 675 restaurants in Arlington
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Private Dining
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Transit: The Curious Grape is located directly opposite the Shirlington bus terminal on South Quincy Street in Arlington, Virginia.
Description: The destination spot in Shirlington for those with a passion for food and wine, the Curious Grape offers a contemporary seasonal menu of American fare with locally sourced ingredients. Enjoy either full or half portions of selected menu items as well as over 400 wines and 100 craft beers from our store.
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great Grazing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

We love the option of small portions and sharing and this restaurant makes that a snap. Excellent food and wine and sweet service made the experience a pleasure. We had outstanding sardines, gorgeous mushrooms, well-priced wines to match our choices, and a fine expresso truffle for desert. This was a delightful surprise on a brief overnight in Arlington, VA and we would normally have been in DC at someplace more expensive and less innovative. Go. You'll find something you want to eat and drink without leaving your wallet empty.

87% Recommend
Alexandria, Virginia
“The chef is brilliant and the food is amazing! Fit for Foodies!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

The chef is brilliant and the food is amazing! Have you ever had a fresh sardine? I hadn't. It was a completely unexpected pleasure. They were offering that as a app special. Who knew how fresh, sweet, clean, and delicious a sardine could be? The oysters rocked the house. I also highly recommend the fluke. We also had the halibut special and it was to die for. I never order chicken but am so glad we did. It's absolutely the best chicken I have ever had. The skin is crispy and delicious. The short ribs - OMG! This place is fit for foodies for sure! Loved it! I forgot to mention the wine. Full or half glass pairings to go with your full or half portion. Great idea! I will definitely be back!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Inexperienced staff ruins experience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Food at Curious Grape is creative and well presented, although there were a few hiccups. I had a very well prepared piece of hailbut that was marooned on a bed of some gooey and gritty vegatable...couldn't quite tell if was sauteed scallions or fennel (which you should be able to tell apart), but in either case it detrated from the fish.

The wine list is very interesting and modestly priced.

The staff was highly inexpericed, bordering on inept. It took three people to get two of us seated in a restaurant that was not even half full. Not sure who was in charge. The waitress was right out of a sitcom...overbearing, loud and screaming with enthusiasm. After a machine gun-like recitation of the specials, she disappeared for long spans of time only to pounce back on our table occasionally to check in. Needless to say, the second glass of wine arrived after the meals had been cleared.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Orlando, Florida
“Great Food in a great atmosphere!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Having read about it in TripAdvisor and being close to the hotel I was staying at, I decided to give it a try. Knowing it was going to be busy on a Saturday night at 9ish, I ventured anyway as a single diner. There's a wine/dessert bar I was able to get a seat at. The atmosphere was very friendly and I always enjoy watching the interaction of guests and servers/bartenders, etc. Service was excellent, but food timing a little slow. I was told it was what I ordered, s braised short rib dish that after getting, was outstanding. I was most impressed with a brussel sprout, pear and pork belly salad that I would go back definitely for the next time in the DC area! Sitting at the dessert side of the bar, I was able to also enjoy watching the baking of their chocolate souffles, preparation of the variety of desserts and the server interactions. I would definitely be making a return visit!

Visited March 2013
Falls Church, Virginia
“Plan to spend the evening”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

This is a wonderful restaurant for people who want to enjoy their food and aren't hurrying off to another event. You really want to savor the experience. The menu was fun and creative, the wine pairings were interesting and our service was fine. Our server took time to answer all of our questions and offered suggestions. It was nice to have the option for the 1/2 glass of wine and I certainly took advantage of that having a different wine with my starter, entree and dessert (yes, you should save room for the dessert!) The 1/2 portion entree option is also a plus particularly if you are saving room for dessert. I also appreciated having the opportunity to purchase a couple of bottles of wine that we had tasted. You don't have to be a wine expert, in fact, this is a great way to try wines that you wouldn't ordinarily think about trying - again the advantage of 1/2 glass option. Go have fun and don't hurry through your meal.

• 5 of 5 stars Food

Been to The Curious Grape? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage The Curious Grape, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.