“Great stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
Indianapolis
“Great stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2011

I stayed for a long weekend. The hotel is in a good location which is just a couple of blocks from the Court House Metro stop. There are some restaurants nearby which made it convenient. All of the Hilton employees I came in contact with were very helpful. The bed was comfortable. I didn't hear any noise through the walls. The hotels in downtown Washington are very expensive but the Hilton Garden Inn is a good value.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2011

Our family (with small children) stayed for 3 nights at the Hilton Garden Inn. I was pleasantly suprised at the accomodations. Great value at $89 per night! It was nothing super fancy, but the queen sized beds were very comfortable and the room was spacious. We loved having a mini-fridge and microwave in our room. Starbucks coffee was a nice perk! :) I liked that we could place our do not disturb sign on the door while we got ready to go out for the day and remove it before leaving and would come back to our room nice & tidy and clean towels even though they were hung to indicate we'd reuse them! :) Also, we loved that every night when we'd come in from a long cold day of sightseeing there was always a pot of Starbucks brewing in the lobby to help us thaw out!
We stayed right across from the elevator on the 8th floor and we never heard any noise. Very short walk to the Metro station and lots of eating establishments within walking distance. We would definitely stay in this hotel again. Thanks Hilton Garden Inn for making our stay a great one!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Virginia Beach, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2011

This hotel is pretty good in many respects. I stayed here with one other person for the New Year's weekend. There are many good restaurants within walking distance, in addition to convenience stores and fast food. The room was small (and the bathroom, even smaller) but it was clean and comfortable. The thermostat was a little tricky to work with (digital thermostat on the wall) but I got the hang of it. I was a bit concerned with the fact that a tray containing food sat on the floor across the hall from Friday night when I checked in, to Sunday morning when I checked out, without being moved by any staff members. I wonder if this type of behavior will or has caused any sort of bug infestations or rodent visitors. I hadn't seen any critters, thank goodness, but that doesn't mean they're not there. Another issue was parking, the parking garage is small and only ideal for compact cars since the spaces are so narrow. Be aware that if the capacity of the garage is exceeded, you will be asked to park about 3 blocks away at a free metro parking lot. Not only is this dangerous for some, and inconvenient, but it's also pointless if you're PAYING to park at the hotel. Obviously this happens often enough for them to make an agreement with METRO for guests to park in their lots. Staff was average. Other than that, it was a good deal, nice comfy hotel close to DC, pentagon city, metro, etc.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
HGIAAR01, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Arlington Courthouse Plaza, responded to this review, January 12, 2011
We would like to “Thank you” for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. As we know you have plenty of choices to choose from when it comes down to finding a Hotel in the Arlington/DC area. We are happy with the fact that you rated us Pretty Good for the Value, but we always know we could do a whole lot better. As you mentioned, we are conveniently located next to many great restaurants and stores. In regards to the food tray being left outside of your door for two nights, this is unacceptable for us and should have been picked up the next morning. We will make certain to bring this up in our next stand up meeting as a priority for the Restaurant and Housekeeping! As for the parking situation on New Year’s Eve, that was out of the ordinary for our parking garage. We had guests that registered 3 to 4 cars per room which led to the garage over filling so quickly and I sincerely apologize for that issue.

We do hope that you chose our Hotel again in the near future and look forward to having you lodge with us on your special occasions.
Fishers, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2011

Our experience at this hotel was wonderful. The staff was all very friendly and helpful. Our room and the common areas were all perfectly clean and tidy. The supplies supplied in our room (coffee, personal care products, etc.) were all of top quality. The parking garage was very convenient and safe, as was access to and from. The location is perfect, a short walk from many great places to eat and the Courthouse Metro station. Lastly, despite arriving before and staying through New Year's Eve and New Year's Day, the nightly rates were incredibly reasonable. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone needing to stay in Arlington or anywhere near Washington, D.C.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Strongsville, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2011

My family and I stayed at this Hilton Property over a long weekend in early October. We enjoyed our stay and loved the location! Many walkable resturants and we generally felt safe walking around the area. The hotel staff was very eager to please and felt they met our needs when requested. Breakfast was really nice! We paid for the breakfasts online which were included in the price of the room. The buffet was nice with eggs,potatoes, bacon, sausage and a wide assortment of breads and juices. Parking is cramped but I felt the price was the best around and the metro was a 2 minute walk. We would stay at this hotel again as it was a great value (139.00/night).

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
West Linn, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2010

I've stayed at this HGI property a number of times over the years. This past stay was my last. While the positive comments of others should be considered, my reasons for switching to another nearby HGI include:
1. Dangerous Parking. Parking costs $12/night. To squeeze additional revenue out of the limited parking are under the hotel, management has placed stalls along the walls and has made most of the stalls very narrow. If you're driving anything other than a sub-compact, you'll have difficulty getting into or out of your parking space.
2. Mediocre Food Quality. When I get scrambled eggs, I want eggs, not something that comes out of a box marked "with citric acid added to maintain freshness." The wait-staff are indifferent and the quality of the cooked items is, at best, "institutional."
3. An Aging Property That Begs for "10" Customer Survey Ratings. The hotel itself is showing its age. The rooms are on the small side for a typical HGI, especially the bathrooms. And everywhere you go in the hotel, at thew front desk, and throughout yhour rooms, the hotel's management virtually begs guests to give the hotel a "10" rating. This sort of practice should be banned by Hilton.
4. Indifferent front desk staff. I paid for two rooms for three nights, a total of six room nights. On a number of occasions during my stay I interacted with front desk staff and found them to be, at best, indifferent and abrupt. In particular, the front desk person on duty the morning I checked out declined to perform a simple task (combining folios) and made it clear to me that my request was a bother and inconvenience.
I've had a couple of email exchanges with the hotel's general manager about my issues and I've also communicated with Hilton corporate (I am a Hilton Diamond HHonors member), making it clear that I will not stay again at this HGI property.
While the price may be relatively low, in my opinion there are other better choices in the area; I for one will not be returning to this property.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Norton Shores, MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2010

My husband and I have been staying at this hotel all week. We are here with a large group of Vietnam Vets that have been attending activities for Veteran's Day.

We don't think you could find a better place to stay for location. It is easy to catch a bus, the metro, or a cab if you need to go into Washington, D.C. Anything closer (within 2 miles) can be reached by the hotel shuttle. This includes visits to Arlington Cemetery. Very friendly driver.

We were especially impressed with our check-in and all the help the staff at the desk gave us throughout the week. We really wanted a good pizza one night and one of the staff members recommended Fire Works. It was excellent! Easy to walk to and a fun place to
go for dinner. In fact, we tried to recommend it on Trip Advisor, but it wasn't listed yet. It just opened in August of 2010. We're waiting to have Trip Advisor contact us so it can be listed as a super place to eat.

The rooms were not the very best Hilton quality we have experienced, but good size and comfortable. We did not dine here so we cannot evaluate the food. We took the advice of others on Trip Advisor and chose establishments nearby that were rated high.

We plan on being here next year on Veteran's Day and really wouldn't plan on staying anywhere else.

• Stayed November 2010

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Arlington Courthouse Plaza? Share your experiences!